BioPlanet ebike [apparently a fraud attempt - see page 5 on]

HAL9000v2.0 said:
It is not weak.
Trust me. :wink:
Hey HAL9000 were you involved in the design/construction? If so it is quite a stamp of approval!
otherDoc

Miles said:
Previous thread on this drive: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26995

Yeah I've seen the previous thread. The posters just took the rated power as the maximum. You wouldnt do that with a hub motor, not sure why they chose to do it for a crank drive. So the question goes unanswered.

And whilst I've been inside an Aprilia crank case, and powered it hard enough to know when it starts to strip gears, I have not found anyone who has bothered to push a Bofeili to its limits and see where it fails. Destructive testing for the greater good...

It seems from the drawings to be a chinese ripoff of the Aprilia's original crank casing, with dowels at the same angles, and with a two winged sprag and differential drive ratios, but of course they have been smart and integrated the 3phase motor into the case, rather than having 3 kilos of brick sized motor hanging off the top of the case.

I want to get me one of those motors and load it up as hard as I can. I think the aprilia drive is a great mid-power solution to fast take offs + good top speed, but it's Whr/km sucks due to being brushed. So battery size doubles. And if the weight and bulk came down, these drives would make a really nice way to navigate the australian bush silently as well as commute the city..

Nice to know this bike has the benefit of the cromotor folk!

Would really like to get one of those motors and bolt it to a spare Aprilia frame in my garage and load it up hard with amps/torque then pull it down....

Samd said:
Miles said:
Previous thread on this drive: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26995
Yeah I've seen the previous thread. The posters just took the rated power as the maximum. You wouldnt do that with a hub motor, not sure why they chose to do it for a crank drive.
I think we understood what we were saying.

Jason27 said:
Why do electric bike companies insisted on putting the battery inside the frame?

Form over function.

However, an aluminum frame can serve as both puncture protection and a pretty good heat sink for a battery pack, making a sturdy separate case unnecessary. That yields a potential reduction in weight, increase in structural integrity, or both.

Chalo

Yesterday we took ride with 205 kg on board. Reached 31,5 km/h on leveled road. If we consider EU directive whereas total system weight (bike + driver) is limited to 100 kg we can count on great characteristics in daily operations. And that is our goal. Have reliable bike for daily operations and not to loose bicycle specific feature, lightweight handling.

In front we have 32 teeth at the moment (bike is designed for 38) and at the back we set 4th gear. Current motor setting 450W. Nice acceleration without pedalling.

Original motor requires some modifications to pass EN. Otherwise very satisfied with a construction.

Bioplanet Bike said:
If we consider EU directive whereas total system weight (bike + driver) is limited to 100 kg we can count on great characteristics in daily operations.

The EU stipulates an e-bike plus rider weight limit of less than what many people weigh?

Chalo said:
Bioplanet Bike said:
If we consider EU directive whereas total system weight (bike + driver) is limited to 100 kg we can count on great characteristics in daily operations.

The EU stipulates an e-bike plus rider weight limit of less than what many people weigh?

Yes. It is not only specific for bike, similar things are in automotive testing procedure.

Anyhow, we are sure that our bike can carry 180kg person. On long trips. We do not expect to 180kg person will do DH and dirt races.... :D

Miles said:
Samd said:
Miles said:
Yeah I've seen the previous thread. The posters just took the rated power as the maximum. You wouldn't do that with a hub motor, not sure why they chose to do it for a crank drive.
I think we understood what we were saying.

No I think you got the point on cadence, but no-one bothered to challenge the bit where you said it could sustain 120 at 90rpm. Or they jut didn't get it. That's not max power, just rated, and 90 rpm isn't the final ratio. Unless someone actually bought one and uprated it my point stands- no one has gotten off their arse and run one of these til it stopped. Armchair engineering. I think anyone who read that thread would sum it up as " that motor's only good for a few hundred watts". Clearly it isn't - as already shown. ES is a great repository of info - but there's scant info of bottom bracket uprating. So help me out here....

Um... We had the data for maximum sustainable torque. That's all we needed to know. Sure, you could run it faster if you don't want to pedal.

It's up to you to define what peak power is......... 10 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, 5 mins? Theoretical maximum is at half no load speed/half stall torque.....

Final ratio? Bottom bracket uprating?

No, you had rated torque. 12.7Nm. Care for more amps?

No problem. Not sure if I'll be doing any testing for some time unless Mrs Finance Director approves the spend...
A 30 or 40A controller at 50V, back into a Shimano megarange cluster might be good.
My current BB has the pedals at a 1:2 ratio to the cluster, thru an internal diff, so it might still be usable to pedal at 50kph if it can take it. Either heat or mechanical torque/jerk limits will determine the capacity of that little sucker....

docnjoj said:
HAL9000v2.0 said:
It is not weak.
Trust me. :wink:
Hey HAL9000 were you involved in the design/construction? If so it is quite a stamp of approval!
otherDoc

Yes, as someone of you know, it is my design and I made first prototype. I am about to sell it to Bioplanet group as complete project and they will produce them.
The battery is 12S Headway 16Ah (or 14,4Ah) the controller is currently on 16A. it is infineon based 6 fet. The motor has few upgrades as turns out some parts are made of stell/crap alloy.
The bike realy feels as "normal" with motor turned off, no resistance at all. I thouht it will be some since the freewheel in motor is twice bigger dia then standard.
I intended to make front three speeds but finaly it will have single fron sprocket between 34-38 teeth. I still do not know what is the temp maximum that motor can reach but it seams some 800W is no problem.
It will be street legal for EU with offroad switch. The battery can be replaced easily.

Oh 800W on that bike will be a lovely ride. A real good balance between commute and offroad/traffic light torque.

Consider a broad cluster on the back, like the Shimano megarange...

There's a new video up on the facebook page and youtube channel highlighting some of the components they've chosen.

I've put my money down and expect it to ship in the next couple of weeks.

Will let you know how it goes.

The video tells us everything except what a potential buyer would want to know: Weight, speed, range.

Back