V-POWER HK SENT ME A BAD BATTERY

timber

1 mW
THEY WONT SEND ME MY MONEY OR A NEW BATTERY BACK

PLEASE DONT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE

this is the third or fourth time he has created a trash thread and never replied when we asked him to show us what was wrong.

jim was able to talk volgood into taking back his pack that was short, and volgood even paid shipping, so i wonder why this guy did not work out something with volgood already.

there is more to this than whineing, and he could just pm cammycc through pm from the ES mailbot.

Yeah. This timber person doesn't seem very interested in solving his/her supposed problem. Just what you would expect from a v-power competitor shill posing as a v-power customer.

To me timber is vpower employee was been dismiss. so angry and hate his pose him as sad customer. he got no evident, no ems tracking no, no photos to tell how bad is the battery was.

my friend recently bought a battery from Vpower. 24v of 30hr, it trip/ shut out 22km/h. He got to unplug and plug the power back to get this electric bike run. the BMS could be maulfuction. My friend is using a cyclone motor of 360watts. he had received USD$ 20 for sending wrong charger of 3hr. he is supposed to ordered a 5amper, luckily he got vpower refund his USD20. Why trip and and trip power shut out ? i have read people using vpower battery tends to trip whenever hit a bump, luckily as for my it didn't , never through out my trips or since i own the battery by vpower. I do not recommend the vpower battery seriously got some issue. My friend surname As Goh, the vpower has a silly employee put his surname as GOD. my friend is very taken back !! i told my friend maybe vpower must have used to change employee and re-employ again. some body had order 3amper and 5 amper from vpower ,, what happens? the customer received two 3amper chargers and ONE 5amper charger. I am sure he don't understand English or is a super blurr employee must have been sacked - maybe he is the one who send 3 chargers instead of 2, making the vpower to lose $$.

funny people is out here,
cheers' all my friend for Love electric bikes!
electric bike = True freedom here
kentlim

I'm having a similar problem! I recieved the battery today. Plug it in to charge and the charger started to smoke. I saw on other forum that this is a common problem with bad chargers from vpower so I didn't think much of it. Then I noticed that the insulation on the wire leading to the battery was melting. This is crazy. Just from being on the charger for 5 minutes. I'll post pictures. However I'm new here so I'm not sure how yet.

computerdude said:
I saw on other forum that this is a common problem with bad chargers from vpower...

Hi computerdude,
Please forgive our skepticism, but many different e-bike component vendors log on here with disposable sock-puppet usernames/accounts and try to trash their competitors. This kind of activity tends to obscure the more useful and interesting discussions that are this forum's raison d'etre.

Would you mind posting a link to the other forum where you said users were complaining about bad chargers from vpower?

kentlim26 said:
To me timber is vpower employee was been dismiss. so angry and hate his pose him as sad customer. he got no evident, no ems tracking no, no photos to tell how bad is the battery was.

my friend recently bought a battery from Vpower. 24v of 30hr, it trip/ shut out 22km/h. He got to unplug and plug the power back to get this electric bike run. the BMS could be maulfuction. My friend is using a cyclone motor of 360watts. he had received USD$ 20 for sending wrong charger of 3hr. he is supposed to ordered a 5amper, luckily he got vpower refund his USD20. Why trip and and trip power shut out ? i have read people using vpower battery tends to trip whenever hit a bump, luckily as for my it didn't , never through out my trips or since i own the battery by vpower. I do not recommend the vpower battery seriously got some issue. My friend surname As Goh, the vpower has a silly employee put his surname as GOD. my friend is very taken back !! i told my friend maybe vpower must have used to change employee and re-employ again. some body had order 3amper and 5 amper from vpower ,, what happens? the customer received two 3amper chargers and ONE 5amper charger. I am sure he don't understand English or is a super blurr employee must have been sacked - maybe he is the one who send 3 chargers instead of 2, making the vpower to lose $$.

funny people is out here,
cheers' all my friend for Love electric bikes!
electric bike = True freedom here
kentlim
Thank you for the insight, kentlim.
Singapore, so far away, and English, such a difficult language,
yet your message comes through loud and clear as the Truth.

thanks!

