• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

I heard of the headline a day or two ago, everyone wants out of their house so they will head off to the mountains if they are close by to hike or ski. Its a good activity because they are socially distanced. I'd prefer to hop in a diesel and head for the forestry roads with a few dirt bikes, quads and some camping gear. Maybe I should get a new Ford diesel truck with the built-in generator to use while camping, keep the mini fridge humming next to the big oaks and firs. Doesnt compare to the logging going on.

Dauntless said:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/28/us/avalanche-death-covid-trnd/index.html

So avalanches are now Covid related deathes. The article basically argues that the warmer climate has been saving lives but the shutdown and the weather effect are making things worse. Somehow always find a culprit to blame.

by nicobie » Feb 27 2021 3:59pm

Does your Leaf use a 12v battery for it's controls and accessories? If so you could use the cars dc-dc converter to power a 120v inverter from the 12v battery for limited household power. My Volt has a 2000W dc-dc converter built in that I use with a 1500W inverter in emergencies.

It does and have looked up the specs on my inverter in the car. Need to look it up again but it should have a 75 amp 12V. Need to try it out. So in the future buy an electric car and use it as a whole house battery on wheels. been looking into a generator to hook up to natural Gas and more solar panels should do me.

Texas has proved the case that pure capitalist state only benefits the rich and the poor do with out. Texas is unregulated and now we see what happens when you remove all regulations.

ZeroEm said:
Texas has proved the case that pure capitalist state only benefits the rich and the poor do with out. Texas is unregulated and now we see what happens when you remove all regulations.

It's the states' own system. It's not 'Who Watches the Watchmen?' It's the Watchmen who would be watching the Watchmen.

https://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/2010/youre-wondering-what-its-like-living-next-to-wind-turbines-united-kingdom/
although I do know of some victims in valleys with a windfarm 10 miles away that have problems.

nicobie said:
They are building this <5mi. from my back door (with pics.)

https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/lompocs-strauss-wind-project-a-major-site-for-endangered-plant-species-still-on-track-to/article_b4620889-43f4-526b-93da-1b7436f9037e.html

Hard to prevent when there is money at stake...
...Although Lompoc is not slated to benefit from the power generated by a wind energy project being planned just south of the city, the venture could provide a boost to the city’s general fund.
The Lompoc City Council this month directed staff to prepare a Community Benefits Agreement that the city will look to enter into with Strauss Wind, LLC, the developer behind the 100-megawatt Strauss Wind Energy project that is planned for the ridgetops near the end of San Miguelito Road.
.....and all for 100MW (nameplate) ..more like 60MW max ,..some of the time !
And the town doesnt get any of it !

The city Owns its grid and gets its power from geothermal piped in from Northern California. If our power goes out we will be able to tap into the wind power as it will have no other place to go with the wires down. We are located at the very end of 2 different big grids (PG&E and Edison) but only directly connected to PG&E.

If the “lines go down”. Its most likely the wind farm wont function either !
But my point was, the town seem happy to sacrifice their unique natural flaura, for a few dollars !
Sharlitans ...springs to mind.
In 20 years, they will be left with a broken mess of burried concrete and no unique flora ...
..and the money will be long gone !

But its "green" power

Hillhater said:
If the “lines go down”. Its most likely the wind farm wont function either !
But my point was, the town seem happy to sacrifice their unique natural flaura, for a few dollars !
Sharlitans ...springs to mind.
In 20 years, they will be left with a broken mess of burries concrete and no unique flora ...
..and the money will be long gone !

Dauntless » Mar 02 2021 12:36am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Mar 01 2021 6:17am
It's the states' own system. It's not 'Who Watches the Watchmen?' It's the Watchmen who would be watching the Watchmen.

I'm not going for any of it. We had low utility cost for the month. We had a pipe bust did not know it for a day but the water pressure was so low that not much water was lost. It was a few dollars higher than last month.

The Watchmen was that Scify super hero movie was it not? The people they were blaming was put in office 5 days before this happened then quit, really. They are not fall guys and Gals. Texas went thru this 10yrs ago and they did not move on this then and will not doing anything now. But I will be more ready next time.

ZeroEm said:
Dauntless » Mar 02 2021 12:36am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Mar 01 2021 6:17am

I'm not going for any of it. We had low utility cost for the month. We had a pipe bust did not know it for a day but the water pressure was so low that not much water was lost. It was a few dollars higher than last month.

The Watchmen was that Scify super hero movie was it not? The people they were blaming was put in office 5 days before this happened then quit, really. They are not fall guys and Gals. Texas went thru this 10yrs ago and they did not move on this then and will not doing anything now. But I will be more ready next time.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" "Who will guard the guards themselves?" "Who watches the watchers?" "Who will watch the watchmen?" "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal

Oh my, the TV series, based on the movie, based on the comic.

