Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

remyglass said:
KiefRichards said:
Im having the exact same issue. I connected and it zeroed out my torque and throttle settings. Where did you find the 2.33 software? Mine shows 2.32. Thanks!

http://www.siaecosys.com/list/?classid=21&page=1

click on votol controller software 2021 to download it
( I think I was mistaken when I said that I had ver 2.33..now it seems to show 2.32 as my version, not sure where I thought I saw 2.33)

for the throttle settings I used these numbers I got from the manual
the torque settings are preference..I have since lowered these to 100 and still pulling the front wheel off the ground.
If you are underwhelmed by the torque I suspect your rate of rise is probably set at like 50..or possibly even less. This can be set as high as 250 as far as I know..Rate of decline is how fast the motor decelerates. Once you load the new version of the software you should be able to change these torque values and it will make all the difference.
IMG_3002.jpg

Thanks! I input those values but the controller is now bricked. Such a bummer. The busbar current and overvoltage settings show 0 now. If I change and save those settings, they revert to 0 when I cycle the key.

Maybe Ill try a kelly controller 🤷‍♂️

KiefRichards said:
remyglass said:
KiefRichards said:
Im having the exact same issue. I connected and it zeroed out my torque and throttle settings. Where did you find the 2.33 software? Mine shows 2.32. Thanks!

http://www.siaecosys.com/list/?classid=21&page=1

click on votol controller software 2021 to download it
( I think I was mistaken when I said that I had ver 2.33..now it seems to show 2.32 as my version, not sure where I thought I saw 2.33)

for the throttle settings I used these numbers I got from the manual
the torque settings are preference..I have since lowered these to 100 and still pulling the front wheel off the ground.
If you are underwhelmed by the torque I suspect your rate of rise is probably set at like 50..or possibly even less. This can be set as high as 250 as far as I know..Rate of decline is how fast the motor decelerates. Once you load the new version of the software you should be able to change these torque values and it will make all the difference.
IMG_3002.jpg

Thanks! I input those values but the controller is now bricked. Such a bummer. The busbar current and overvoltage settings show 0 now. If I change and save those settings, they revert to 0 when I cycle the key.

Maybe Ill try a kelly controller 🤷‍♂️

Its not bricked. It just means that you have some value out of bounds and rejects all the new values.

Just connect to the controller and click “import param” and find your last working backup file you saved, click on it, and then “write param”.

Alternatively you can try to find the value you entered that is kicking you out, and change that to a valid value.

If you didn’t save your last good file, use the file it came with which you surely saved, then make all the corrections needed to get it paired and working like before, THEN save that configuration file, with the date or some naming scheme.

I tried importing the original parameters, but Im still not anle to save it. It goes back to 0 for busbar current but all other values will save. Ive attached pics of the saved parameters. Maybe something obvious is incorrect?

Attachments

• A99D6858-9A6B-41BC-B1D9-96CA6E9A96FA.jpeg
    A99D6858-9A6B-41BC-B1D9-96CA6E9A96FA.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 2,239
  • A468998F-E69F-4037-9E65-36782756E3E8.jpeg
    A468998F-E69F-4037-9E65-36782756E3E8.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 2,233
  • E2E6F4C0-0703-4FC3-B842-1D924E74E99D.jpeg
    E2E6F4C0-0703-4FC3-B842-1D924E74E99D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2,235
  • 07C7EA84-F9B1-4DF9-B963-3B7AF474ED6C.jpeg
    07C7EA84-F9B1-4DF9-B963-3B7AF474ED6C.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2,237
KiefRichards said:
I tried importing the original parameters, but Im still not anle to save it. It goes back to 0 for busbar current but all other values will save. Ive attached pics of the saved parameters. Maybe something obvious is incorrect?

Can you try selecting EM-150 of 200 before trying to save it? Perhaps it thinks you are setting it too high for the model.

It will always default to the wrong model when you start it because it doesn’t affect the operation but might block excessive values.

If you ever get it working and want to save a new file make sure the right controller model is selected and then when you load that file it will use the correct model, and then adter reboot it goes to the wrong model again but your settings already saved.

KiefRichards said:

From your screenshots it doesnt seem to be connected ..there is no open port. are you able to connect to it properly? I had the wrong drivers first and it would act like it connected but would fail when writing parameters.

I looked through your settings and they are pretty much identical to mine
for PB2 I have (18 sport input)
and for PD15 I have the sw box checked

Yeah it wasn’t connected when I took those pictures.
It will connect and show it saved changes, but the current and overvoltage always go back to zero after reconnecting.

It often takes multiple tries to connect.

Am
I supposed to see rpm change on the “display”
Page when I am connected and turn the rear wheel by hand. Because it doesn’t.