Reid. Come to Miami for vacation?
I will show you our town and loan you my ebike for a day of touring Coconut Grove!

julesa said:
computerdude said:
I saw on other forum that this is a common problem with bad chargers from vpower...

Hi computerdude,
Please forgive our skepticism, but many different e-bike component vendors log on here with disposable sock-puppet usernames/accounts and try to trash their competitors. This kind of activity tends to obscure the more useful and interesting discussions that are this forum's raison d'etre.

Would you mind posting a link to the other forum where you said users were complaining about bad chargers from vpower?

No problem julesa. I assure you I'm not a puppet. I'm not a vendor in any way or form. Well I work retail so I guess maybe I am a vendor, lol, but not for this. I'm actually trying to get a refund from this guy and he ignores any emails relating to it. Luckily I paid with Paypal so if all else fails. I'll have to give them a call. As for the link you asked for here it is http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11515 . Well after reading that it says he got the chargers from volgood. But I'm going to assume the chargers are the same.

I'm a little confused. I tried plugging my sla charger to my lifepo4 battery and it instantly went up in smoke(the charger that is)? I found it odd. I have a new one on order anyway. But I'll be honest I'm really surprised it blew up. Any insight on this?

EDIT:
I opened up the vpower.hk charger to see if I could see if anything was wrong. Looks the same as the one I see in the pictures in the link above. The fuse was blown. I had a few glass fuses around. I tried a 3 amp fuse plugged in the charger to the wall and it blew. Then same this with a 5amp fuse. Then I tried a 15amp fuse. That made a real nice light show when it blew up. Scaring the crap out of me. I also noticed the charger is 50hz, I live in Canada where it's 60hz. Could this have caused the charger to fry?

Looks like you have a pretty bad short circuit somewhere, possibly in the BMS. Good luck getting any CS from china. Hopefully the vendor is just taking a few days off and will send you some new stuff once he reads his emails. Unfortunately there are a few of em that do refuse to back thier product. If you post us some very clear pix of the bms and the wiring to the battery maybe we can spot something obviously wrong. We are happy to help anybody with a legit problem when we can.

dogman said:
Looks like you have a pretty bad short circuit somewhere, possibly in the BMS. Good luck getting any CS from china. Hopefully the vendor is just taking a few days off and will send you some new stuff once he reads his emails. Unfortunately there are a few of em that do refuse to back thier product. If you post us some very clear pix of the bms and the wiring to the battery maybe we can spot something obviously wrong. We are happy to help anybody with a legit problem when we can.

Hi Dogman,

Vpower is actually ignoring any email for any replacement or refund. When I asked him what he could do for me. He tried to sell me another charger. But at this point I really just want my money back. I have some pictures of the bms, sorry the camera I'm using isn't the greatest but it's all I have on hand right now.

Attachments

• bms4.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 492
the pictures aren't much use, the black wire in the bottom picture should be continuous with the shunt, the little red wire i assume is for the charger.

usually when there is a large short, it indicates you have reversed polarity on your charger. do you connect the + from the charger to the + on the pack?

I only cooked 3 chargers myself that way, getting the hang of e bikes. That's a real likely thing to be wrong. The pantera scooter chargers, for one, came with the plugs wired backwards from all other small scooters. It would be far from the first ebay battery sent with a charger wired with the polarity wrong. And like I was saying, it took me three fried chargers to learn to check polarity, put on connectors, and check polarity again before plugging in. :roll:

Not trying to dig on you computerdude, but the symptoms you describe fit backwards polarity to a T. Others in your dilemma have gotten batteries working by replacing both bms and charger with one from another source, such as ping. Good luck with your paypal dispute.

I opened a paypal dispute. And vpower decided to send me a charger right away. :) Seems people get scared when you have a way of getting your money back.

I took a volt meter to the battery directly. And got 50.3V. Then did it through the BMS and same result. So Dogman is probably right about that polarity issue. It makes so much sense! I have no idea why I didn't think of that earlier. So far so good.

