EMC-2000 charger from ecity (1500 to 2000W)

It may just be that the main output caps were drained and what you heard was them charging from your pack when it was plugged in - I don't know - as I have not played with these much. That is the same sound you hear when you plug a controller into the pack - POP. Usually accompanied by some burn marks on your connectors. :)

Lets say worst case you actually blew electrolytic caps - it makes sense that it is still working afterwards. Those act mostly as smoothing caps so the output will still produce your charge power - just a little bit noisier. If you look inside you should see fuzz from the popped caps (if you popped any). The top of the caps are always scored so that they will blow open at that point. Very easy to see. Have a look :twisted:

Should not be a problem plugging a pack in first IMHO - but again - I have not played with these much yet. "Smart" chargers are always less smart in my opinion than a simple CC/CV supply. Just more to irritate us and go wrong.

-methods

Methods,what was the reason the 2kW unit did not make it on to your list? Or evdn the 4?

I like them, and they were on my personal list - but the purpose of this analysis was to find a charger that we can recommend to our customers for bulk charging their first Hobby City lipo packs. We have had a huge influx of folks trying to take the jump right into 18S2P for their first build - so that is why we have been spending a lot of time looking at these chargers, the Medics for balancing, and my gear for cell level limits. I am tired of telling everyone that I cant suggest a complete system for them because of battery management issues.

Folks generally want something that they can take to work, is affordable, simple (i.e. no DIY), yet affordable. I would prefer more like 1.5KW but the housings were just too heavy. My personal portable charger is 18S @ 17A and that is perfect - but it is sketchy as hell and expensive.

You know me - bigger is better.
Here is what is on my desk right this very moment - an 88S pack - 350V :p

I am being a big puss right now putting off the test..... that is a lot of voltage :shock:

-methods

Is this for a bicycle or a motor bike?

Another thing..did you have a 2kW unit? I asked earlier about the third LED but not had an reply on that. On the 2kW there is a third LED...about an inch back behind the panel in the center. It on flashes on briefly when powering up then goes out. Any ideas what it may be?

Thinking it may be a warning LED or similar..but no definite idea..overheat? reverse polarity (I won't be testing that one out :) )

That is just for testing equipment - it is a mix of 16AH and 5Ah in series.

I do not have a 2kw unit but our 900W unit also has an LED inside.

-methods

Ordered 1X Meanwell 3000, as specs say it'll do multiphase and its only 4kg in housing.i'll just ask Fechter for limiters.
If its any good just get another one 6 or 7 kg onboard not bad for 5 or 6kw.
Aye bigger is better and with the pfc won't have to worry about popping those little single phase circuits on the fly.

megacycle said:
Ordered a Meanwell 3000, as specs say it'll do multiphase and i'll just get Fechter's limiters, and its only 4kg in houseing.
Aye bigger is better and with the pfc won't have to worry about popping those little single phase circuits on the fly.

How much?

And... why not two meanwell 1500 for serie or parallel operation ?.. that would give you wide range between max 36V and 112V

Doc

Doctorbass said:
How much?

And... why not two meanwell 1500 for serie or parallel operation ?.. that would give you wide range between max 36V and 112V

Doc

A$760+22 WA to SA
http://www.radioandelectronics.com/prod379.htm.
Hope you guys in the US and Canada would probably do a better deal at home.

Presently got a 3x2 cheap brick servers for 3 x 25V@50A and a little 24V@6A top up charger already so 7S was how i was setting up the packs for the server outputs. The mods to the packs i've been busy on :evil: will have no electronic balancing, its mechanical, instantaneous balancing and they're being set up with cell logs to monitor.
Also been considering redundancy in setup if i pop a cell and or switch, i could just switch out pack and ride home on 2/3.
So with the 3P7S or 3P8S, presently want to draw around 120A and balance switching in the 15 or 20 mins bulk charge time, though yeh there's always room for improvement and there's scope, " what do you think"? doc.

I know she's a little pricey but it'll cost me $488.82 all up for 2x 1500W ecity @ 2 x approx 5 kg for say 2 x 1200W, the meanwell is good for 3kW+ its true rated and they've stood the test of time.
Bit extra for mods, but end of day got a lightweight powerfull charging solution.
Like you say doc 2 x 1500 meanies might have been the go, give redundacy too as well as flexibilty, but until the mini pulse chargers solutions have been nutted out in other threads, i dare say it'll have to do for now.
Only concern is that i'll be fast charging 3P and is this ok for the charging/balancing method i'm using?

