When will the Fat bike fad die?

As some have already pointed out, one of the main gripes against fatbikes is the lack of standardization, available options, and low prices. All of these points will be mitigated with time and adoption. My only real gripe about fatbikes is working on them is closer to motorcycle work due to the size of the rims and tires. I'm fixing the phase wires on motor right now and it's a real pain in the ass to store and lug around.

A quick search shows that the tires and tubes at 3-4x the cost. How many miles will they last on the road? I haven't found any street specific treads, so I can't imagine very good mileage.

If you want a cushy ride, you can get cheap 26x2.4 CST Cyclops and run at 20psi. At least the cornering will be predictable.

Hit a pothole at 25mph with a Fat tire inflated to a psi which allows stable handling, and I have doubts it's not going to beat you up.

I understand there is a real use and market for fat bikes. But it seems like people are jumping on the bandwagon just because it's the latest thing.

Riding up over curbs is a nice plus though. :D

r3volved said:
If the moto industry is any indication, fat tires are here to stay...and will probably get quite a bit fatter (at least in rear).

That's a good observation. My proto-fatbike used to have 26 x 3.5" tires front and rear, but I now use 29 x 2.35" in front because it handles better-- while still maintaining the benefits of the fat tire in back where it counts most.

At the moment, fatbike tires tend to want to turn in and stay turned when inflated to low pressure. I suspect that refinements in tire casing construction can correct this tendency, but until such time as better tires become available, using a narrower tire in front where there is less weight is a viable alternative.

Same strategy I use on my off road bike, fatter in rear. At one point I got a bike that had 2.5's front and back, and in dirt I found it took too much effort on steering inputs. 2.5 rear and 2.3 front works much better for me. In dirt.

I'd known that dirt motorcycles have the same type of setup of course, a bit lighter and narrower front tire. And a smaller diameter rear tire. It would make some sense to me for off road bikes to have fat 24" rear wheels and 29" fronts. But not with today's frames.

50 mph on the city streets without dampening shocks can lead to fun things like rear wheel wheelies at 50 mph. Open road not so bad, but those manhole covers in town can surprise you.

I wasn't thinking about flats really. I raced at 40+ mph with a flat front tire for half the race. 40 mph on the straights was fine, centripetal force stood the tire up nice. But the corners were a bear all right.

Fat tires are definitely cool looking to a certain limit, but dorky, or cartoonish, if overdone. Narrower front tire is a good call.
Where I live we have good pavement almost everywhere, even bike trails, 2.5 inches is my limit to keep any squirm to a minimum.
I had a pair of cheap 2.5 inch Kenda's, and it was horrible handling at 45 lbs pressure, a waste of rubber, gave them away. Top tier Puncture proof road tires is where my money goes, I rarely go over 30 MPH (50 Km).

Judging by the the number of shit mountain bikes on the roadside rubbish collection each year I'd say they are here to stay.
People will buy anything if it looks cool. Function is quite a long way down the list.
I'll try one when I can pick up off the roadside chuck out for free and I reckon there are going to quite a lot of them in a few years.

The Qulbix Raptor guys like a fat tire on the back, but have stated that a thinner tire (though not really small) gets a better "bite" for steering.

I'll try one when I can pick up off the roadside chuck-out for free, and I reckon there are going to quite a lot of them in a few years

If you like yellow, you won't even have to paint it...

I couldn't agree more. I do not understand Fat Bikes. I've ridden them and I just don't get it. Even for most types of snow a skinny tire is more effective. The exception being very deep and rutted snow (which we have plenty of here in Rochester right now). Even so a knobby 2.5 Inch downhill tire would easily suffice.

I have a friend who rode one border-to-border on the continental divide, and he is not able to tell me why he likes them so much :) One thing he offered is being able to drop the pressure to like 6psi which give the bike great grip in the snow and stuff. Still, talk about a corner case... But he has put many 1000 miles on the thing, so there must be something good

The fat tire thing, much like the 29r thing, is a niche way to get people excited about buying bicycles, and I can't see anything wrong with that. Still, I can't say that I really get it.

