Wireless Crank power meters as torque sensor?

DanGT86

100 kW
Been seeing a lot of wireless bluetooth crank spider power meters on the market lately. Has anyone deciphered these major manufacturers' communication such that we could use them as torque sensors for ebikes? They send out torque and cadence info to computers, displays, and I think wearable ride trackers. I wonder how encrypted those signals are. I have no knowledge of how to do this but would not be surprised if one of you wizards has figured it out.

It would be really nice to be able to just adapt one of these crank spiders to any crankset and bottom bracket and not be stuck with the limited torque sensing BB options currently offered.
A power meter.jpg

Last edited:
There's been a few threads over the years starting discussions on these, but nothing finished on any yet; here's a few:

and this one with hub-sensing solutions for freehubs or freewheels, that could be adapted to many possible parts in the chainline, in addition to using on a regular bicycle wheel.

Thanks. Bummer to see nobody has really completed it yet. I wish I had the time and skill.

I really like the idea of a crank spider containing all the torque sensing and wireless guts. That seems like the most universal option.

Only major downside is that I hate the idea of having to remember to plug in and recharge and essential part of the bike drivetrain. Way less of an issue on an ebike but still annoying to have to remember. Need to make one that charges off of rotation or movement like a rolex.

I could learn the skill (am working on something much harder right now, the Snuggles The Wolf robotics project elsewhere on ES) but time is just...yeah.

For charging, you can install wireless charging coils on the device, and a matching one on the frame, and wire the system to your charge port so it's powered by the charger (but doesn't drain your traction battery).

Some random google and amazon results for the basic parts (you'd need more than this to do it)

Back