RSP-3000-24, Got a 20A internal fuse for the 240 is that 4.8kW till pops, Hmmmm.
Would go good on that 30A ringmain Neil, but might have to bask for 15mins in the warm glow of the LED'S, till their charged all radials here at 16A, so she's to be plugged in the dedicated in the carport.
Mother would kill me if i blew the house up, i've tried before :roll:

The virgin electronics smell just melted me bran agen, had to just go to the toilet after cracking that lid.
Oh baby!!! she's nice layout, neat meat.Think might have stuffed up on the 3 ph, might be optional :oops: oh well flying leads out on the fly and find the nearest power pole :wink:

IMGP0026.JPG

Ordered it from Radio Electronics WA, but must be an affiliate of where it came from ADM Systems Melbourne, closer and was air expressed for AS$22, Nice gave em a phone ta very much for prompt delivery.

What you got present Neil, was it arranged for 5s,4P 20AH for 20S Lipo to go bigger. If i'm vague please correct me still coming round, bettr get another Grolsch out.
I've got the 7S,3P,20AH for 21S Lifepo4 at present, Some similarities there.

Sorry Doc going off your thread somewhat, its also a bit pricey here, but for the 4kg in this neat alu case and if it works, it fits the bill for now at this density.

Umm yes, nice...125Amp at 24 volt...4 of those in series would make a high speed charger!!...Even 2 of the 48 volt units at 60 amps would be impressive.
My current pack is 20s4p made up of 10s Nano Tech 5ah packs.

I just checked my household ring main circuit breakers,,,actually 32 amp :). But Over here in th UK each appliance has its own 13 amp or less rated fuse built in to the plug, so if you want to go up to 15 or more amps, then you do need a special socket and plug...( or a piece of brass cut to the shape of a fuse :twisted: )

NeilP said:
Umm yes, nice...125Amp at 24 volt...4 of those in series would make a high speed charger!!...Even 2 of the 48 volt units at 60 amps would be impressive.
My current pack is 20s4p made up of 10s Nano Tech 5ah packs.

I just checked my household ring main circuit breakers,,,actually 32 amp :). But Over here in th UK each appliance has its own 13 amp or less rated fuse built in to the plug, so if you want to go up to 15 or more amps, then you do need a special socket and plug...( or a piece of brass cut to the shape of a fuse :twisted: )

Meaty tinned busbars are 20 x 4mm.
Yeh you be good at 2x48V@60A for now and 1 more later for the 145V setup and charge the tesla roadster in 1/2hr at same time lol :wink: :lol:.

Hey did'nt know there was bigger than 13A, you can get 15A. Only lived in UK for 28 yrs and a qualified sparks :eek:
15A could cover your losses at 3kW. 13A would be stressing the fuse and thinking about popping, even though its slow blow.
http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/bussmannbs1362industrialceramicslowblowfuse10a250v.aspx.
Save the tin foil or a 6" nail for the megawatt badboy :idea: :twisted: :p.
2.5mm2 generally good for 16A radial for standard worst case install conditions,so that fits equation, protecting, from the plug, a fat, short cord or butyl rubber, iron flex job to that dodgy rack connector on the front, thats the only let down, might change that later.

Do'nt like rings,banned here, brake in the ring close to origin and don't normally know, then your 2.5mm2 could be stressed for years and higher risk from shorts.Though its so derated from its base 27A or so.

Better look at powering this little mother up today for tests.
Wanna see if can use it to heat stress battery bus switch contacts at 100A.
Researched contacts might have to be under about 200kg/cm2 for low loss.

Talked to BMSBattery on chat and they sent me the adjustment instructions but recommended I not adjust the voltage more than +-5V from it's settings. I'm running the EMC-1200 at 125V 5A and he said 6A was the max I should go to so that means this 1200W model should be good for 750W output safely which seems pretty reasonable to me. I haven't tried adjusting the voltage so see what the range is but I'd think it would be adjustable more than +-5V and still be stable. I have another pack I run at 100V so it would be nice to be able to charge it with this, but I haven't played with the voltage adjustment yet and prefer not to break it.

Anyone adjusted theirs and actually charged at a different voltage? Was the supply stable or did it act strange?