An LBS owner posted that he thinks most of it is temporary hype, but he was glad for anything that keeps the shop doing any business at all in winter. Normally his slow time of year...

I believe the mountain-bike/down-hill got a huge boost when ski resort operators realized it was a way to generate some foot-traffic and business in the summer.

For my Qulbix Raptor I currently use a 3" Shinko 241 tire on the rear and a 26x2.6 duro razorback on the front. This setup works really good on my full suspension ebike.

Qulbix recently put out a fatbike edition for their frames and this got me thinking. Why don't I use a fatbike tire on the front of my raptor? I would keep the 3" skinko 241 as that tire is just about perfect, but I'm curious how a fatbike tire on the front will be.

I totally agree with you guys that I don't see the point of it as the front should be kept skinny for best performance and honestly, the front skinny tire I use now with the 8" suspension is already plush and no matter what I hit with it I barely feel anything.

But something is drawing me to it anyway. I would have to buy a DNM USD 8 fork, this is a 8" inverted suspension fork to allow to fit a fat tire. So what I'll be doing is basically have a 8" suspension front with a fatbike tire, BUT i'll be keeping the 3" shinko 241 tire on the rear as that is already about 3.26" wide.

Here is a pic of my current configuration with shinko 241 3" rear tire and a 26x2.6" bicycle tire. The rear tire is kind of already a fat tire. I'll say this, when going with the fatter rear tire and dropping PSI to around 14PSI, this tire was amazing. So I don't think that the fatbike tire is a complete waste. I think the rear may benefit more from it than the front.

Another big benefit of a fatbike rear tire on an ebike is it really helps to cushion the heavy hub motored rear of the bike. When dropping the PSI of my big 3" rear tire, the rear felt so much smoother. The 8" suspension only did so much, but dropping the PSI and using a fatter tire took away the harshness, not only giving me so much better off-road traction.

I think you guys would be surprised what a fatbike rear tire will do for you with the heavy hubmotored rear. I'm really interested in seeing how a fatter front tire works out.

spinningmagnets said:
The Qulbix Raptor guys like a fat tire on the back, but have stated that a thinner tire (though not really small) gets a better "bite" for steering.

I'll try one when I can pick up off the roadside chuck-out for free, and I reckon there are going to quite a lot of them in a few years

If you like yellow, you won't even have to paint it...
:wink:

Big fats have places where they shine. The hard tundra, beaches, and deserts. Most every post here are folks living in the concrete world. From the standpoint of some dude living in the wilderness of Alaska or the beaches of Normandy ( :p sorry I just had to write that one), you alls are a bunch of kooks.

Hell, 3% of the time in my area tires like that would have potential and keep me truckin'...Is 3% worth it for you? Personal preference I guess, or you have money to burn and a place to stable it.

The thing I most want to know about a given fatbike model is the rear drop-out width. There are a few models where the manufacturer wanted to use a standard 135mm wide shoulder on the axle, so they purposefully have a "bent-in" chain stay on the left, sometimes called an "offset frame". The extra-wide axles are needed if the stays are straight. For an E-bike conversion, this is vital info...even if you have the ability to lace your own hubmotor to the fat rim.

fat-bike-101-frames-1731-600x800.jpg

I thought they were stupid from a cyclist and engineering perspective.

But then I rode one and really enjoyed it.

End of the day it's about going for rides and having fun and it will do just they for some people

Interesting discussion on the fat's. From a engineering and riders perspective, what is the response we need to look at and measure? Does it include greater rider confidence, stability on borderline surfaces? Do they allow you to trek through conditions that you normally can not get through without dismounting? Nervousness/picky of exact line in gnarly areas? General robustness to varying ground conditions? If we do not include such responses, we may miss the real advantages if any of the trend. The fact that they make it more fun speaks volumes, but hard to measure the underlying reasons without some deeper thought. IMO There is much more to it than meets the eye.

t3sla said:
It's the SUV of the bike world.
Ya, it's akin to driving a jacked up Jeep...

Some people live 'off the beaten trail' - some people off-road for fun in their spare time - some people drive over curbs and like to park on the grass - some people don't let dirt touch their ride and never leave the city...