But the title goes back to the Roman Empire. The important thing is the expression isn't literally from Plato but Plato was reminding of the dangers of his 'Republic.' It was Juvenal who brings us the expression. The concept is that you can put Watchmen out to enforce safety and guard against, but who forces them to be safe and guards against them? Why would anyone blame free enterprise for a government operation? Why would anyone say they want the government to crack down? The government operates this, if I'm not mistaken.

If they were only in 5 days, then who was there before them?

. . . . I know
the plan that my friends always advise me to adopt:
"Bolt her in, constrain her!" But who can watch
the watchmen? They keep quiet about the girl's
secrets and get her as their payment; everyone hushes it up.

Nice phrase, need to learn more Latin. It is a good example of the Capitol Guard trying to hold back there own people. Reminds me of brave heart when two armies meet on the field and they shake hands.

I gotcha an even better story than that. If you have any Welsh in you, or really just any Keltic. . . .

So this village occupied by Kelts who of course migrated from the European continent to Anglaland, (England, this is before the Umlat) were rounded up by Bretons and driven off like cattle to help them fight, well, whomever the Bretons were fighting on that particular day. They were to be what we now call 'Cannon Fodder.' Perhaps you know the story of the battle of Marathon, where the untrained Athenians were set to the line first so that when they broke and ran, the Persians would chase them and get caught by surprise by the mainstream Athenian troops. (Perhaps you know the name Hoplite.) Guess who suffered the casualties for the Greeks in that battle.

So these villagers were being marched at the points of spears to keep the enemy busy killing them, maybe even exhaust the other guys. And when they arrived, they saw the enemy had marched a similar group of villagers opposite them. So similar, in fact, they could recognize their fellow Kelts from the continent.

So among these two groups of Kelts, a hero rose. Not a warrior hero, another kind. A man called Erwan (Ah-WAN) stepped forward, in site of those who might recognize him allied with the enemy. And in the native tongue no Breton could speak, he called out to his fellow Kelts: "We'd like to renew acquaintances with you. When this battle begins, we should meet up on this hill. We can sit together and watch our overlords fight."

Indeed, those of Erwan's own village were quick to see the wisdom of his words. And as the order to charge was given, they charged up the hill. The other Kelts quickly joined them, as the battle raged. Eventually it was time to go home. They realized they should travel between the villages to visit more often.

Some say it is legend, some say it is true.
Many say his name in other languages too.
But if you name your boy Erwan,
the Welsh say he's the adept one, not a fool.

No that is not Dr. Seuss, or ancient verse. I just made it up.

But the effort to ban the work of Theodore Geisel is itself legendary. Some years back the wacko left in California --- CALIFORNIA --- set out banning this one book from schools. They didn't like the message it set. Against cutting down trees. Against pollution. Against extinction. But I really think what upset them was the point made to the child at the very end.

And that is so relevant to this thread. They want to cancel the warning they allege to support.

[youtube]8V06ZOQuo0k[/youtube]

by Dauntless » Mar 07 2021 2:01am

I gotcha an even better story than that. If you have any Welsh in you, or really just any Keltic. . . . Erwan

Lucky that recently had watched a series of Documentaries on Scottish and Briton's beginnings. One focused on the area of Wales and Erwan. If not for that would not have a clue so i'm not clueless.

My family tree, will not swear to any of it. I'm seventh generation Texan. Mother's side gives me Scottish -Irish
(Grandfather focused on the Irish) and English or British and some French from my grandmother. Fathers side was mostly French from the Eastern Texas (think of Louisiana) from when the French had the middle of North America, think Canada. My mothers brother was hooked on the Celtic's and the music.

I'm for Nuclear, Natural Gas, Wind and Solar. Erwan would have been.

Ah yes, good ole Texas
It is estimated that petroleum deposits in the state are about eight billion barrels accounting for about 1/3rd of all the known petroleum supply in the US. The proven oil reserves in the state are approximately 4.6 billion barrels. Major oil corporations have their headquarters in the state of Texas, and they include Exxon Mobil in Irving, Marathon oil and Conocophillips in Houston, Valero and Tesoro in San Antonio, and BP in Houston. As of 2017, there were 187,139 wells in production, and this was an increase from 2007 when they were 153,223 wells.

About 783,000 unplugged oil wells across Texas have been abandoned by their owners, according to a new report by Carbon Tracker, a nonprofit think tank researching the impact of climate change on financial markets. That’s about 20% of the 3.8 million abandoned wells in the nation.

The coronavirus pandemic has forced many oil and gas companies into bankruptcy, raising concerns these unplugged wells will sit abandoned even longer.

In Texas, the potential cleanup costs for the orphaned wells is estimated to be $117 billion, a hefty price tag that comes without a source of revenue.

