E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Ok, the stuff arrived and I took the measurements on the hub and rim as indicated on Spokecalc, free and easy to use spoke calculator. The spokecalc result is 222mm but my eye test tells me that 226mm should work better.
I wrote to John Rob Holmes asking if he could provide me with a new set of butted 11/12 gauge spokes like the ones I got from him in 2015 when I mounted the 19x1.6" motorcycle rim on the original Crystalite 5403.
However, it seems to me that John Rob has left the e-bike market, where can we buy cut-to-size spokes with 6mm nipples today?
View attachment 345628View attachment 345627View attachment 345629
This is where I bought spokes twice.

First pic with my new square headlight.
Squarish headlight.jpg

I don't love it. Did I mention how big my reject pile is? I may need to figure a way to use this mount with my round light.

Last edited:
I didn't like the rectangle headlight. I like my round mobetta but I never figured out a way to make it adjustable. This is my homemade, redesigned, adjustable headlight mount, utilizing part of the SurRon headlight mount.
Heaslight new mount.jpg

Ok, the stuff arrived and I took the measurements on the hub and rim as indicated on Spokecalc, free and easy to use spoke calculator. The spokecalc result is 222mm but my eye test tells me that 226mm should work better.
I wrote to John Rob Holmes asking if he could provide me with a new set of butted 11/12 gauge spokes like the ones I got from him in 2015 when I mounted the 19x1.6" motorcycle rim on the original Crystalite 5403.
However, it seems to me that John Rob has left the e-bike market, where can we buy cut-to-size spokes with 6mm nipples today?
View attachment 345628View attachment 345627View attachment 345629
Ciao grande alesaggio. Did you find a source for your spokes?

Reactions: Rix
While I had the Bomber on the stand I took the opportunity to do some checks and repaint some ergal pieces that I had built in recent years and had not anodized. Having removed the rear shock absorber, I went to a shock absorber service center where they have a shock absorber check bench and I discovered that my DNM was KO.
The two circled areas identify an absence of damping force at each reversal of the rod's stroke.
Some time ago I noticed a play when I pressed the shock absorber but I thought it was the frame attachment bushes that were finished and I replaced them.
1708090712002.png

I also confirmed that I have a 700lb/in spring.
These are 365Kg at 30mm that equal to 12Kg/mm = 700lb/in

LB/IN TO KG/MM:​

700 lb/in = 12.5 kg/mm
650 lb/in = 11.6 kg/mm

600 lb/in = 10.7 kg/mm

550 lb/in = 9.8 kg/mm

1708091521013.png

Now I have to decide what to do.
Should I overhaul this DNM maybe replacing the spring with a 550lb/in one or consider purchasing a new one?

Yes, I followed the advice of TV and bought the spokes on Aliexpress "JQORG Official Store". They seems a good quality only the spokes nipples are a little bit small for the 7mm diam. holes of the rim so I also got some of these copper washers: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/3285...t_main.71.7c2236962GgvNf&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
Why copper? That's a weak, soft material and those washers are for sealing screw heads, not providing mechanical support. They'll smoosh when subjected to loads that raise them above their static tension, and the spokes will loosen when they do. Better to use stainless steel washers or Belleville springs instead.

While I had the Bomber on the stand I took the opportunity to do some checks and repaint some ergal pieces that I had built in recent years and had not anodized. Having removed the rear shock absorber, I went to a shock absorber service center where they have a shock absorber check bench and I discovered that my DNM was KO.
The two circled areas identify an absence of damping force at each reversal of the rod's stroke.
Some time ago I noticed a play when I pressed the shock absorber but I thought it was the frame attachment bushes that were finished and I replaced them.
View attachment 347646

I also confirmed that I have a 700lb/in spring.
These are 365Kg at 30mm that equal to 12Kg/mm = 700lb/in

LB/IN TO KG/MM:​

700 lb/in = 12.5 kg/mm
650 lb/in = 11.6 kg/mm

600 lb/in = 10.7 kg/mm

550 lb/in = 9.8 kg/mm

View attachment 347647

Now I have to decide what to do.
Should I overhaul this DNM maybe replacing the spring with a 550lb/in one or consider purchasing a new one?
I can't remember, but does the DNM unit have a separate reservoir with interchangeable revalving shims? If that's the case, you can make that shock work perfectly for your weight and riding style and not have much money into it. I would go that route and save hundreds of Euros.

Why copper? That's a weak, soft material and those washers are for sealing screw heads, not providing mechanical support. They'll smoosh when subjected to loads that raise them above their static tension, and the spokes will loosen when they do. Better to use stainless steel washers or Belleville springs instead.
I chose copper washers because I think they will deform immediately as soon as I tighten the nipples and will form conical washers.