Zombiess, I believe that ES Member "Miuan" put a switch and pot in his so that it could toggle between 12S and 20S, but I might be remembering that wrong. From what I gathered he had been running fine like that for a while, but if he reads this he might like to interject.

megacycle said:
Hey did'nt know there was bigger than 13A, you can get 15A. Only lived in UK for 28 yrs and a qualified sparks :eek:
Ye, but not a fuse..You can still I believe buy the old 15 amp round pin plugs. Before the advent of the modern UK style fused square pin plugs, there used to be 2 (or 3? ) sizes of rounf pin plug and socket in the house, small (5? amp) for lights etc and the bigger 15 amp one for heavier stuff

zombiess said:
Talked to BMSBattery on chat and they sent me the adjustment instructions but recommended I not adjust the voltage more than +-5V from it's settings.

Anyone adjusted theirs and actually charged at a different voltage? Was the supply stable or did it act strange?

Would be interested in the instructions ..maybe you could post them here or PM me with them?

Yea, I adjusted mine rom its factory setting of 142.8 and 12 amps, down to 83 volts and 20 amps. Done about 4 pack charges with it now and all fine and stable. Read up the thread, I seem to remember Doc taking his down to 12 volt...from 80 or so.

NeilP said:
Ye, but not a fuse..You can still I believe buy the old 15 amp round pin plugs. Before the advent of the modern UK style fused square pin plugs, there used to be 2 (or 3? ) sizes of rounf pin plug and socket in the house, small (5? amp) for lights etc and the bigger 15 amp one for heavier stuff
quote]
Could well be a 15A fuse, in the above link, not a standard fuse in the range, its from RS Hong Kong, same BS plug top, there probably not so impressed with over enginered plugs, when trying to crank one of those big old noisy room aircon's.

NeilP said:
zombiess said:
Talked to BMSBattery on chat and they sent me the adjustment instructions but recommended I not adjust the voltage more than +-5V from it's settings.

Would be interested in the instructions ..maybe you could post them here or PM me with them?

Yea, I adjusted mine rom its factory setting of 142.8 and 12 amps, down to 83 volts and 20 amps. Done about 4 pack charges with it now and all fine and stable. Read up the thread, I seem to remember Doc taking his down to 12 volt...from 80 or so.

NeilP, you posted better instructions back on page 5, their instructions only show the two voltage / current pots so it looks like you already know what you are doing.

OK, I misuderstood your use of the word 'instructions' I though maybe they sent you actual word explanation of how to do it...

something like "first attach a load, and adjust No.1 to value x, then set final voltage with No.2..then go back and adjust No.3 current etc etc

Does anyone know if/how well the EMC-2000's current share if you hook say 4 of them in parallel to charge a huge battery?

Well there is no external plug to connect them together to properly current share, like som of the Meanwells have.

If you want more current, just get the 4kW version

Rather than connecting them is parallel to get more current that way, it would be esier to buy them at a lower voltage and higher current setting than you need, then connect them in series

They are on sale now!!!!

the 2000W is at 223$ !!!

the price history is:

299$ last year
249$ last summer
223$ NOW !!

http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/164-alloy-shell-2000w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html

Just an FYI I changed my EMC-1200 from 125.4V@5A to 125.0V@6.1A and it's staying cool. BMSBattery said not to go over 6A but I'm guessing it could handle a little higher current but for what I'm doing I'm not sure I really need more. Not to mention it won't be so cool when I'm charging in summer and the garage ambient temp is over 115F.

I'm using 762W output of the 1200W rating. I'm guessing the 1200W could be the input rating but who knows for sure. I'm pretty happy with my charger so far, so nice to not have to pull the batteries off the bike.

When I had the charger open I did play with the voltage set pots to see how high / low I could get it to go. I saw as high as 150V and as low a 64V, but I stopped at both those extremes. Didn't really see the need to play around any further as it will cover pretty much any pack I plan to charge.

Internals of the unit seem pretty good quality, construction of the units feels solid and board seems to use decent components.

With regard to increasing currrent, I have the 2kW model and I ordered it at 142 volts and 12 amps

As of today it has now done about 10 or more battery charge cycles, each one of about 10Ah back to the battery, This is with it re adjusted to 83 volt and 20amps and it barely gets warm

I think that the thumb rule is that they are 3/4 of their model rated power.

but from now nobody seem to have pished them to their lilmit ( 100% of rated power)

Probably also due to the fact that the 2000W output can not work on a 15A 120V..

Doc

Back