Post with a video of a cromotor over 100 mph

John in CR said:
Joseph C. said:
The video doesn't really show the true speed but that's certainly no reason to risk life and limb putting back on bicycle rims that you know to be dodgy. If you make another video so what if you are just a few kph slower with the proper wheel. Most of us here can take into account the effects changing the wheel set-up will have on the bike's performance.

AFAIC I don't have anything to prove, so I'm not going to the trouble except to improve. If it falls short of my goal, I'll still share the better quality result. It's possible that just the stiffer voltage of my 65-130c pack itching to go on this weekend, combined with a tail cone for the square rear of my pair of big 24fet controllers, narrower bars, a better focus on body position, and little things like charging to 4.2V/cell, extra air in the tires, etc will be enough to get me to 180kph. I did get to 170 the other day, though I think that was wind aided.

Keep in mind that the blame for all the crap about the 172kph (107mph) run was whatever had been spilled on the road earlier that week. There I am 18-19 seconds into my run with plenty of room to hold WOT another 20-30 seconds, and I'm WTF is covering the road ahead? :shock: , so of course my head pops up and I let off the throttle. Had the road been clear, then we would have had lots of relative speed references at over 100 instead of just the instantaneous peak speed. By the time I get back on it, it's really too late because the green car may be too close to the truck for a pass without splitting them, and after that it becomes a downhill grade anyway. I won't know what the top speed of my bike is for any specific configuration until I hold WOT for at least 30-40 seconds on a flat road, something I've never done. 8)

John

PS- I still want to race DrBass. My cargo bike can probably outrun his Chevy Volt, but I want to race my Cannondale against his homemade Zero in some kind of live dual podcast race.

John,

You know i would really love to race against you one day.. That DUEL that many E-S would see.. 8) problem is distance!! and $$$ to bring ebike or motorcycle to thousands of miles away! In May i will be in California but will not be able to bring any ebike or motorcycle as i would... Maybe one day if you come here and agree to feel some colder temp it could be possible... we are still young man...

Btw be aware that the Chevy volt can really do 0-60mph in 5.5 sec without any physical mod.. someone called wait4me on the GM volt forum played with some of the 10 000 000 line of the code of the Volt inverter and was able to change the map of power and speed to crank more phase amp to the motor.. he posted a video about that... on mine, i'm linked with that &?&?%!! Onstar for at least 3 years and Big brother GM is connected to my Volt thru this network and is monitoring every 200+ parameters... 2 times a day.. so i can not tweak it until warranty is ended...

Doc

Kent said:
I tend to agree. Overlooking the technical aspects, I find that it looks too funky and for me unappealing. John, you have a potential goldmine there if you could offer an adapter flange so as to mount to a normal spoked wheel that would fit in regular dropouts.

Hey yeah I'm still waiting for John to sell one of his monster motor adaptable in a bicycle. Or some sort of kit. Come on John, make it happen :lol:

What's the big deal about going 100mph anyway, sure it is fast for a bicycle but you'll need to build it like a motorbike with large battery and then it'll only be good for a few seconds at that speed, seems to be missing the point of efficient transport

DrBass,

Sounds good, so it's 2 races then and I'll get to kick your Volt's ass too. Again a lack of lateral thinking is holding you back just like when you were playing with the X5's, because in this day and age distance is meaningless. With all the tech brains around here we can easily do a live race with you in Canada and me down here.

Architectonic said:
John, if you want the crown, then go to a race track and prove it with an official radar reading just like Dr Bass did.

Tell it to LFP. He has the crown at 108mph with no video or anything. I take him at his word as many others I'm sure do. While the only track within 100 miles happens to be less than 10 miles away from my house, I need to get over there and talk to them, because it sold to a new owner just a few months ago. If I can get on the track with just a helmet as protective gear, then I'd go for it. My bike isn't set up for 1/4 mile runs, but I certainly don't need to go to a track to top a 19.875 second 1/4 mile. :lol: I'm sure my grandmother has topped that. :oops:

It would be interesting to put a skinny guy on my bike and get an official time for the quarter. My buddy, the only other person to ever ride my SuperV with this motor said I was the irresponsible one for letting him ride it. He stayed aboard, but only by luck, after he begged and pleaded for me to let him ride it. I had no Throttle Tamer then, so to avoid brutal launches required high precision throttle. He only weighs 140lb and to top it off he wouldn't start with a foot on one pedal, so the saddle became a pivot point between himself and the bike. With some launch practice such a light load should turn an impressive time, since I think with me on board a 13sec or better quarter is reasonable. Imagine a 125lb lighter load. :shock:

Lambky1.jpg

:wink:

dingoEsride said:
What's the big deal about going 100mph anyway, sure it is fast for a bicycle but you'll need to build it like a motorbike with large battery and then it'll only be good for a few seconds at that speed, seems to be missing the point of efficient transport

I agree but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast.