So now I have a question, when I get the charger am I connecting postive to postive on the battery. Or positive to negative. I don't want to blow it up again. No fun taking the bus to work. The time I spend waiting for a bus I'm already there on my ebike :D

Are we allowed to post links to other sites here? If not I'll edit this after. But I found this site the other nite and it's been very useful.

http://www.scootercatalog.com/

connect positive on the charger to positive on the battery. i must admit i am surprised at how many people blow up their charger by connecting it reversed. and i have seen a few cases where people hooked up the controller backwards, so you are not alone.

i think it will be hard to win your paypal dispute if you are actually honest about it now. maybe you can understand why the sellers get so annoyed with people wanting to return the battery for no apparent reason other than not being able to hook it up.

can't believe i am expressing sympathy for cammycc and volgood. but they really are just supplying what people want, the very cheapest battery that can be bot on ebay.

maybe once you get beyond this we can you help fix the charger you blew up too.

dnmun said:
can't believe i am expressing sympathy for cammycc and volgood. but they really are just supplying what people want, the very cheapest battery that can be bot on ebay.

Arguably, it wouldn't be that difficult or expensive for a seller of integrated battery/bms/charger packages to install connectors that are impossible to hook up backwards. For all we know, vpower used connectors like that, but wired them wrong, and didn't bother testing before shipping them to computerdude. Just sayin'.

dnmun said:
connect positive on the charger to positive on the battery. i must admit i am surprised at how many people blow up their charger by connecting it reversed. and i have seen a few cases where people hooked up the controller backwards, so you are not alone.

i think it will be hard to win your paypal dispute if you are actually honest about it now. maybe you can understand why the sellers get so annoyed with people wanting to return the battery for no apparent reason other than not being able to hook it up.

maybe once you get beyond this we can you help fix the charger you blew up too.

Its not about winning the dispute. Itès about getting them to honour their warrenties. Everything came prewired. My sla charger actually did have the right pinout but it failed too. But it was a really old beast. I just want the charger vpower sent me replaced. He was ignoring me so I filed a dispute. I actually think the polarity on both chargers was right. So besides polarity what else could have happened.

On my sla when I opened it the fuse where the ac power comes in was intact. However from the battery side where there was no fuse thereès burn marks.

From the pics, the soldering job on the BMS looks pretty awful. Could be a short somewhere in there, or they could have messed up which BMS pads go to which wires. Hard to tell from the photos.

dnmun said:
that does sound most likely. seems like all the chargers have a plug with polarity built into it.

Mine came with just the bare wires, but like you said, some of us are going for the cheapest stuff available. :) I didn't buy an integrated package though; I probably would have had to replace the charger connectors anyway.

julesa said:
From the pics, the soldering job on the BMS looks pretty awful. Could be a short somewhere in there, or they could have messed up which BMS pads go to which wires. Hard to tell from the photos.

Sorry about the photos. I will post clearer ones later tonight. I had lent my good camera to someone the other day. I did check the polarity coming out of the BMS and it seemed ok. It didnèt blow up my volt meter :lol:

do you have a 48V15Ah pack? is it possible that the charger was the wrong one? your voltmeter is protected by high impedance. when there is a big short, that means very low impedance. as in positive connected to negative, ouch.

dnmun said:
do you have a 48V15Ah pack? is it possible that the charger was the wrong one? your voltmeter is protected by high impedance. when there is a big short, that means very low impedance. as in positive connected to negative, ouch.

My pack is 48v 20ah. Sorry for the brief answers. At work at the moment.

Hey guys. Sorry my friend still has my camera. I managed to get my sla charger to work for now on my sla battery. Replaced a capacitor that was bulging and created a bridge with some wire wire 2 shunts use to be. Or at least I think it was a shunt. Checked polarity and it was right! Only this is the fan isn't spinning properly anymore. But the output voltage is 60 Volts. I was getting 1 volt before. So hopefully this will work til I get a new one.

Back