"Zephyr" - Finally, the "v4" Fechter/Goodrum/Hecker BMS...

GGoodrum said:
jimw1960 said:
Sorry to be thickheaded, but I'm having trouble understanding what kinds of arrangements these boards can handle. So let me say specifically what my need is. I have four 4s packs, each with separate 4s balance connector, that I want to put together in series to make a 16s pack. Which board will I need to do that and how would I hook the four separate balance leads to it? I assume I would need to make some kind of 4-to-1 adapter cable?

Here is graphically what you need:

This just shows the balance connections. It is assumed each 4-cell block is already wired in series into a 16s configuration.

-- Gary

Thanks! I'm curious why are the pins 1 and 5 jumpered together on the balance connectors? With the packs connected in series, they'll effectively be connected on the other side of the connector.

Gordo said:
AndyH said:
The required connections are the same as the earlier BMSs - balance wires from pack negative thru positive - plus a pair of larger gauge wires from the controller to pack pos/neg for the charge current.

I'm personally working with 12-15A chargers at around 77V, so use Anderson's to the charger and pack. I'm using 18AWG for balance wires (often 2-3 feet of run) and 'regular' size Molex MiniFit/Amp Val-U-Lok for the balance taps and throttle connections.

Andy;
I understand you are using 21 TS 40Ah LiFePO4 cells? Are you using 3 BMS boards and just populating the 21 sections? Have you modified the TS charger to get to 77V? I have an original 3.5 M Chen scoot using 20 cells and have 3 spare to swap out for my 3 lazy ones that go low after 4-5 cycles. I want to try the BMS first, before I swap out my lazy cells. And I may add the 21st cell if I can adjust the voltage of the TS charger?
Thanks;
Hey Gordo,
My bike and TS charger were set for 21 cells from the start. The TS's 3.62V per cell gives me 76V at end of charge though it'll slowly bump up during the 'pulse' phase that happens after the normal CC/CV. I bought an ElCon from Nancy and have been using that more than the TS unit - it's set to 77V (3.67/cell). This pack has been my 'test victim' from the start so I connect different BMSs during charging and run LVC on the road. I am REALLY looking forward to a 'plug-in-and-walk-away' solution. :)

Regardless of BMS, I've built 21 channels out of the 24 possible from Gary's boards. The V4.1.5 is on top, the V2.3 then 'scooter BMS' (shunt and LVC) in the middle. The box has a scooter BMS board with only the LVC parts fitted - that's the LVC that stays on the bike.

21S_line.jpg

A soon as I get my hands on one of Gary's 24s boards, I'll build 21 channels, box it, and get it on the bike for good.

Andy

Thanks Andy;
I guess we will see the board cost and the BOM later today. Then hopefully, I will build a 20S board for my scoot.

I'm assuming I would just leave four channels of a '24' unpopulated for a 20-cell pack?
Any other adjustments needed?
Thanks for all your hard work and persistence!
Ross

VeloV said:
I'm assuming I would just leave four channels of a '24' unpopulated for a 20-cell pack?
Any other adjustments needed?
Thanks for all your hard work and persistence!
Ross

I believe the answer is YES.
If you look carefully at the picture Andy has posted, you can count 16 plus 5 positions populated, as he has 21 cells.
If you find the BOM posted somewhere other than the top post, please let us know where it is hiding?
Thanks;
Gordo

Nice work Goodrum and Fechter. The ev community owes you guys one for all the hard work.

The first page has been updated with BOM files for 16, 24 and 32-channel versions, for both LiPo and LiFePO4 setups.

Next up is to update the website, which I am doing now.

-- Gary

Gary - I assume I can use the smaller Hammond Box 546-1455L1601BK for the 16 channel version? I'd like to buy enough parts to build the 24 and at a future date put the extra 8 channels in a separate box. Is this why the 24 BOM has 2 x 546-1455L1601BK?
Thanks - Nate

*EDIT* NEVERMIND - I just re-read the first post that clearly states the answer to my question. Oops....

It looks like we wiped out Mouser's stock on some parts already. I'll come up with alternate part numbers or substitutions.

I'm not seeing the boards on your website (tppacks.com, yes?)...am I looking in the wrong place or are they not up yet?

note: on Zephyr 4.4 24ch LiFePo BOM

Rx01 says "48.7K for LiFePo" but has 73.2K in part number row for Rx01

just want to verify it should be 48.7K for LiFePo

thanks,
Ross

VeloV said:
note: on Zephyr 4.4 24ch LiFePo BOM

Rx01 says "48.7K for LiFePo" but has 73.2K in part number row for Rx01

just want to verify it should be 48.7K for LiFePo

thanks,
Ross
Rx01 is 48.7K 1% for LiFePO4 and 73.2K 1% for LiPo.

I take it this is where the line is for those "V4" boards? ;)

Nice work! Congrats on putting these together, and I look forward to getting my mitts on one...

Is the quantity right for the 9 pin IDC connectors in the BOMs?
Shouldn't there be 2 for the 16 channel and 3 for the 24 channel instead of just 1?

velias said:
Is the quantity right for the 9 pin IDC connectors in the BOMs?
Shouldn't there be 2 for the 16 channel and 3 for the 24 channel instead of just 1?
No - the info's being adjusted velias. You'll need 1 pair of connectors for each 8 channel section - so 1x for 8S, 2x for 16S, etc.

Good catch!

total nitpick - but when I go to tppacks I the product link bar is broken in firefox and has been for awhile. I pretty much have to go to http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26 which I've been doing daily since you posted this thread.

auraslip said:
total nitpick - but when I go to tppacks I the product link bar is broken in firefox and has been for awhile. I pretty much have to go to http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26 which I've been doing daily since you posted this thread.
I get that too :( The menu bar is overwriting itself and is unusable so I can't navigate the site at all...

Guys, to navigate you can click on the header titles in the Body of the home page, below each category photo; ie. helicopter etc

VeloV said:
Guys, to navigate you can click on the header titles in the Body of the home page, below each category photo; ie. helicopter etc

Yup. Up and over to the right the menu is repeated horizontally. It's been that way forever.

Maybe it's broken on purpose to deter folks that lack persistence and problem solving skills? :lol:

mdd0127 said:
Maybe it's broken on purpose to deter folks that lack persistence and problem solving skills? :lol:

Yes, it is a test, to weed out the weak and feeble. Less questions later that way. :roll: :lol:

Actually, this happens every time I update the shopping cart software, it breaks something in the menu stuff that only affects FireFox. It is too much trouble to research how to fix it each time, so I stopped bothering. Sorry. :)

I took down the BOM files, while I make the corrections. I'll get them back up in a little while. After that, I will add the boards to the site, so it will be sometime later today. I'll post a notice here when they are ready.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
I took down the BOM files, while I make the corrections. I'll get them back up in a little while. After that, I will add the boards to the site, so it will be sometime later today. I'll post a notice here when they are ready.

-- Gary
Hi
Does this mean there is a problem with the bom or is it just to put in some alternatives as when you put up the first bom we wiped out mouser.

Geoff

GGoodrum said:
mdd0127 said:
-- Gary
Excuse the noob question, but are you selling them:

1) just as boards, where we're on our own to get the components separately from the list you provide
2) with components (to solder on ourselves)
3) or complete?

Zenid said:
1) just as boards, where we're on our own to get the components separately from the list you provide
2) with components (to solder on ourselves)
They' have these two on the website atm (top of the page), for $15 and $55 respectively.
http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26

EDIT:
NVM, apparently that was for the old version.. :oops:

Back