Why did you get into electric bikes?

There are several reasons why I ride electric bikes:
  • Three years ago after a physical the Doc wanted to put me on Cholesterol medication; screw that - I’ll just ride a bike! In the process my diet changed, I drank less beer, I’ve been sick less (not that I got sick a lot, but the ‘annual’ flu bug hasn’t reappeared), and I am in better physical condition.
  • My awesome 4x4 was consuming $100/week in gas. With the economy weighing down I decided to re-channel the funds going into truck-maintenance & fuel into fulfilling my ebike dreams.
  • Biking to work has always been a challenge with the steep Seattle hills & nasty weather. However, being electrically-augmented is a complete game changer. I could realize my private dreams of cycling cross-country. I could take contract jobs that were much farther away – thus opening up my client-base. I took a job in Seattle partly cos I get to ride an hour each way (not terribly sure this was a wise idea with traffic and all, but it sure is fun).
  • I grew very tired of being harassed by the interpretations of The Law by low-brow knuckle-draggers and have decided to turn the tables to my advantage: Don’t need a driver’s license, don’t need insurance (homeowner’s covers me well enough), don’t need vehicle license, can assume the rights of a pedestrian and a car interchangeably, and I can ride my invention through perhaps the largest gray area of The Law… and still have fun doing it! naner-naner :p
The downside is that transit of large items require special handling cos I no longer drive. And I still haven’t yet figured out how I am going to go snow skiing this winter unless I buddy-up with a driver. :roll:

Otherwise, liberated! KF

1. I love gadgets and projects are great fun

2. Idea of being a good bit more conscious of the environment I live in.

3. I like cycling but now I can get to my destinations much faster

4. No more life wasted in traffic jams.

5. I can actually save money

6. I am not contributing as much to the demand for oil and the necessity of war to secure that oil.

7. STICKING IT TO THE MAN :)

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

I wanted to try out the outrunners before building a lot into a bigger project.
& the bike I threw together was BRILLIANT so I made a few more.... ;^)

Love the sticking it to the man by not using as much oil. The high point of my commute is riding past gas stations jammed with guys lined up to get their fix a few cents cheaper. Just grinning.

I tried a colleague's ebike while at my previous company. I was interested, but the 9 mile ride was short enough to make riding a standard bike justifiable.

When the company closed down and my new job was 20 miles away, I had to find a way to speed up my riding. Now my commute is about 50min by car in heavy traffic and about 60min on my ebike.

I truly enjoy passing the gridlocked traffic while getting exercise and not burning gasoline.

Eric

Q: Why did you get into electric bikes?

A: For the chicks, man... 8)

:roll: :lol: :lol:

I already biked everywhere I could, which was almost everything I needed for travel anywhere.

My knees started wearing out, plus the heat of Phoenix, AZ in summer getting to my aging body, so I started looking into motorizing it. I pondered gas engines, like something off a lawnmower or gas trimmer, but they were very very loud and stinky, and I prize my peace and quiet pretty strongly.

So adding electric assist was the only other practical option. Cars were out due to high operational costs and way too little income, plus I really don't think I have the capability to safely drive one in the traffic we have here (bicycling in it is hard enough). Plus I really didn't like the thought of wasting all those resources just to move one person around.

I built my own chain drive with a scooter motor, then a radiator fan motor, and while neither lasted more than a test ride, I knew I would keep trying because it was fun, and it did help a lot. I didnt' have any real idea what I was doing yet, but I learned a lot pretty quick. :lol:

After my first successful friction drive with two radiator fan motors and some rollerskate wheels, along with some complete misunderstandings of how things worked :roll: I was very hooked.

Nowadays I have a pretty much custom-built bike just for commute and cargo hauling, plus another more regular but customized bike for both of those things, as well as pulling a trailer for the dogs and stuff.

After trying out racing it on the kart track in Tucson at DeathRace and UndeadRace, I really got bit. :oops:

So now there's a completely custom bike in progress that will be able to be raced properly, as well as be an efficient commuter and cargo bike.

But why I got into it in the first place...my bad knees and the heat. :)

I hate the hills here in SF. I got into ebikes for that reason. Best decision I ever made.

Back