I can't remember, but does the DNM unit have a separate reservoir with interchangeable revalving shims? If that's the case, you can make that shock work perfectly for your weight and riding style and not have much money into it. I would go that route and save hundreds of Euros.
Yes, the DNM Hornet is this one: Mono ammortizzatore 295 DNM MTG-RC | eBay
This one is also pretty cheap at 200€ shipped from Italy!
I could try that one with this softer 600lb/in spring DNM Rear Shock Spring 600LBS 150mm For Pit Dirt Bike Motocross | eBay

and meantime I could figure out how to disassemble and revalve the older one

I chose copper washers because I think they will deform immediately as soon as I tighten the nipples and will form conical washers.
My guess is that the copper washers will squeeze out from underneath the nipple heads. Even brass washers often do this when they're used at the spoke head and brought up to full tension.

Yes it does have have a remote res with shims. You can make these much better with re-shim and you can also adjust the oil level. Also they are notorious for not having a consistent amount of nitrogen and the oil is doggie poo.. Any component suspension company can rebuild them and make em a ton better. The piston flows a lot of oil.

Couldn't be too bad if it didnt' go all the way from the tire thru the rim. ;)

(had that happen back on DayGlo Avenger, IIRC with a roofing nail rather than a pallet/finishing nail)

I took the opportunity to lube my 25,000 mile VBoxx. Change the brake pads. Tighten up some loose spokes. New tire, and tube. 10 oz of slime. And wal la
20240227_182815.jpg20240227_150843.jpg

Couldn't be too bad if it didnt' go all the way from the tire thru the rim. ;)

(had that happen back on DayGlo Avenger, IIRC with a roofing nail rather than a pallet/finishing nail)
Yeah I think the nail bent when it hit the rim. What's interesting is the pointy end is what was sticking out. The blunt end of the nail is what punctured the tire.

Then it might have gone thru the rim if it had been a nail with a wide head like the one I hit back then...teh head kept it pointing up on the road most likely.... :/

This is the closest I've come to that since then was a few years back:
if it'd been a bicycle tire it probably would've gone thru the tire and tube (and maybe rim) instead of getting deflected into the sidewall layers, or ripped the sidewall open:
1709097979924.png 1709097995331.png

Last edited:
Then it might have gone thru the rim if it had been a nail with a wide head like the one I hit back then...teh head kept it pointing up on the road most likely.... :/

This is the closest I've come to that since then was a few years back:
if it'd been a bicycle tire it probably would've gone thru the tire and tube (and maybe rim) instead of getting deflected into the sidewall layers, or ripped the sidewall open:
View attachment 348194 View attachment 348195

Not a nail, but this past Saturday I got my wheel trashed by a big metal piece of something that fell off a truck passing me, went right under the left wheel before I could even react. Dunno what happened to the pics of the tire itself but it's kinda mangled. Rim survived (might not be true anymore) and at least four spokes broken (some missing entirely). Had to build a new wheel (ended up with a two-day "adventure" I didn't need).
LOL it looks like a big tough nail, but it's just a little runt.

:)

Oh, and not a nail, but this past Saturday I got my left rear wheel trashed by a big metal piece of something that fell off a truck passing me, went right under the left wheel before I could even react. Dunno what happened to the pics of the tire itself but it's kinda mangled. Rim survived (might not be true anymore) and at least four spokes broken (some missing entirely).
20240226_122345.jpg

Had to build a new wheel (ended up with a two-day "adventure" I didn't need).
https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/t...vy-cargo-trike-dog-carrier.67833/post-1794428
20240226_122410.jpg

:)

Oh, and not a nail, but this past Saturday I got my left rear wheel trashed by a big metal piece of something that fell off a truck passing me, went right under the left wheel before I could even react. Dunno what happened to the pics of the tire itself but it's kinda mangled. Rim survived (might not be true anymore) and at least four spokes broken (some missing entirely).
View attachment 348197

Had to build a new wheel (ended up with a two-day "adventure" I didn't need).
https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/t...vy-cargo-trike-dog-carrier.67833/post-1794428
View attachment 348198
I usually have about 6 gallons of slime in my tire, but most of time it won't seal until you pull the nail out. After that if you fill the tire back up with air it usually will hold for a while. I'm going to start carrying one of those Co2 tire inflators with me.

I usually have about 6 gallons of slime in my tire, but most of time it won't seal until you pull the nail out. After that if you fill the tire back up with air it usually will hold for a while. I'm going to start carrying one of those Co2 tire inflators with me.
I typically carry 6-8 Co2 canisters. If I get a puncture, and it's slow enough, and I'm close enough to home, I dump a Co2 in the tire, ride WOT as fast and far as I can, then repeat until I get home. Certainly beats trying to patch a tire with a hub motor in the middle on the side of the road.

Cheers

Back