improving MXUS 3000 V2

Why would you put it in a 12 inch wheel when i ran the sim at 26?
If thats the best you can do...

This thread is as antiscience as an antivax or creationist thread. I admire John for holding you to account. Tiring.

@samd If you are so opposed to this thread why not spend your time elsewhere? Or better yet start your own thread on the downside of modding.

It feels like we are just a short time away from flat out name calling and doing rude gestures to one another. You already stated your mind - no please let the rest of enjoy this thread in peace.

Because you keep copying and pasting untruths despite not having an actual ebike.

And to top it off guess what i just got! An email from a usa customer "Hi my name is Steve. I'm wanting to know if I can buy a v3 mxus soon. I heard the axle is not good enough. Can i use a v2 at 4 kilowatts as a replacement for my 3540?"

Well done guys!
Yep. Why dont I just take his hard earned money huh.
Phew. 4 kilowatts. Wow.

Samd said:
And cowardly duck, ffs. I have have to point out again I have a degree to get you to listen to science, its because you are trying to find an empirical solution to an already known science, please dont tell me to think. Listen to me. Please.

You are columbusing - discovering something that is already there. We know all there is to know about the parameters of ac machines.

Grab a book on ac machines. Read the wikipedia entry on saturation. Think through that.

Someone else above tried to point out to john that maybe new materials would make better hub motors. They can't because the copper is fully saturated!
LOL - You totally missed the point of my post Sam...I never said you needed to think, in fact the opposite, I pointed out that you do think...in a very specific way. Take another look at what I posted and maybe you will get it. ;)

Cheers

Hi Samd,

please don't be angry on me because i started this thread about improvements and offering an axle upgrade.
MXUS has some small issues out of the box thats why i mainly did this. like replacing the sharp lock ring that can cut the insulation and create a short or the poor installed middle hall sensor that maybe has an effect on performance. also the sealing is poor and once you ride in wet conditions you can be sure you have water inside and the halls could die.
whats wrong about pointing that out?
the phase wire upgrade is not neccessary for 4kw and also the axle is fine. thats for hot rodding guys with more knowledge as the large crowd ;)
why not tell this your customer?
and honestly, if MXUS makes a V3 you can offer an upgrade and it will sell as good as the V2 ;)
why bother about that all?

Samd said:
And to top it off guess what i just got! An email from a usa customer "Hi my name is Steve. I'm wanting to know if I can buy a v3 mxus soon. I heard the axle is not good enough. Can i use a v2 at 4 kilowatts as a replacement for my 3540?"

Well done guys!
Phew. 4 kilowatts. Wow.

Samd said:
Why would you put it in a 12 inch wheel when i ran the sim at 26?
If thats the best you can do...

This thread is as antiscience as an antivax or creationist thread. I admire John for holding you to account. Tiring.

we have talked about saturation and what you have said was not true. mxus does not saturate because of eddy losses and it also does not saturate because of torque when it is laced in a small wheel and amps are set properly.
John would say the same :lol:

Samd said:
Because you keep copying and pasting untruths despite not having an actual ebike.

Well done guys!
Phew. 4 kilowatts. Wow.

Enough with the attitude. Frankly I am getting sick and tired of your personal attacks. I got an e-bike in parts. Build is not completed yet because I am back in the hospital, where I have been for the better part of 2015. My health is nothing I like to debate in public but when you continue to make personal attack and try to make me stand out like a jerk I might as well be open about why the build is delayed.

You might be a scientist for all I know - but it seems to me you could need a brush up on your business skills. Your aggressive posts in this threads do not do you or your reputation any favors. Let your build speak for themself and try not to push away people by pissing off future clients. Your clients just might read what you write in here you know. You need to adjust your attitude mister. Who knows how many builds and motors you could have sold if you would not behave like an asshole?

Btw if you don't know how to handle emails like that - maybe you should be a scientist and not a business man?

Oh man.. I have not a fu**ing idea what you are talking about^^ 3kW, 4kW, 10kW 12KW DAFUQ?! Well I thought my Bosch pedelec 250 Watt would be nice.. But dafuq??? So much power and so many people talking about stuff I don´t understand yet because I don´t have such powerfull bikes..^^ Calm down and trink some tea guys.

-Elias :D

PS: I still don´t know what is better for me.. A Crystalyte 4080 or the MXUS 3000... ??? Just want to go 45 km/h with 4000 Watt for the first.. Could someone pm me? I have no f*cking idea right now anymore^^ Im totaly confused. lol

Wow I just saw it.. 205 Dollars less :O Ok, convinced :mrgreen: ^^

What tires do you guys recomment? Fat bike rims, 3 inch wide or what? Back tire should look a bit like motor bike tires..