I think I may have a driver issue. I downloaded the prolific driver from the manufacturer in the above link and installed it. When I go into device manager the com the dongle is plugged into shows a fidi driver. If I try to update that com port’s driver to the prolific driver, I get a warning and if I continue my laptop crashes.

Anyone have any idea of what I doing wrong?

The bottom picture is the driver that will connect.
The other pics are me trying to manually assign the driver. I get a warning, my computer crashes and when I restart, the driver is the fidi driver again.

Edit

I discovered that if I uncheck the “can” box before connecting I can connect and see rpm when I turn the wheel. Still wont save settings and shows “controller failure” or overvoltage but not both at same time.

Quick video showing it losing settings after cycling the elock switch

https://youtu.be/FocsbJZgEOw

Update: Harry from qs responded to my emails and said he will send a firmware update “later”. Hopefully later means soon. 🤞

Attachments

• 09A059A8-6966-4D68-BEF6-B2180571BB51.jpeg
    09A059A8-6966-4D68-BEF6-B2180571BB51.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 2,187
  • 0698DC9F-EBF2-42D4-B7E4-FF6296772B8E.jpeg
    0698DC9F-EBF2-42D4-B7E4-FF6296772B8E.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 2,187
  • F030FDB7-69D1-491F-8C4D-96E801C8D39D.jpeg
    F030FDB7-69D1-491F-8C4D-96E801C8D39D.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2,187
So Harry from qs sent me updated firmware and called me on the phone to walk me through the update.
The new firmware didn’t fix it. Will still save all settings except current and overvoltage values, which go to 0 when key is cycled off/on.

I apparently bricked the controller messing with the “ports” settings. Sport mode wasn’t working using the connector with the brown wire, like in the manual. I tried setting the “unused” ports to “sport” one at a time and reseting.
When I switched one to sport and saved it, all the settings in the controller got scrambled. Bad values all over.

Ive read here not to mess with those options unless you know exactly what they do. I should have listened. Qs offered a discounted replacement em150. I’m happy with the support they provided, I’m just a dumbass.

Ive ordered a far driver nd96530 as a replacement. I’m afraid of Votol now.

Thanks for the help with my issues 👍

Edit. Just want to mention I was using the correct driver. The driver shown in the last pic of the previous post is currently the right one.

Paulflieg said:
May I ask what firmware you received, SW2.33?
And are you willing to share them?

The “updated” firmware shows the same version. I have no idea if its actually any different. He sent me 2 versions of firmware, can and non can.

Pm me your email if you still want it.

Sw: 2.32 Hw: 1.13

KiefRichards said:
Paulflieg said:
May I ask what firmware you received, SW2.33?
And are you willing to share them?

The “updated” firmware shows the same version. I have no idea if its actually any different. He sent me 2 versions of firmware, can and non can.

Pm me your email if you still want it.

Sw: 2.32 Hw: 1.13

No, that makes no sense then. I wanted to update from 2.32 to 2.33, thanks.
it also means "do never change a running system".... Maybe it's better that way

Hi Guys, I'm trying to connect my EM150 Votol controller with PC and it's not getting a successful connection. It's always showing this message whenever I try to connect. Says "Communication abnormal, Unable to connect" I tried many softwares including the one I downloaded from this forum. The fun part is this controller was getting connected previously with same computer and now it's not getting connected.

Same issue I found last month with my another controller from same manufacturer (EM200) and after around 50+ times of failed connections I managed to get connected and adjust settings.

I tried to contact QS person and they send me a software which i already have and result is same. I'm attaching screenshot.

More details below.
Controller: Votol EM 150
Motor: QS 3000 V2

Attachments

• wx_camera_1645011426330.jpg
    wx_camera_1645011426330.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,006
rashvin said:
Hi Guys, I'm trying to connect my EM150 Votol controller with PC and it's not getting a successful connection. It's always showing this message whenever I try to connect. Says "Communication abnormal, Unable to connect" I tried many softwares including the one I downloaded from this forum. The fun part is this controller was getting connected previously with same computer and now it's not getting connected.

Same issue I found last month with my another controller from same manufacturer (EM200) and after around 50+ times of failed connections I managed to get connected and adjust settings.

I tried to contact QS person and they send me a software which i already have and result is same. I'm attaching screenshot.

More details below.
Controller: Votol EM 150
Motor: QS 3000 V2

If you haven’t already, check the buadrate of your port in the device manager and make sure it matches. 115200 with CAN not enabled, worked best for me. I found that the most reliable way to connect. If I checked the CAN enable box, It took a few attempts to connect and didn’t show live data on the “dashboard” page.

Are you using an em150/2?

Stefanj. said:
Hey guys,
This is my first post on this forum ever.
Let me introduce myself shortly.
I'm a moped lover who just started looking toward an electric moped. My plan is to use a honda monkey replica rolling frame and make it electrical.
I've bought the qs 2000w mid drive swingarm kit.
Why? Because I loved the look of the swingarm at first sight and it looked like an easy swap with the original monkey swingarm. The kit came with a Votol em-100 controller (72v)
Now my first question for this topic is, does anyone has experience working with this model of controllers in particular?