The same jacked up jeep can fit in all cases, despite the actual use.

r3volved said:
t3sla said:
It's the SUV of the bike world.
Ya, it's akin to driving a jacked up Jeep...

Some people live 'off the beaten trail' - some people off-road for fun in their spare time - some people drive over curbs and like to park on the grass - some people don't let dirt touch their ride and never leave the city...

The same jacked up jeep can fit in all cases, despite the actual use.

And girls like Jeeps. If that's what gets them on more ebikes, I'm all for it. :D

veloman said:
Yes I've ridden a couple. They corner awful on pavement. The only good thing about them is if you run low psi, its a cushy ride on poor pavement, without suspension.
Veloman, I'd like to inquire: which ones specifically did you ride?

On a similar note, this is just book-learnin' here, not experience, but apparently the tires have a huge amount to do with the cornering perception. Tires makers apparently have not fully gotten up to skill in learning what makes a good-handling fatbike. I don't know of any other type of bike where choice of tires makes so much difference. Just according to users I've read. The worst common ones apparently are Vee Mission, the ones that come with Mongoose, and the "Spider" pattern tread tires (in no particular order). If you remember the model tires were on those bikes, that would be useful too. Or, if they were stock, we could figure it out. It might have not been the actual overall bike's fault.

And Neptronix, a personal question for you: do you think that if you had been riding a fat-tire bike when you rolled into the railroad tie cut-out, that you would've crashed? I am looking at this thought experiment simply from a safety perspective. Not performance per se.

Oh, and my Fat Bike plan is on hold. BikesDirect salespeople (salesperson?) have been being prima donnas, ignoring me, or at best, blowing me off. And a tip to anyone here: don't tell them you're planning any ebike conversion. They make a lot of money off us, but they don't want our business. (Or anyone's business, it seems like.)

veloman said:
It seems everyone is converting one to electric.
Everyone. Who. There are hardly any kits out there to do this kind of thing right now. And as one who has looked into it, the whole game is bedeviled by incompatibilities, lack of standards, high prices, availability problems, and lack of choices. Maybe people are coming to ES to figure out how to do it, considering these challenges. So while it may seem like 'everyone's doing it', I would nuance that by saying that few people are doing it, but many people would like to, and are trying to figure out how to now, and this is the place they do it. Right now, it's easy enough to go the lamer route and pop a 135mm rear motor hub on the front of a fatbike. But try to do it right, or better, and you'll run into trouble. A short, incomplete list, even if you can find a motor with a wide-enough axle: most fatbikes come with 32-spoke rims. All hub motors I've seen are 36H. And those fat rims comprise a big part of the cost of your bike. But right off the bat, you're buying yourself a ridiculously expensive 3rd rim, possibly needing to learn how to lace it yourself as a beginner because the pro service manager at the bike shop politely turned the job down because it was too difficult for him to bother with? That's a nice intimidation/bother/learning curve for a beginner who just wants to have a fun ride, not become a higher skill level than a local bike pro (who probably knows zero about ebikes, by the way, and might even be hostile to them, so you're more likely to be on your own). But even if he takes the job, it's gonna be $50 to start with, plus $1.50-$2 per spoke, and can go up with difficulty. So with 36 spokes you're looking at at least $120 for the bike shop to spoke it up for you, plus your ~$100 shipped new 36-spoke rim. So $220 extra on top of your new expensive fatbike--just to pass Go. What are we up to now? ~$380 extra just to get a decent-steering e-fatbike? And that's before your suspension seatpost or other suspension upgrades to make it really nice-riding. Chain clearance issues. Most fatbikes come with crappy tires that need to be upgraded (see above); car tires are literally cheaper. Try sticking a BBS02 mid-drive on there. Won't fit. 100mm bottom bracket. People have been literally grinding down their BB's to make them fit, nevermind what it does to the value of the bike overall, but even if you can do this, you're not guaranteed success. Fabikes that come with BB's different from what was pictured on the web. I can stop there, that's enough; but I could go on. I also think that those who have succeeded, are very proud of theirs and want to show it off (or help people by showing how they did it--not always the same thing), or maybe want to sell it for a big profit. So it may look like there are more out there than there really are. On my local craigslist, I've seen mass commercials for retail e-fatbikes, and I've seen used and new electric bikes for sale, but I have seen not one DIY, or used prefab, e-fatbike, at all. Maybe your experience is different? I'd like to hear if so. Sorry if it's a bit bristly, but it was another comment that seemed flippant, or lacking information to support the perception, but passing off that perception as an observation. But it did get a really interesting, insightful conversation going, so it's cool. I've just spent so much damn time and effort researching this, only to decide to wait, and maybe do something different for now. Every time I overcame an intellectual/planning hurdle, another stumbling block immediately appeared. I'm telling you, it was cosmic. Almost like the Universe was trying to tell me something. At some point, I just started laughing when it would happen, as if on cue. So no. I don't think everyone is building one of these.