-Cheers, Elias :)

DasDouble - Average ebike user will be more then satisfied with 1000W ebike motor @ 48V battery and 20A controller. 48x20=1000W aka 1kw. If you want just a little more power then 1500W leaf is fine too 48V and 30A. These MXUS are for powerful, extreme ebike users that want tons of power. The MXUS is cheap and its good right out of the box because of its mass it sheds heat good. Yes there are more powerful motors out there, but why would you spend anything more then the $300 for the MXUS 3kw v2 motor?

We can upgrade our phase wires easily and cheaply. The only thing that might take special tools is the hub upgrade. You can vent your own mxus by cutting the cover plates.

What Allex said is true.

But under 6kw with 8kw peaks don't bother doing what Mark said. Its a waste of time and effort.

macribs said:
maybe you should be a scientist and not a business man?
I'm a scientist and I dont like being a business man too much so maybe this is good advice :p
Regardless of how Sam goes about saying it, the fact remains that the science behind all of this is fixed and well established. It's not a religion where it's open to interpretation and you can weave in loop holes when it suits you. If you don't do science then... err... God doesn't want you running high powered hub motors :p
There's only so many electrons you can shove through a piece of copper and that's that. Advanced cooling tricks buy you a bit of time and flexibility for short bursts of higher power but it doesn't enable you to feed in stupid power. That said, 10kw+ bursts ARE possible in these style of motors. I've done it. Others have done it. But burst is the key word and if you keep it up then the windings will surely burn.

How many of us have jump started a car with a lipo pack ? I've done it a few times and while it works, the 4" 10ga wire gets burning hot in the 2 seconds you're drawing power. Could you keep it up for 30 seconds ? No. Want to keep it up ? Use jumper cables which have several times the current carrying copper content.

This lubricant advertisement comes to mind with what you guys are seemly trying to achieve :lol:

jelly_se_ad.jpg

As stated these motors are great bang for buck as they are but everyone has gone a bit power mad and you can't expect it all from such a budget motor. That said, if you want to part with your money I already have some motors very similar to these MXUS 3k's but with the mods Doc mentioned previously - upgraded 16mm axles and bigger bearings to suit, larger phase wires, temp sensor and dual halls. These mxus motors were originally dubbed mini cros, these ones truely are. I haven't bothered advertising them here as they're not really competitively priced compared to the base mxus but if anyone wants one they can PM me.

@Hyena I don't argue against the facts - all I have said is that 10 + kw is possible for these styles motors, mxus/cro/qs 205.
Various people have done it, including yourself. And I am not under the impression we can do 10+kw continuous either. I understand the concept of burst hence me writing max power for <10-15 seconds.

But when cooling correctly and with other parts to match those <10 seconds bursts can be done repeatedly. And there lays the fun, excitement and the reward for messing around with mods. Without adding a bulkier even more heavy hub motor in the rear wheel we can keep those 10-12 kilos motors and still have decent handling, yet the power to enjoy some hooligan riding.

I totally understand modding is not for everyone, nor should it be. Many people if not most would be better off going with a well proven light weight, low cost geared motor in the first place. But then there are others, that find low power boring. That think stock motorcycles are boring. That always ends up chipping their daily driver car for better performance. Or make a dedicated track days car. If those people decide to push the limits in e-biking as well they are welcome to do so. And that is why such threads are a great resource for many of us. Debating what can be done to prolonging the number of burst cycles, or the time window is what we are doing in threads like this. Some mods might fail bad, others might work just a little but then there will be some that just works "perfect".

Modding is not about working against the law of physics - it is about getting the max within those laws.

I hear what you're saying, I guess what Sam is getting at is that noobs come along and read all the things that the hot rodders are doing then want/expect the same.
It's alright for those who know what they're doing to burst high power but we just know that a fat guy is going to come along and try and lug it up a hill and 5 minutes later it'll be dead. Likewise if we want to push the limits and then things blow up then that's on us, but if you're selling stuff to noobs it has to be toned down.

we just know that a fat guy is going to come along and try and lug it up a hill and 5 minutes later it'll be dead

