Voltage and watts of Motor

pmmali

10 mW
I still don't know these details, even if I ask someone, they won't tell me

what is the difference between 1000watts and 2000Watts motors? if the motor watts are higher, than the bike can hold more weight or it can ride long?

What is the advantage of increasing the voltage of the motor?
because some Electric bike motors are 48V, and some are 60V, some motors are 72 0r 86 Volts

What are the benefits of increasing the voltage and watts of the motor?

Its marekting hype, depending on who's spouting the terms.

Some sellers will sell a 35h width motor, commonly spouted as 1500w and state that its really a 250w motor to snag extra income from UK and AUS sales which have a legal limit is 250w.

Other sellers will be more accurate and honest in their sales pitch and give you a range of power.

If the kit is being sold as a kit, perhaps the discharge amps of the controller is multiplied by the voltage they are using and they give that # for their wattage rating. But they could be using a 5000w mxus 45h motor, for your 250w uk kit, how would you know any better if you really didnt know. Also, it can give the illusion that the seller has more unique product then they really do, only having to stock one motor like a Leaf 1500w 35h, for their entire lineup.

Thats part of the reason why they COULD be so ambigious, along with the communication factor. But I see it like a used car salesman stating little needed info on the ad, to get you to take action, then they skip into action selling stuff.

Whatever the power or power range is, you could go 1v 1200a for 1200w or 12v x 100a for 1200w, which is all the same power as a 48v 25a 1200w.
36v and 48v and 52v are just easy things to deal with rather then huge, massive, welding gauge wires for 1v 1200a.
For that matter cost of a 1v 1200a controller would be sky high.
Same goes for high voltage controllers, over 100v gets $$$$ - because perhaps 100v caps is the limiting factor, or design.... not my cup of tea so I dont know why. The sweet spot is 36v/48/52/72 volts for the wires and componentry (caps, fets and so on), if you wanted more speed then go 72v, if you want more power then up amps or up volts to 72v.

Voltage = Speed

Amps = Torque

Wheel size = either higher speed with lower torque (larger wheel 29"/700) or slower speed with some extra torque (smaller wheel, 20" bmx diameter) - Dont forget you cant go too small, have to lace hub to rim with spokes. There might be a special term for the wheel torque, perhaps effective torque or something. Just like a wrench, grab a bar = more torque to undo the bolt or nut.

Increasing torque will get you up that hill faster.

Less torque means you get up that hill slower, heating up the motor more and perhaps requiring you to pedal more or not.

It all depends on what you want, this is why there are motor simulators and trip simulators to play with
Can be a bit tricky to decode and understand each pull down menu and how one affects the other. Like the same hub, different motor winding debate that roared on and on and on.

https://ebikes.ca/tools.html

pmmali said:

what is the difference between 1000watts and 2000Watts motors? if the motor watts are higher, than the bike can hold more weight or it can ride long?

What is the advantage of increasing the voltage of the motor?
because some Electric bike motors are 48V, and some are 60V, some motors are 72 0r 86 Volts

What are the benefits of increasing the voltage and watts of the motor?

Very complicated.
But ez way out . The motors are rated continuous use.
100v x10amps =1,000watts
50v x 20amps =1,000;watts
A 1,000 watt direct drive 28mm hub can take more wattage till it melts
A 1,500;watt motor is 35mm stator
But a mxus 3,000w is 45mm stator and a QS 3,000 watt is 50 mm satator.
They can all take 10,000 Watts the 1,000 watt will melt the fastest the QS 3,000 watt will take the longest. Bigger satator more wattage for longer.

What are your needs an ebike or something else. Flats or hills ?

pmmali said:

Be persistent, and just keep asking them. Sooner or later you'll catch them in a weak moment, or they'll just get tired of the question and tell you.

I was told a motor doesn't know voltage as they can run on a wide range of voltage it's in combination of amperage which equals wattage.
V x A = watts

999zip999 said:
Very complicated.
But ez way out . The motors are rated continuous use.
100v x10amps =1,000watts
50v x 20amps =1,000;watts
A 1,000 watt direct drive 28mm hub can take more wattage till it melts
A 1,500;watt motor is 35mm stator
But a mxus 3,000w is 45mm stator and a QS 3,000 watt is 50 mm satator.
They can all take 10,000 Watts the 1,000 watt will melt the fastest the QS 3,000 watt will take the longest. Bigger satator more wattage for longer.

What are your needs an ebike or something else. Flats or hills ?

Thank you. something understood but confused.
it is not about Hill or Flat road. the problem is. i am repairing ( electric and electronics) EV bikes. but not learned from anyway. just doing it practically.

Sellers simply saying. if the motor battery is 72 volt. then the bike is power full. if the motor is 200W then it will more power full.
but they dont know technically how to say it. Power-full mean on what basis, if the bike is more than 1000w it can ride faster? or it can hold too weight? or it can go any hill without problem? if i ask like this question. they dont know what to say. so far i did not drive any ebike or scooter more than 2km. we just Repair. ( replace faulty Part) and hand over the bike to client.

Your best bet to understand how this works is to go to http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html , read the entire page to see what each control is and how it works, and then play with various setups to see what they can do under various conditions.

If you want it explained in words, your best bet is to read around the forum for the many discussions about this kind of thing over the years. It will take a fair amount of time; the simulator would show it more easily, as it is a complex relationship, and it does depend on how the system is used; on what terrain, winds, weight, etc.

Start from basics.
What is 'electric motor', anyway (namely 3 phase permanent magnet motor in our case)? How it converts volts and amps into torque and power? Why they are not the same?
What does motor controller actually *do*?
What is 'copper losses' and 'iron losses' when it comes to motors? What is bEMF?

Explaining this all will take too much time (but with keywords above you can google to your heart's content), but this is something you MUST learn if you want to understand what is being talking about, otherwise it is like building a house without a foundation.

Otherwise, even extremely small motor can output kilowatts of power (drone motors that weight tens of gramms but can output a kilowatt).
They don't output much TORQUE though, and spin at very high RPMs to achieve that power. Also, they are cooled by props.

All in all, barring saturation, power output depends not on motor, but on *controller*, and even 250w rated hubs can output kilowatts... just not for long before something melts :)

what is an electric motor, really means click the buy button and ask questions later.

There is no objective way to rate a motor for power - Watts

The answer always is, and has to be, "it depends"

https://ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

Volts really is a user decision, based mostly on the wheel size, the controller and the maximum RPM desired.

Even if a motor is designed to handle 500V that does not mean doing that would be sensible.

Back