Currie Ezip SLA Battery life

dallasfoto

10 W
I cannot tell if my original Currie Ezip battery is now dying earlier because of cold weather here in Dallas this week or if maybe now it is finally time to replace it. I've had the bike three years and I guess I've probably recharged it now beyond its life. Any suggestions? I did buy a second back up battery last year and it's fine.

Yup... probably time for a new battery. 3 years is really good for SLA! You can either buy a Currie replacement, or you can save some money and buy the individual SLAs yourself. Just open up your existing pack, unplug the old battereis and connect the new.

Last year when I was still using my Currie Battery Pack, once the winter weather arrived, the batteries just seemed to decline in performance quite fast. At temps below 35F or so, they were useless, even tho they were almost new.

This last spring I got LifePo4 packs, and I have used them all winter so far. Today it was 14F with a wind chill of 2F, and the battery pack I'm using right now was not bothered at all! I intend to keep using the LifePo4 pack until it reaches it's operating limit of -6F or so. I think it will be just fine, as long as I don't expect lightning fast take-offs or any of that.

I would urge you to invest in LifePo4.

Yeah, you won't regret buying a good lifepo4, but three years from sla's? Crap, you'd never get through 1000 cycles on lifepo4. Take ya 10 or 15 years. But then again, quadrupling your range would not suck. :mrgreen:

Hey dallasfoto, I hope you are not riding your E-zip the way it is shown in your avatar!!

You have assembled your bike with the fork 180 degrees out. In other words, the brakes are towards the rear of your bike, instead of the front. VERY DANGEROUS!!

Just loosen the quill bolt on your handlebar stem, and rotate that fork forward so that it faces the correct direction, then re-tighten the stem.

If you ever had to make a emergency stop with the brakes like that, they would most likely snap right off.

You'll also have a bit more toe room now when making turns... :wink:

Yes, I heard that about the front fork three years ago and changed it around.

Thanks folks for all the advice on battery.

Keep in mind... you can't just go out and buy a 24V/10AH LiFePo4 battery for this bike. Because the motor pulls up to 35A, you'll need a LiFePo4 with a 40A BMS limit. This usually means you need a higher AH battery than the original. For example, PINGs 24V/15AH battery will probably do the trick. The 24V/20AH would also work and provide lots of extra range. Be sure to get some advice from ES members before you buy...

If you buy a battery with the wrong BMS, the power will cutout anytime you hit a big hill, go too fast or carry any extra weight...

Back