A different e-Zip Trailz

That sucks, I was planning on oiling mine to try to quiet it down some.

I see the walmart $350 bike is this one eh? Seems like it'd get new peeps ebiking.

Yes. I'm so sorry. I neglected to tell you the gasket material suck and you have to replace that for proper shielding. As for it leaking out the bearing and into the motor...In my situation the gear box is sitting upright with motor at the top and gear +axle on the bottom. Your bike must be the newer one with horizontal motor placement. Maybe a little less oil?

I just picked up a Walmart Ezip to give to my son, but my rear hub just died, and I will have to wait for a replacement. Could I put this unit on a 20" wheel and put it on my rear swing arm of my trike. I realize that I could use the Ezip hub and respoke it, but the hub is stamped steel crap, and I'm wondering if the clutch woul fit the left side of a standard hub, or threaded hub? Anyone got any ideas? All help is appreciated!
David (other Doc)

docnjoj said:
I realize that I could use the Ezip hub and respoke it, but the hub is stamped steel crap, and I'm wondering if the clutch woul fit the left side of a standard hub, or threaded hub?
The currie uses a left-threaded hub. :(

If you can fit a 24", I can loan you one... you will need to use your left freewheel tho. (It has no freewheel on the left and a single freewheel/gear on the right.)

U are a generous person, TylerDurden. I'm not sure what the new Currie has, though. I have 2 rear hubs with both disc brake bolts on the left, and a freewheel thread on the right. Wouldnt the Current Currie have to have a freewheel clutch on the left, and, of course the standard 7 speed on the right? I dont get it, but being old allows for that! I'm not sure how they attach the motor chain clutch to the hub on the left. There is no plannetary system any more, just 2 gears, a chain (looks like standard bike chain and the clutch gear on the hub. It could be put on with super glue, for all I know!
David (other Doc)
Edit: I just got what U are saying. Could I purchase the Currie hub from U? 24" is fine!

docnjoj said:
Could I purchase the Currie hub from U? 24" is fine!
I would need to get the wheel back for my spare rolling-frame.

But, if I understand correctly, your P2A tanked and you want to use the currie-drive on the back of your trike until your hub gets returned.

If you can fit a 24" wheel in the back, you might be able to use the currie-drive and my wheel until you get your hub back. My spare wheel has no left-side freewheel, so you would need to use yours in the interim.

Thanks again, Tyler, for Ur generosity! I had a short ride on the ezip, and it is quite powerful, even on 24 volts. I may keep it on my trike, (if I can adapt it) and order the rear geared hub too, for backup. I think that some of the stuff at EVdeals may work for rear hub, but I dont know, since I havent taken the Ezip apart yet! So, as U can see, I really need something permanent! Also, the deal breaker coult be the noise level from that motor! I does really whine!
David

I just reread all the posts I could find on these motors(MYxxx), and my needs are a little different than U speedboys :) I need less noise more than more power! So, Im thinking about water cooled wrapping the motor case, with a tube drip, like an IV without the needle! The wrap should be absorbant and noise reducing!?!?! Also, I saw the post for the ACS freewheel with reverse threads, leading me to believe that there is out there a rear hub with these left sided threads, and standard freewheel threads on the right. It seems this would work to improve the quality of my wheel rebuild to 20", and get rid of that cheep Currie steel hub! Does any of this make sense?????? By the way, Tyler! That is class A Dremel work on that motor!!
David(other Doc)

Yeah, those little suckers can be loud... straight-cut gears.

I really don't think water on the case is going to offer much help. The coils are the tender bits. On your bike, the location of the motor allows for a serpentine air plenum of some kind, for air cooling. That could supress a bit of noise. :mrgreen:

Hey Tyler. Can I pick Ur brain 1 more time? Do U think its possible to mount a 5 or 6 speed freewheel on Ur Moto electric bike in place of the single speed on the right side. I may get one of those Superkids things for my grandson!
Thanks
Doc

docnjoj said:
Hey Tyler. Can I pick Ur brain 1 more time? Do U think its possible to mount a 5 or 6 speed freewheel on Ur Moto electric bike in place of the single speed on the right side.
I thinks it's possible... It would req a longer axle and spreading the rear dropouts.

Not a big deal for any average bike-enthusiast.

:D

Thanks again for all the help!
David (other Doc)

Hello Everyone.
I don't recommend upping the voltage to 48 Volts without some cooling modifications (see Xyster's thread). I changed the throttle/controller (Yi-Yun), and then I took a trip (couple of weeks ago) to another city through the mountains (~1000 Foot climb) about 24 miles one way , and the motor fried on me on the way back :( . What would be the easiest motor to replace onto the same bracket that could go ~30+mph w/48V 8) ?