Any english info about this would help!

Thanks, Stefan.

Hello.
Did you get a good configuration on the controller? can you share it with us? I have the same setting but i can get the best of mine there is always some weird sound on certain rpm.

IronMan said:
HrKlev said:
IronMan said:
Before referring to ports (which is easy) I'll say your config is correct and its at top parameters, the jitter is at maximum and so the other values of calibration, you shouldnt touch them if the motor is spinning smoothly because they are meant only for phase sine wave timing (flux weakening RIGHT boxes in sport, mid and high), even so the mid:0 (its perfect this way), high:6000 (a little high I prefer 5200 in my motor) BUT sport:1200 is at top and a little high, Im surprised the motor doesnt vibrates weirdly at some specific RPM...
The % right boxes you can take up to play with maximum RPM per gear, so if you put 100% in mid (right box I repeat) mid and high should reach its maximum RPM offload, if you let it at 50% and put the high right box at 100% then you will get only maximum RPM at high, I would recommend leaving it low 0-10, mid 50-60, high 10-20, as in this range you will find some nice on the road performance..
Whats the problem with ports? I will tell you in advance that if you want to use a button that doesnt stay grounded but only while you press it, then ypu sould mark the SW box

Hmm.... Sorry, there's so many boxes its a little hard to follow you 100%. I just made a sketch with some numbers, we can refer to, I think that would be much easier;

Inkedpage2.jpg

So, are these assumptions correct?
1 - Phase sine wave timing - dont touch
2 - Jitter, counts for every mode. Or is it flux weakening for sport mode?
3 - Not sure, but it is not for dual voltage three-speed mode like in the previous version?
4 - % of max speed. You said 10-20 for high speed - was that a typo for 100-120?
5 - Phase sine wave timing - dont touch
6 - Flux weakening mid and high mode

I have a couple of questions for the port settings, but I made it work after trial and error. I think page 2 is the most chaotic part for now, so I would appreciate it if you could take the time to fill in what I have misunderstood :)

You got it wrong, left side is normal and right side is calibration..
1 and 5: flux weakening
2 and 6: motor jitter and calibration
3: normal gear % system
4: limits speed somehow, not sure if by current or RPM, but with some values you get full RPM in any speed (offload)

hello. i have problem with my controller em-150 and em-100 with qs-2000w mid-motor 5 poles paire. I try to calibrate it but i can get the value of 200 on Qcurrent: it always ~ >400. After that when i am on specific RPM around 4000rpm and turn off the throttle directly it decelerate too quick like the motor will stop, like there is hard ebrake from the motor. Can you help me.

hi i have a problem do not know if it is controll related but i hope so. the problem is when i drive from a standstill turning fully on the gas. then it sounds like going over the white lines on the road I have it bounces and slams from the tires and chain. it does not sound like that with my snow traks mounted. it may be that I do not get a grip properly.I do not hear any noise on freewheels

Update (em150 protocol Excel)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hAbPDEfygea4pMolaXExn-4dJR8FMsKq/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102395760469625306475&rtpof=true&sd=true

fishblood said:
Carbon2011 said:
HrKlev said:
Carbon2011 said:
Hello everyone from Russia. I apologize for my crooked English, this is a translator. Became the proud owner of the votol em150sp kit and qs138 90h 4000w. I connected everything, removed the parking restriction, connected the throttle stick. Then I connected my laptop to the controller and adjusted the throttle thresholds which I measured in advance with a multimeter. The problem is as follows, when the engine reaches 4800 rpm, it itself sharply raises the rpm to about 6000 and does not reset them even when the throttle stick is released, only turning off the ignition helps. Can anyone come across such a problem and be able to suggest?

I had the same problems and used a lot if time trying to figure out what was going on. Solution? Turned off "low beake" on page 3. I have no idea why, but it is repeatable on my vehicle. Regen on low break signal works without the box ticked, so I have no idea what this box does. Except make my motor go haywire at anything above 4500rpm...
Tried this option but it didn't help

I made a excel can generate protocol for em100, and then use the BT terminal tool which I can use barely cell phone and change the settings.
FYI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayJZ7FeaZd9Fkl-9bxg7g1MrWPa8x7Lb/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IUYZB8QUwD8PTaGSV2B59CWgMIZdr0IB/view?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AaeLlZMFbR05QRcymlXSegphxfpRCbEo/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102395760469625306475&rtpof=true&sd=true

Hello everyone,

first thank you all for this thread, it helped me alot to set up my controller.
I have an EM150 (maybe S Version but not sure) with qs 138 90 H and 22s 91v max battery.
Its an early version of this controller i bought 2 years ago but i finished my Bike the last week.