Another thought: as hub motors become more powerful, and stators wider, well, typical 135mm rear dropout bike frames are already running out of room. Wider hub motors are already being made, that have difficulty fitting (especially with choice of freewheel and disk), or just don't fit at all. I can see people in the future, desiring a fatbike frame, just for the wider dropout room, even if they choose to ride normal bike tires. Which they could do, with a fatbike frame. They couldn't do the reverse.

dogman said:
I'd known that dirt motorcycles have the same type of setup of course, a bit lighter and narrower front tire. And a smaller diameter rear tire. It would make some sense to me for off road bikes to have fat 24" rear wheels and 29" fronts. But not with today's frames.
That's basically my e-bike wet dream! I think we have just discovered THE NEXT BIG THING! You realize this is genius, don't you? I'm serious. This could really be the next big movement, after the fat bike sales surge dies down, and novelty wears off. I've never understood why front & back have to be the same diameter, except for economies of scale, and convenience. To ride right up over a curb (a nice luxury), a tall, thick front tire is important; but not as much in the rear. I suspect that 24-inch rear might be the best e-bike tradeoff of torque and handling, though I do not say that from experience. However, I do say this from experience: 20 inches is too small.

I even thought about how to do this "24/29" thing (new name?) on an existing frame, maybe levening out the geometry with an adjustable-travel suspension, like Rockshox Bottomless Tokens, but I don't think I'm smart enough with bikes to try to get that creative. Chalo or dogman should, though. Then let Kinesis rip off the design and geometry, and I can buy one at a reasonable price! Ha ha... It makes sense for e-bikes to have shorter rear tires for torque, even as the rest of the bike world is going to taller wheels. Neptronix took it to the extreme with his 20-inch Magic Pie on a Trek, but that was more as an experiment or uni-tasker (for an uphill race). Still, impressive possibilities/implications. And while a 24-inch would lower pedal clearance a bit on an existing frame, a 29 in the front would raise it a little bit at the same time. I'm not a 'geometry' expert, they say it's a no-no, but it is interesting. And I swear--I've seen some Downhill bikes with a 24-inch rear wheel (and 26 up front)??? Do those exist??

In light of the above observations, let me ask the question, assuming for now identical tire diameters: why is it better to have a narrow front, and wide rear? I've seen some web pages of people who "upgraded" their regular mountain bikes with a fat fork (Salsa Enabler or Rockshox Bluto), and for a time considered doing that myself. One page I read, the guy said 'you get most of the benefits of a fatbike with a fat front'. It made sense to me, as to me, steering and front traction are more important than the rear. Sliding your rear wheel isn't as bad as the front. I now realize there can be some steering issues with fat tires, but it's not a given. I've ridden over many a cement curb, and to me it makes sense to have the fat tire in the front, not rear. Argumentation invited on this! What am I missing or getting right? If you could only run one wide tire (on an e-bike, which could change the answer): would you want it front or rear, and why?

bicycles run same size front and rear because the rear doesn't really have to be fat because it doesn't have the power.

Ebikes are not much more powerful and rear traction still isn't an issue. Problem with ebikes is that they don't have gears so it is like you are starting off in 3rd gear, no low end to break that rear. There is kind of no reason why you need a fat rear tire for traction on the rear.