Hey Jay, I resemble this remark. :lol: Actually its quite funny. Its funny though, almost 4 years ago, when I first started reading ES and didn't know shit, I would be like some of the PITA's Sam is dealing with. I want to mod this super duty highly powered anti nuclear hub motor so I can go a zillion MPH because I read that some one did it here. I want to push 150 volts through a 6 FET controller @ 100amps and blah blah blah. All I can say is thanks to the guys in the know for taking the time and patients to teach me. A while back I was searching for something and read one of my comments with in the first 95 pages of the Stealth Thread. The comment was: "does the Fighter and Bomber have the same motor" this was back when the Fighter had the H35 and the Bomber 54xx in multiple winds. Man, I was dumb. Since then, have learned a lot and made it my mission to help teach the folks what I know. And even though I make comments like if it aint 5kw minimum it aint shit, the truth is, I have just as much fun with your Neutron kit pulling 2kw as I do on my modded Fighter, albeit slower. Sams advise about trying the motor in stock trim for those who have never rode ebikes is sound advise.

@Samd I think Im going to buy your MXUS 3000w v2 soon and also your moped tires from your web side. Do you sell them alredy mounted? I need the moped tire for the hub motor. The front tire will be something different. Should be a 24" (bicycle size).

-Elias

It's a shame with all the adrenaline junkies, expertise, and piles of money spent by modders that one of the fattest guys on the forum with only the crudest metal working capacity has had the highest performance using hubmotors for so long and on a low budget. That goes back to long before using HubMonster too, back when I was using the same type of motors everyone now thinks are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course back then the excuse was those motors and motorcycle tires were too heavy, but some of the lessons I was forced to learn due to load and terrain still go unheeded.

The number of motors I've burned up is the same as the axles I've broken or replaced, which is also the same as hall sensors needing replacement and magnets requiring regluing...all are zero. That's with temp sensor protection only on one motor, HubMonster after I modded it 2 years ago to run at 27kw peak input. It turned out not to even need a sensor as it's my coolest running motor since my 5th generation of air cooling works so well.

The recipe for maximum power with hubmotors is simple.

1. You can't run extreme power on a stock MTB. The CG is too high and/or rearward relative to the wheelbase. Longer and lower is the route to high power and speed.

2. Run smaller wheels. Why do you think scooters dominate the high power market, and there are no emoto's with hubmotors running more than about 2kw?...NONE. The physics are quite simple, yet the understanding is unbelievably rare. Heat is our limitation, hubmotor heat comes overwhelmingly from current, and a smaller wheel means less current for the same acceleration thrust. For the offroad guys, follow Zappy's example. He was hanging with his MX buddies simply using a force air cooled MagPie with an 18" wheel.

3. If you want high power and more than 40-50mph top speed, then controller voltage limitations and smaller wheels means the common 9-10kv hubbie won't get you there. That's why I push higher speed wind hubbies whose only downside is that you need thicker wires and a more capable controller.

4. Stop using phase:battery current limit ratios meant for very low power ebikes. The all too common 2.5:1 creates unnecessary heat, especially at partial throttle under higher loads.

5. Make less heat. First, do the simple measurements and math to understand the heat you're creating. Then gain an understanding of how it applies while riding as well tuning your controller for a proper balance between heat and performance. Unlike gassers you simply cannot keep turning things up anywhere close to the limits of the motor. Combining this with a much more efficient motor is what allows me to get to insane power.

6. Don't copy what's generally been done for cooling, not if you want max performance. No fan in the world is just a spinning plate with holes. Research the amount of flow required to move heat. No one has been able to go to extreme power using liquid cooling for real physics reasons, so copying gassers in that respect is a dead end without hubbies specifically designed for it, though oil fill with lots of added shell surface area remains a valid untried approach. My motors are efficient enough that air cooling with external centrifugal blades gets me to the performance I want.

7. Forget bogus commonly accepted motor weight limitations. I understand the appeal of extremely light bicycles, but unless you're going airborne none of that applies to ebikes until you pick it up. Once you dampen the effects of unsprung weight, the placement of weight is far more important to "feel" and in the rear wheel has the least effect on feel. Total weight of the bike is important, because power-to-weight is so meaningful. Without going to higher rpm, which mid-drives allow that hubbies don't, basic physics means heavier motors are needed for higher power.

we just know that a fat guy is going to come along and try and lug it up a hill and 5 minutes later it'll be dead

Well I am a fat guy, and hence the digging into proper mods to avoid the mistakes and fried motors. I know I will put a lot of strain on motor, so I just accept the fact that I am fat and work with that as a baseline and then do what I can to improve cooling so I hopefully can have some longevity yet enjoy all the power I am able to harvest. I might not succeed but I sure will try.

Rix said:
Its funny though, almost 4 years ago, when I first started reading ES and didn't know shit, I would be like some of the PITA's Sam is dealing with.