My problem is the throttle release REGEN, it breaks really hard when i go off the throttle and i dont like that.
I tried to disable it with the funktion PD 15 in Port settings, with setting the EBS ratio on Page 3 to zero and with rate of decline on Page 1 but it still use Regen. Even if i open the Display on PC and rotate the wheel by hand the Checkmark REGEN goes on.

Is there any other way to turn it off?
Maybe an firmware upgrade?
Or trick it with the regen button?

Frimware 2.32
HW 1.13

Thank you for your time!

Soap_62 said:
Hello everyone,

I have an EM150 (maybe S Version but not sure) with qs 138 90 H and 22s 91v max battery.
Its an early version of this controller i bought 2 years ago but i finished my Bike the last week.

My problem is the throttle release REGEN, it breaks really hard when i go off the throttle and i dont like that.
I tried to disable it with the funktion PD 15 in Port settings, with setting the EBS ratio on Page 3 to zero and with rate of decline on Page 1 but it still use Regen. Even if i open the Display on PC and rotate the wheel by hand the Checkmark REGEN goes on.

Frimware 2.32
HW 1.13

Thank you for your time!

I talked to Harry at QS motors about this. He told me that regen is always active and can’t be shut off. I had an em-150/2, fwiw.

Soap_62 said:
Hello everyone,

Frimware 2.32
HW 1.13

Thank you for your time!

I didnt have regen on throttle release, but I was able to activate it with info I found here in the thread.
I dont remember how though.
I also have fw 2.32

Hmm, so even an newer controller ( 150 2-sp ) wont work...
Its really strange, that even with the same HW and SW these controllers do what they want...

share my Android APP which link with EM150 by BT, You may change your settings with your phone anytime/anywhere without carring a notebook PC.

and later give me usage feedback/bug-report plz, thanks.

View attachment em150.7z

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.09.39.png
131696.jpg
131695.jpg
131696-1.jpg

fishblood said:
Update (em150 protocol Excel)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hAbPDEfygea4pMolaXExn-4dJR8FMsKq/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102395760469625306475&rtpof=true&sd=true

fishblood said:
Carbon2011 said:
HrKlev said:
I had the same problems and used a lot if time trying to figure out what was going on. Solution? Turned off "low beake" on page 3. I have no idea why, but it is repeatable on my vehicle. Regen on low break signal works without the box ticked, so I have no idea what this box does. Except make my motor go haywire at anything above 4500rpm...
Tried this option but it didn't help

I made a excel can generate protocol for em100, and then use the BT terminal tool which I can use barely cell phone and change the settings.
FYI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayJZ7FeaZd9Fkl-9bxg7g1MrWPa8x7Lb/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IUYZB8QUwD8PTaGSV2B59CWgMIZdr0IB/view?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AaeLlZMFbR05QRcymlXSegphxfpRCbEo/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102395760469625306475&rtpof=true&sd=true

Hey guys, got a bit of an issue all of a sudden!

All was good until one day the controlled stopped responding to throttle commands. It would occasionally start working, but now it doesn't at all! Upon connecting to the software, the Display tab throws back a fault code "00000088"! Can't find any info on it. Any ideas what it could be?

Also, when I remove the "side_sustain" from the PB4 function in the port settings, the error changes to "00000080"! Any ideas will be appreciated! I have a rotary 4 mode switch... seems to fault when I switch it to P, and Reverse doesn't engage when I move it to R!

Go electric said:
hi i have a problem do not know if it is controll related but i hope so. the problem is when i drive from a standstill turning fully on the gas. then it sounds like going over the white lines on the road I have it bounces and slams from the tires and chain. it does not sound like that with my snow traks mounted. it may be that I do not get a grip properly.I do not hear any noise on freewheels

it was a setup error the seller set the fluxwekining compinsator to 105 on my 138 v3 engine but when you went off it sounded like you were driving over a road bump now it is fixed by lowering to 75

eVroomer said:
Hey guys, got a bit of an issue all of a sudden!

All was good until one day the controlled stopped responding to throttle commands. It would occasionally start working, but now it doesn't at all! Upon connecting to the software, the Display tab throws back a fault code "00000088"! Can't find any info on it. Any ideas what it could be?

Also, when I remove the "side_sustain" from the PB4 function in the port settings, the error changes to "00000080"! Any ideas will be appreciated! I have a rotary 4 mode switch... seems to fault when I switch it to P, and Reverse doesn't engage when I move it to R!

Alright, turned out it was a hall sensor issue. I opened up the hub but replacing the hall sensors is a pain in the *** so I will get to that in due time, if only to keep the hub as a spare for testing, etc., and I ordered a new V4 8Kw one, which has the dual hall sensors, for peace of mind! :) Hopefully it will not turn out its a controller issue when it arrives! :lol:

Back