Well now that the wounds have been licked and the ego's parked, at least for now, I guess Luke still has the Crown until clearly proven otherwise. :twisted:

My bike is my daily rider. Just because it can go fast doesn't mean I do. That's the purpose of a throttle. An ebike that is ridden around mostly at WOT makes about as much sense to me as a car that tops out on flat road at 65mph. No one would purchase such a car. Without good cycling infrastructure such an ebike is also far more dangerous. No thank you, I want to go the speed I choose for the situation. Mostly the speed I choose is for maximum safe space, but I slip in a little showing off what electrics can do on most rides.

Sure 100mph isn't really useful. I simply want to explore what is possible for a while longer before I lower the voltage. I won't go down to the 74V nominal that gave me a 66mph top end, because I do have some fun showing off on the highway embarrassing plenty of cars and motos especially on the 6-8% grade on one stretch.

When you have extreme performance you learn to ration it on longer rides, but I don't have the cajones for ball-to-the-wall riding the entire way, so I pick and choose my times. I don't feel restricted though. eg On the run that I hit 172kph the stop-to-stop trip was 1.591km and used 96.2wh/km. I've got a 2.2kwh pack on the bike now, though I'm changing to a 1kwh pack for daily use, along with at least another 1.5kwh in the form of an easily attached hard sided saddlebag pack that will strap over the main frame of the bike for longer trips. With my charger in my backpack I can go for rides as long as I wish with little, if any, range anxiety.

If I can come up with a lightweight recumbent that is fine at highway speeds, with weather and sun protection that also help with aerodynamics, then I'll put 15 or 20 Nissan leaf modules aboard and have performance as well as range to match most gassers. Plus I'll still get to enjoy the same classification as a pedal bike. 8)

As long as you don't have to pick your ebike up and you ride with both or all 3 wheels on the pavement, then weight is irrelevant. In my daily errand riding I do throw my front end around a lot while off the bike, kinda like most cyclists, but just one wheel, not both, so I am looking forward to getting 1.2kw that is all up front off of my bike for my daily errand rides. The 65/130c batteries I now have will allow me to do that with no shortage of battery power for extreme performance at the twist of my wrist. :twisted:

Agreed
John in CR said:
My bike is my daily rider. Just because it can go fast doesn't mean I do. That's the purpose of a throttle. An ebike that is ridden around mostly at WOT makes about as much sense to me as a car that tops out on flat road at 65mph. No one would purchase such a car. Without good cycling infrastructure such an ebike is also far more dangerous. No thank you, I want to go the speed I choose for the situation. Mostly the speed I choose is for maximum safe space, but I slip in a little showing off what electrics can do on most rides.

I Agree that having a fast road going mixing with traffic able to reach 100mph bike safer than a slow going object on the side of the road and is good for the Electric Evolution, speed tracker is a good app that may give proof of speed

John in CR said:
As long as you don't have to pick your ebike up and you ride with both or all 3 wheels on the pavement, then weight is irrelevant.
Weight is relevant for performance. If you can cut 40 Lbs off your big bike, you will notice a big difference.

As for mine, I climb my commuter through a turning staircase everyday, so weight and size is very relevant. My mountain rides need to be lightweight too, for performance and handling purpose.

MadRhino said:
John in CR said:
As long as you don't have to pick your ebike up and you ride with both or all 3 wheels on the pavement, then weight is irrelevant.
Weight is relevant for performance. If you can cut 40 Lbs off your big bike, you will notice a big difference.

As for mine, I climb my commuter through a turning staircase everyday, so weight and size is very relevant. My mountain rides need to be lightweight too, for performance and handling purpose.

The extra weight of the motor is made up by the extra power the bigger motor can create. Riding on stairs is not pavement. Obviously for stairs and off road riding lighter will be better, but hubbies don't belong in that role. You don't really have a choice (yet) is the reason you accept the compromise of hubbie one you take it off the pavement, or rather smooth pavement.