I remember I too was under the impression it would be an easy peasy task to have insane e-power when I joined. And I was shot down more then once when I aired my thoughts and ideas for a build. And when I read those ideas now I can see I had no clue. But one idea in particular I remember asking about carbon fiber frame, as I have done CF work and still got all tools but the autoclave in my garage. But there was a lot of experts saying that would be stupid crazy and frame would rip and splinter and what not. Well look at NYX. It can be done, stylish, elegant and sturdy as a locomotive. :) :)

Since then I've try to listen to all advises given, but I will not blindly accept them and might go out on a limb if I think something can be done. Why? Because I am stubborn? I guess I am but mostly because I feel the heat removal is still not dead center with electric motors. And I am so grateful Justin has done all the testing lately. Now we can get some real data and to back up claims.

John in CR said:
The recipe for maximum power with hubmotors is simple.

7. Forget bogus commonly accepted motor weight limitations. I understand the appeal of extremely light bicycles, but unless you're going airborne none of that applies to ebikes until you pick it up. Once you dampen the effects of unsprung weight, the placement of weight is far more important to "feel" and in the rear wheel has the least effect on feel. Total weight of the bike is important, because power-to-weight is so meaningful. Without going to higher rpm, which mid-drives allow that hubbies don't, basic physics means heavier motors are needed for higher power.

1-6 I am in total agree with you. And I am still and have been for a long time very excited about your hubmonsters. Hopefully I get to do a build with one of those one day, I am sure it would be freakin wicked in a mid drive setup. I can really picture a mid drive kind of like this with one of yours motors John.

P1000082-1.jpg

I much rather have such a motor "in the frame" then in the hub. In the hub I am not sold on more weight at the moment, but hey who knows I might change my mind if I see a wicked build with your dual 3 phase monster motor. 8) :twisted:

If I get on peoples nerves rambling here feel free to put me on your ignore list, I kind of feel myself that I am repeating myself now. And since I don't bring anything new to the table I will stop now. I sometimes don't know when to stop. sry. </rambling>

So, get the highest KV possible, with the smallest possible wheel diameter.
Of course do the calculations for your desired top speed, etc etc etc.
Then it runs cool.

Interesting discussion. I agree with a lot of what's been said and appreciate the engaging technical discussion.

A lot of the points being raised however seem like large compromises to me. Sure they might result in better (less) heat generation, but often at the expense of other area's. We all have to compromise somewhat with hub motors...the question is in what compromising direction do we lean.
A few examples;
A small wheel might help acceleration and lower heat (and I've personally experienced this benefit on my road only Recumbent) however there's a reason most MTB have gone to bigger and bigger wheels these days. Off-road capabilities, roughness of the ride, and pedal-ability still have to be considered. Personally I think the 24" wheels used by Stealth and many others is a good balance of wheel size. Sure an 18 or 20" wheel might have better acceleration and less heat, but good luck bombing it over ruts, boulders, large rocks etc.

Similarly, the heavier hub motors might be great for soaking up heat spikes from large KW dumps, and they may not change the 'feel' much when riding on the road. However I have personally just experienced a noticeable difference in feel going from the ~9KG HS40 to my 7.2KG Leaf motor. Sure it's less powerful and generates slightly more heat at the same power levels (although not but much since it's ~10% more efficient), but it doesn't see those power levels often, so the weight reduction is far more appreciated and the lower power spike abilities is the better compromise in my case.

What I'm not saying above is that my situation applies to everyone else. I can see how/why others might find that for them they are better suited to the smaller wheel, heavier hub motor setup, etc, etc. But for my needs the discussion above doesn't entirely apply.
What I'm trying to point out hear is that hub motors come in all shapes and sizes for a reason...and we all have different needs. THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL!

Also, in the case where I want to squeeze every last drop of power out of a sub 10KG hub motor so I can run it at higher peak power intermittently, what works for me is to run fans inside the motor to cool it off between high power bursts. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56965&start=100#p1009434

And before you all say, this is silly etc, consider that I've gone the route I have to meet MY needs...not yours.

Cheers

Rix said:
even though I make comments like if it aint 5kw minimum it aint shit, the truth is, I have just as much fun with your Neutron kit pulling 2kw as I do on my modded Fighter, albeit slower
Yep, which goes back the the comment that these bursts high power spikes are doable, if most of the time you are pulling reasonable power. I was having this discussion with a guy just last night about speccing a bike with the adaptto max e vs mini. 90% of the time you're not going to be pulling any more power from the max e than you would on the mini but if you want that occasional kick in the pants, you gotta go the extra.

