• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Voilamart 1500 watt kit questions for noob

Tork

10 µW
Greetings all, I'm barand new to the e-bike world and am kinda stumbling through my first build. I acquired a voilamart 1500 48volt rear wheel kit recently, it went on my Cannondale MTB nicely but still waiting on the battery. My first question is, being the kit came with a grip throttle that just has a small display and a red button on it how do I adjust the settings like PA, wheel size and the other things you can do with some display controllers? I also acquired a salvaged 36volt Espin battery, is it of any use on my build? Also what other suggestions do you have for me going forward with this build? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• ebike.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Why would you want to adjust anything? You should be happy it runs at all. 36v battery will most likely be fine. These controllers usually have battery voltage autorecognition (or no recognition at all).

LOL! yes I am happy but the 36 volt battery only shows 1 bar on the display and it will only run for a second then power off?

I bought one I run it on a lyen @ 72v 30 amp 2,400 watts. It seems a little slow. As I have a 1,500 watt edge dd with aluminum stator and cooling fins different bike. The edge gave up its magnets in both my edge motors eyes how are you able to collect enough magnets to J-B weld them in. I need to move that motor over to the lyen controller to compare both motors but I'm lazy.they should work pretty close to the same as they are both 35 mm stators.

Tork said:
Greetings all, I'm barand new to the e-bike world and am kinda stumbling through my first build. I acquired a voilamart 1500 48volt rear wheel kit recently, it went on my Cannondale MTB nicely but still waiting on the battery. My first question is, being the kit came with a grip throttle that just has a small display and a red button on it how do I adjust the settings like PA, wheel size and the other things you can do with some display controllers? I also acquired a salvaged 36volt Espin battery, is it of any use on my build? Also what other suggestions do you have for me going forward with this build? Thank you in advance!

A link to the kit would be helpful, but looking at the pictures, it looks like your controller may support a display unit (the 5 pin JST), perhaps optional. Without that, you likely don't have a way to modify any settings except for the blue jumpered wires.

The display on the throttle will only provide an "accurate" reading when you use a 48V battery. Higher or lower voltages won't be "accurate". The controller is likely shutting off with 36V because it likely has a low voltage cutoff that is set for a 48V battery. If the controller supported multiple voltages, it would normally be labeled 36V/48V.

Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking those same things about the 36volt. Any suggestions on a display?

Tork said:
Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking those same things about the 36volt. Any suggestions on a display?

Yeah it sounds like the display does not support a 36 V battery so that’s why it’s turning off. Once you get the proper battery you shouldn’t have this issue with it turning off. Maybe you mentioned above but do you plan on buying the proper battery 48v, I think you said you’re waiting?

If its anything like the 1000 watt kit, the one that comes with a display costs like 50 bucks more but has a different controller. the 5 or 7 pin connector or whatever goes into that multifunction throttle/display/power switch

A#1 tighten your spokes through your wheel will turn it will untrue go somewhere and have them true and tighten spokes you need to tighten spokes if the wheel is straight and the spokes are loose the rim will get crooked the most notorious thing is they don't true the rim or the rim could be straight but the spokes are loose and will cause you complications

Tork said:
LOL! yes I am happy but the 36 volt battery only shows 1 bar on the display and it will only run for a second then power off?

I don't get by red button which display is that? Can you link or upload a picture?

LVC is around 42v, no way to change it as far as i know...hence it showing 1 bar of charge and going dead as soon as cells sag under load

Thanks for all the great insight folks. Some of the replys have got me thinking more..like if my controller has a 5pin that connects to my throttle and I connect that 5 pin to the display ,what do I use for a throttle?? Or how do I split up the wires to go to the throttle and display?

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_104328.jpg
    IMG_20210122_104328.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_20210122_105010.jpg
    IMG_20210122_105010.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_20210122_104804.jpg
    IMG_20210122_104804.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 523
Tork said:
Or how do I split up the wires to go to the throttle and display?

You’ll need to test the wires to figure out which wire is the throttle wire. Is there a headlight function on that twist throttle as well?

Edit: also you need to start shopping for a 48V battery. Plus anyways you wouldn’t be happy with the performance of a 36v. Not to mention it wouldn’t work with this controller anyway

Tork said:
Thanks for all the great insight folks. Some of the replys have got me thinking more..like if my controller has a 5pin that connects to my throttle and I connect that 5 pin to the display ,what do I use for a throttle?? Or how do I split up the wires to go to the throttle and display?

If the 5 pin is for your throttle, then 3 wires are to the throttle, and the other two are used to switch the controller on and off, and provide battery level voltage for the display on the throttle. Your controller doesn't support a display or changing settings.

EDIT: TommyCat pointed out that the connector in the picture is 6 wires. I have a similar throttle that came with my kit that I never installed/used, but mine has bars for the battery level, not a voltage readout. if yours has a voltage readout, then it should be accurate. Mine doesn't have any extra buttons to change controller settings, and it looks like yours doesn't either.

I purchased the same Voilamart 1500W kit a year ago and I just found the wiring diagram online.

s-l1600.jpg

I don't think you want to split the wire from the throttle to display. Voilamart does make another kit that supports a larger display but not for the 1500W kit.

Even if you get a third party display, it may not work at all with the voilamart controller.

If I were you, I'd start by getting a 48V battery. That should your resolve your starting issue. If you want to upgrade to something nicer later, there are other kits out there that come with a larger display.

This one for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-36V48V250W-1500w-Built-In-Programmable-Controller-E-Bike-Kit-26/254666839029?hash=item3b4b5393f5:g:vxYAAOSwFf1fqlzo

Attachments

• voilamart diagram.jpg
    voilamart diagram.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 429
Back