Regarding the 40lbs, I need to cut more than that off of myself. The bike only has 10lbs or so it can shed, other than the 20lbs or so of battery that I'm yanking, but that's a hit to range. Yes, I look forward to the increased performance of a 50-60lb load reduction. That will even enable me to turn the controllers higher, and still have reduced system stress. You cyclist weight guys have only a hint of the performance possible.

Fastest1 said:
Weight will only hinder acceleration not top speed.
Welcome to ES Fastest1
Although acceleration is the most affected, weight does affect top speed, do the math or check it out in a real life experience.

John in CR said:
... You cyclist weight guys have only a hint of the performance possible.
:wink:

Hell yes I do. I was motorcycle rider, and I know for sure that EV will beat gas engines in every type of vehicle soon.
Hub motors are very primitive right now, when they start to evolve to performance we will enter a new era.

MadRhino said:
Fastest1 said:
Welcome to ES Fastest1
Although acceleration is the most affected, weight does affect top speed, do the math or check it out in a real life experience.
What math? By the time you're going fast enough that air is shoving you side to side, more weight will effectively allow a higher top speed.

gogo said:
What math? By the time you're going fast enough that air is shoving you side to side, more weight will effectively allow a higher top speed.

That may be true with an aerodynamic beached whale shape like mine, but otherwise extra weight has to increase friction, and it typically increases the size of the hole you must make in the wind for a lower top speed. Now that I've seen a time estimate for the 1/4 I want to put a jockey weight rider on my bike and see what happens. :twisted:

gogo said:
MadRhino said:
Fastest1 said:
Welcome to ES Fastest1
That is biased logic. Being heavy doesn't mean handling the speed better. This is a matter of geometry and design.

Gogo just hasn't gone very fast. I feel like I get blown side to side more at lower speed. As speed increases the apparent wind gets straighter and straighter. I've been pleasantly surprised by the high speed stability.

Naw, I've gone fast, and too fast. I guess MadRhino didn't do much high speed running on his RD400. They were quick and handled great, but they were a bit light at high speeds.

John in CR: Are you sure you posted the correct video? There is a compact car on your left that would have to also be going about 100mph. How do you explain that compact car?

By the way, nobody called you a liar.

I teach my students this: "If someone tells you something that isn't true, it could be one of three situations. One, he is lying to you. Two, he is joking. Three, he believes what he's saying is true, even thought it's not.

In other words, Dr. Bass is simply saying the third. He thinks you're wrong. Not lying or joking. Just wrong.

And that's not even close to the same thing.

"Are you sure you have calibrated your instruments correctly?"

This is another way of suggesting a measurement error rather than a lie ...

Ah, more naysayers. The teacher gets an F in reading comprehension, since speed relative to the green car and calibration are all explained and the potential for significant error dismissed in this previous post http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59123&start=25#p885640 . It's been raining, so I haven't gotten out to measure 2 additional points which should prove above 100mph beyond a reasonable doubt. CA distance has been confirmed by GPS end point to end point of the 1.591km run. I wasn't near top speed while approaching the green car, because the instant of the 172kph max occurred just after passing the first arrows painted on the road, as I popped out of my tuck and let off the throttle not knowing what the stuff all over the road ahead was.

Like I said before, I will set up better for another attempt including a spotter or 2 with cameras recording the flyby, as well as additional measuring devices and 2 on board cameras. I'm making some tweaks to the bike, so not only with the video better reflect the speed, but it will be faster. I'll also include some markers for pre-measured reference points, so we'll be able to extract a pretty accurate 1/4 mile time as well as several flying 100m speeds in addition to peak. Note that I won't adjust the Throttle Tamer for a harder launch, because I don't want to unnecessarily dump energy into the windings at low rpm. That would decrease pack voltage and increase resistance in the motor by the time I reach top speed. Even if that adds a second to the 1/4 , the target is maximum speed, and the 1/4 mile time will just be an interesting item of note.

It will be the first time I've ever held WOT for at least 1km. I'll bring a generator in the car, along with my solar charging rig, so if traffic interrupts my run, I'll be able to make a few attempts. The motor won't be a fully cold start for any subsequent runs, so I'll try to make the first one count.

Back