On a related note to the sort of thing Sam and I are talking about, here's a perfect example that hit my inbox over night.
Here's a guy who probably doesn't know much about ebikes but has googled and is subscribing to the high power, high speed, max everything trend :roll:
TC100 - does 100km/hr on 72v. Super fast wind
90A controller - these are a 24x 4115 fet unit to run 100v+
So this will have a top speed of around 120km/hr and be hugely inefficient at less than highway speeds. Without even firing up the ebikes.ca simulator I'm guessing this wouldn't even last 5 minutes in typical offroad riding conditions. :roll:

macribs said:
I remember I too was under the impression it would be an easy peasy task to have insane e-power when I joined.

If I can do it, then it is easy-peasy. Large people just need more power, torque, stronger frame, etc. for the same result as the cyclist weight guys, since performance gets back to power-to-weight. For street riding it can be done with a hubmotor, but for offroad other than mild flattish trail riding it's gotta be a mid-drive for a big guy (some hubbies can excel at that too). I make it easy-peasy, because I freely share advice to avoid the potential pitfalls, so all you need is metal working capability either yourself, a friend, or hired.

markz said:
So, get the highest KV possible...
Not necessarily, and I did forget to mention an issue with highest Kv hubbies (the high Kv 3 phase hubbies that is), which is low motor inductance. It's harder on controllers, so you can't run at the margins. eg If guys tried to run significant current using 24s so commonly mistaken as an appropriate voltage wtih 100V component controllers, the 2 turn 40mm stator high Kv motors I've been since 2008 would mean quick controller death.

I say "not necessarily", because first, a motor is the same motor regardless of Kv. If controllers were available at any voltage desired for the same price, then slow wind motors would be fine, though extreme voltages require special considerations. That's not the case though, since we have very real voltage limits. The same motor wound to a higher Kv has shorter thicker copper, so it can handle higher current for the same heat created in the copper, period. They're all limited in voltage by the controller limits. That's why I accurately refer to slow wind motors as "slower lower power motors".
Note that the above is over-simplified a bit, because it ignores the other portion of efficiency reduction of the motor itself. You have copper losses from resistance in the windings, which is current squared times resistance (often referred to as I2R losses), and are dominant. The other portion is iron core losses, which increase with rpm, but you can take a raw motor and spin it up no load, and that's your max iron core losses, no-load current X voltage. (copper losses are minuscule at such low current).

markz said:
...with the smallest possible wheel diameter. Of course do the calculations for your desired top speed, etc etc etc. Then it runs cool.
Cooler than with a larger wheel at the same performance, but not necessarily "cool". Temperature gets back to heat generated vs heat dissipation. Wheel size is your only means of varying a hubbie's gearing, and all electric motors require proper gearing. Our motors aren't running a conveyor belt in a factory at constant speed. Our needs are intermittent and even with the same rider loads (not just weight) can vary greatly. For a no temperature worries high power system, which also gives you essentially absolute reliability and highest overall efficiency, then you need to set up for low system stress under the harshest conditions expected. That recommendation could be different for a long commuter where it could be advantageous to give up some low end performance and efficiency in favor of max efficiency at cruise, since stress free under max conditions means a bigger motor that has more core loss than an otherwise identical smaller motor (more energy to spin the motor at cruise). It would have to be quite flat and slow or very aerodynamic for that scenario to ever pay off.

I got tired of a slow leak in the well worn 19.25" 5" wide tire I've been running. Since my motor has proven to run at low stress, and I want to set a crazy high well documented speed run (higher than the 172kph, 107mph, I've already hit) before going down to a more practical voltage and top speed, I am upping the tire size to 20.5". The fact that I've lost 50lbs (23kg) since May helps ensure continued low system stress despite the 6% gearing increase, so I'll still get to enjoy some performance increase from the 12% or so increase in power-to-weight ratio. The lower net loads even means I can turn the controllers up a bit higher without worry, for even better power-to-weight. :twisted:

Sorry Madin that I've participated in going so far off topic, especially since much of this stuff deserves its own thread for more visibility, but I believe some needed addressing starting with Rix's "best" comment. I'm done now. BTW you've done a beautiful job with the motor mods regardless of my feelings that the manufacturer should have made most unnecessary.

John

John,

Well said, except for one thing I disagree with.

...the manufacturer should have made most [mods] unnecessary.

The manufacturer designed this motor for a mountain bike and rated it for 3000W continuous.
It performs perfectly well in this application and at this power level in its stock form.
The mods noted in this thread ARE unnessesary.
Fun, no doubt. But unnecessary, all the same.

Back