Through the city it worked fine with a peak amperage of 27Amps and an average 50Wh/Mile @ 30Mph.

I am thinking of a 1000 watt (http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106160), but I will have to change the chain length/ mounting bracket which I don't know how to do? Does anyone have one of these or another of the TNCScooters 750/1000W motors? How do they perform? Noise, speed, heat?
My other option would be to make a build similar to Albie's, should I :roll: ?

Blacklisted: If you think it screams you should hear it at 48V. It sure does alert drivers you're coming and help promote e-bikes :mrgreen: .Below are some pics.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a Currie I-Zip 2007 Model.

I'd get another MY1018 and air-cool it.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=525&hilit=

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&hilit=

Sometimes I need to ask more questions. I ordered and received my new 36V my1018 motor to replace my burnt Currie issued 24V version. It came from TNC Scooters, who listed it cheapest I could find on the USA internet (50 USD for the 24V, 55 USD for the 36V, shipping and handling about 18 USD, a little pricey for 6 pounds). I figured it would be too expensive coming from Currie, if they had a 36V version available.

I was a little surprised to see that the four screw holes which are used to hold on the large drive gear cover would all need to be modified to match the Currie setup. Of course, after I gathered all the tools to make the mods, I realized I could just swap out the old motor cover on the side of the drive gear instead, to have the previously existing Currie setup on the new motor.

Since I had the drills and taps out already, I proceeded to modify the new motor anyway. Two of the holes had to be drilled out larger and deeper, then tapped for 10-32 threads. Two others had to be drilled large enough and all the way through, to slide the two countersunk 10-32 screws through. This was easy enough to do with a hand drill and manual tapping into the soft aluminum casting.

Good thing I used wire nuts to connect the new motor to the old motor wires. the old motor wires have additional length needed and the right connector at the speed controller end. I was going to solder some nice connectors together instead, but changed my mind. I put the red wire to red wire and black wire to black wire. The motor ran the opposite direction I needed!

Next week I'll continue with my Ping lifepo4 36V 20AH battery distance test to and from work. My next ride to work may put me at 28 miles, pretty close to my 30 mile goal. I'll be going a lot slower again (around stock speed) on this fourth 7 mile leg with this new motor/battery combo.

bluthermal said:
Since I had the drills and taps out already, I proceeded to modify the new motor anyway.
That's the spirit! :lol:

bluthermal said:
I put the red wire to red wire and black wire to black wire. The motor ran the opposite direction I needed!
Was the cover rotated 90 degrees?... :mrgreen:

Right Tyler. If the motor cover (or the magnet ring) are rotated by 90 deg. it will reverse the motor. You can take it apart and rotate the brushes another 90 to get it going the right direction. You can also just swap the polarity of the motor wires.

Thanks for the magnet ring and brushes tips, I did not know about those, but they make sense. The wire nuts made it easy to reverse the wires after seeing it running backwards.

The new motor (36V motor on 36V) is not running with the same pep as the 24V motor on 24V did. So now I'm suspecting some speed controller damage may have happened too, when I burned out the previous motor.

bluthermal said:
The new motor (36V motor on 36V) is not running with the same pep as the 24V motor on 24V did. So now I'm suspecting some speed controller damage may have happened too, when I burned out the previous motor.
I run a 24v motor on 24v... it always has been anything but peppy. :(

After you've seen Paris, it's hard to go back to the farm...

ya know, you guys are my heroes

You seem to know everything. Does anyone know where you can get a replacement Bottom Bracket Cartridge for a 2008 eZip Trailz? Currie has them on back order. Mine seizes every little bit, after only ~800 miles. The shell looks to be 80mm, the axle ~ 137 mm. Help!

Hi, I'm trying to find a replacement E-zip controller. Do anyone know what the part number is or better yet, know where to buy one? Thanks

leamcorp said:
Hi, I'm trying to find a replacement E-zip controller. Do anyone know what the part number is or better yet, know where to buy one? Thanks
leamcorp
the currie # is BD-2407-2. I got one from currie pretty quick

donob08 said:
leamcorp said:
leamcorp
the currie # is BD-2407-2. I got one from currie pretty quick

Hey thanks. Actually I was looking for a source other than a Currie - like maybe TNC Scooter on Ebay or something like that. I'm trying to see if I could find a 36v controller also to run the 36v motor and 36v throttle (don't know if that matter). Basically I'm upgrading the Ezip to 36v as I've just ordered a Lipo 36v battery... and I don't want anything to burn out, even under stress. Thanks again.

TylerDurden said:
I'd get another MY1018 and air-cool it.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=525&hilit=

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&hilit=

ya know TD if I had that motor, I'm not sure if I'd mount it on a bike or on a wall as an artwork.

Back