Since ebikes don't have gears, you are better with a smaller rear tire because the smaller rear wheel acts a bit like a gear.

Optimally you would want a tall front and rear tire for rolling advantage, kind of like why bicycle tires are now 29".

The problem with fat front tires is that you want it to dig in a little and not float on the surface for traction. Of course it all depends on what you are driving on. If you drive on sand or snow than it seems a fat tire is better as you can float.

That being said I find a fat rear tire better than a skinny tire on my ebike. The heavy hub motor and rear makes for a harsh ride in the rear, with a fat rear tire this removes a lot of that harshness. When I went with a 3" motorcycle knobby tire and kept PSI lower the ride was amazingly better. I didn't feel every little bump on the rear and driving over anything hard was much more cushioned.

The lower PSI on the fatter tire also gave me much better traction when driving over roots and slipper stuff, also it seemed much more stable overall, like when turning on wet grass.

I want to try a fat bike tire on the front, but it is hard to see how it will offer any advantages. The front is already amazingly plush because of the 8" suspension. Since the front isn't heavy or have a hub motor in it, it is very smooth. When riding over curbs or stairs you barely feel any harshness on the front.

Downhill bikes used to use fatter tires but moved away form this when suspension got much better. However, since we have that 20-30LBS hub motor in the rear, the rear suspension can't make up for this so a fat tire is necessary to smooth out the rear.

This is just my opinions here.

No genius on my part, I just noticed what's typical on dirt bikes. Not the same size or width wheels front and back. Why are dirt bicycles made with the same size, and even same tread front and back. Seems dumb to me not to follow some of what motorcycles do. For sure it makes sense if building a bike to be motorized.

In dirt, I found the fatter the front tire, the more the tire steered me, vs me steering the tire. It was just more tiring for me to ride.

But perhaps this effect is less noticeable to those who never broke both collarbones and trashed their shoulder ligaments in a crash. :roll: For me, it got much easier to ride the kind of soil in my area, with a fat rear and narrower front.

Different people ride dirt different, and dirt is different. I've got something like 45 years of experience now in my area so my riding style must be completely different from a beach, snow, mud, etc. I'm completely dialed in to my areas desert dirt.

I use the fat rear tire to float the soft stuff, so in a sand pit I'm riding in a semi wheelie, (even with just 1000w) floating the front wheel so it doesn't dig in enough to bury the rim. So with a moderate amount of power, I can get over the soft without needing a fat front tire. Pedaling at 2 mph, of course you couldn't use that technique, so both tires fat likely works a lot better for non motor bikes in a sand pit.

The skinny front tire helps me control when it cuts dirt and when it doesn't. When I want it to dig in, I dig. That can let me get a turn going, which is then pushed in the new direction with a well timed goose of the throttle. This can turn me quicker than another method, such as lock the rear tire and skid the ass around. A tire that can dig in well on demand points the front end of the bike better than one that floats on the dirt too much, and just skids all the time. When I want to slide the rear, a fatter tire there makes that happen easier. I used to do that more, but as my front brakes and tire got better, I began to use the rear brake less and less.

All this is highly affected by the condition of the dirt, dry June rides completely different from moister winter. And affecting things even more is tread type, and condition. At some point, long before it looks worn out, a tire will stop riding well and I start crashing a lot till I get fresh knobs that are tall enough.

Learning to weld, hoping to someday build a greyborg /stealth sort of frame. Would have a fat motorcycle rear tire, and likely a 29er front, or at least bigger than the rear anyway. Might never happen, the $1000 fork such a bike would need part of the problem.

SprocketLocket said:
In light of the above observations, let me ask the question, assuming for now identical tire diameters: why is it better to have a narrow front, and wide rear?

Two reasons:

1) The rear wheel carries more weight than the front, so if you're going to have problems digging/sinking into soft surfaces, it will be in the rear; and

2) fatbike tires as manufactured so far tend to have strange and undesirable steering characteristics at low pressures.

I did ride one of the toned down version with 3 or 3.5" tires I think. Felt Lebowski I think. That rode pretty well, much better than the 4" tires (they were Vee Rubber with the triangles on the center of the tread).

Back