“Texas by far has the highest number of wells of any state in the U.S., and orphan wells are going way up,” said Greg Rogers, a special adviser and co-author of the Carbon Tracker report in the Houston Chronicle. “We’re seeing a lot of operators go bankrupt, and they can’t afford to fulfill their legal obligations to plug in abandoned wells.”

Owners are required to clean up their wells. When they don’t, taxpayers are left on the hook.

Well more like land owners are left on the hook.

Unfortunately, Texas does not have a mechanism for going after former owners to recover cleanup costs, which can run as much as $40,000 per well. Often, the wells sit abandoned indefinitely.

The big machine.
Actually $40k is quite a conservative price tag. Plus, its easy to sell off assets, throw the bad assets in with some good assets for a giggle.

What id an “abandoned well”. ??
Is it a collection of equipment and buildings , like a pumping /processing and storage facility , that once produced 100,000 barrels a day ?....
... or is it just a 8” hole in the ground that never produced anything, and may not be possible to locate now ?
I suspect there were an awful lot of those “Dry” wells bored and abandoned for every good production well.
“Carbon Tracker” is of course unbiased in its reporting ! :shock:
If you want to see real abandoned man made holes in the ground, you should visit Coober Peady in Oz.
Hundreds of thousands of hand dug holes and spoil hills resulting from the search for shiny stones ( Opals)
2bfQqD.jpg

You drive for hous on the highway , and this is all you see...

It can be a combination of things, an open hole in the ground or abandoned equipment/buildings alongside the well, hooked up or not, contaminated soil around the well, damaged downhole casing. Its very costly to fix, and usually not just one. Land owners get the shaft because its hard to sell the parcel of land if its abandoned, open hole, or contaminated soil. Things are turning around, slowly but surely to help the farmers out.

[youtube]UfpejjeuOxs[/youtube]

[youtube]ucQQRGtz17o[/youtube]

Is that on private land or public land?

I saw this tv series awhile back, random holes in the outback for gold/opal mining.
https://youtu.be/6ffUbcs6cvU?t=391

Hillhater said:
If you want to see real abandoned man made holes in the ground, you should visit Coober Peady in Oz.
Hundreds of thousands of hand dug holes and spoil hills resulting from the search for shiny stones ( Opals)
2bfQqD.jpg

You drive for hous on the highway , and this is all you see...

Hillhater said:
...... I'm seventh generation Texan.

I'm for Nuclear, Natural Gas, Wind and Solar.
I cannot imagine how anyone with “Texas” in their blood,..still shows any support for Wind and Solar.
Didn’t. Y’all learn anythang last month ??

They learned having YOUR OWN solar panels are a good thing. I'd guess they learned that the grid having OPTIONS, OPTIONS, OPTIONS has gotta help. I would expect they're guessing that anything advancing them into the 21st century has just got to feel safe.

As for these wells, the capping operation probably isn't an emergency. They concrete over them, essentially. The abandoned wells are actually largely ready to be reactivated, should the demand arise. And it will. But has the pipeline company withdrawn? I found the article, also the rebuttal from the state of Texas. Carbon Tracker is wrong.

There is a bond posted, which probably doesn't cover the cost of capping. There is a fee paid during exploration that funds the State operation to cap the abandoned wells. Basically the State of Texas is capping abandoned wells every year, as far as the money goes. This is handled by the Railroad Commission.

All the numbers at Carbon Tracker are too high. There are fewer wells, fewer abandoned, normally a $20k cost but it can go up.

The land should be largely private property. If there's oil under let's say a dozen ranches, one of the ranchers is paid an exploration fee, when they determine who all is sitting over the oil everyone gets a cut. But can someone go in and claim the opportunity to work the abandoned well?

I remember someone saying that Texas is 95% private land.

https://texaslandconservancy.org/why-we-need-to-protect-private-land-in-texas/
In case you’ve never heard the statistic, Texas land is about 95% privately owned.

The western U.S. contains the majority of our federal lands. Western states have an average of 47% of their land publically owned, with Nevada being almost 85% publically owned. Contrast that with the states in the rest of the continental U.S. which average 4.4%.

1.jpg

Israeli start-up H2Pro backed by Li Ka-shing and Bill Gates joins race to make hydrogen cheaper
  • H2Pro has raised US$22 million to scale up its technology from the lab to the factory floor
  • By tweaking the current methodology, H2Pro says it will be able to make green hydrogen for US$1 per kg by the second half of this decade
https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3124704/israeli-start-h2pro-backed-li-ka-shing-and-bill-gates-joins-race
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-09/gates-backed-startup-joins-race-to-make-green-hydrogen-cheaper

I really think that if 5% of all these constant amazing breakthroughs in Hydrogen come real than Hydrogen will probably crush lithium cells in the LONG term future.

Back