Post with a video of a cromotor over 100 mph

gogo said:
Naw, I've gone fast, and too fast. I guess MadRhino didn't do much high speed running on his RD400. They were quick and handled great, but they were a bit light at high speeds.
Those small Yammies were very quick and fun to ride, but had poor aero handling compared to modern racers. Personally, I prefer no fairing to one that is designed mostly for aesthetics. Then, 100 mph is not that fast, depending of where you ride of course.

BTW, the top speed record on a serial production DH racing bicycle is 130 mph :shock:
The bike was an Intense M6 weighting 41 lbs, Markus Stöckl was riding it on snow.

ive seen the downhill snow races on youtube before, absolutely insane!

quick question im gonna throw out there: do you think it is safe for a dh bike to go 100mph?

this would only be in a scenario where no traffic was involved, it was a straight stretch of road you knew (to be smooth) and you were using speed rated moped tires

i feel this is a fitting place for this question. having just received my hubmonster, 100mph is realistic as john has shown but how safe do you guys think it is?

i personally don't see much of a problem with it. after seeing what these dh bikes are made to do i can't see a flat stretch of road at a good speed being nearly as hard on the bike.

jansevr said:
[...] after seeing what these dh bikes are made to do i can't see a flat stretch of road at a good speed being nearly as hard on the bike.

The issue you're going to have is the potential of blowing out one or both tires because of all the heat. This isn't an issue on a ski slope.

you're going to have is the potential of blowing out one or both tires because of all the heat

that might be the case if you were using standard bike tires...thats why i said this would only be in a case where speed rated (for over 100mph) moped (or moto) tires would be used. im mainly talking about the stresses on the bike frame and whether or not it would be safe more in a sense of stability and the bike not falling apart :lol: to be specific i guess im talking about my turner dhr frame. old style square frame. a bit heavier but should be a stronger frame than the round in my opinion.

13985966825_765e49f783_b.jpg

We are still talking about a Central American chicken road. Sounds a it needs a course or strip. JohnCR how much you weigh lbs. or just kilo's so nobody knows.

I can attest to the problem of YouTube's video stabilization problems. It makes high speed runs look slower. John, I suggest you not allow YouTube to post-process your next video.

Architectonic said:
Mike, I for one am still very skeptical. You can't go 100 MPH on 27kw (at the battery/CA) with bicycle aerodynamics.

So either more power was used, or measurement error.

Wiki:

"The Kawasaki Ninja 300 is a 296cc sport bike introduced by Kawasaki in 2012 for the 2013 model. It is currently sold in Europe, North America, Australia and elsewhere.[3][4][5] In some markets, the Ninja 300 has replaced the Ninja 250R,[6] while in others the two are sold alongside each other.[7]

Performance[edit]

The Ninja 300 has a 296 cc (18.1 cu in) straight-twin engine.[8] Dynamometer tests showed that the Ninja 300 produces more power than the 250—34.77 to 34.95 hp (25.93 to 26.06 kW) compared with 25.48 hp (19.00 kW)—and higher torque across the rev range at 17.45 to 18 lb·ft (23.66 to 24.40 N·m).[1][9]

The motorcycle's top speed has been recorded at 170.6 km/h (106.0 mph) and acceleration at 5.6 to 6.41 seconds from 0 to 97 km/h (0 to 60 mph), and around 14.5 seconds 141.14 to 145.77 km/h (87.7 to 90.58 mph) in the quarter mile.[1"

It weighs 385lb.

Eskimo said:
*motorcycle performance specifications*

I would like you to re-read what I wrote, because I clearly stated bicycle aerodynamics. A fully fared sports bike is much more aerodynamic than an unfaired mountainbike with a long swingarm and a scooter wheel. Weight doesn't really matter so long as there is enough road to actually get to the top speed.

I got just educated on the other thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58641&p=875522#p875522

Eskimo wrote:
Same thing in low, RR-style frame with full fairing would be lot more aerodynamic. Better range.
What i am really looking up to is when somebody cranks up fully covered trike like Mango Sport with that sorta powertrain.
Very low aero and huge space for batteries under the fairing.
Sure that thing would be fun to ride.

"Motorcycle fairings are a cheap way to cover up the ugly bits underneath and deflect the air in a way that's advantageous to the rider. The aerodynamic drag is nearly the same as having no fairing."

:mrgreen:

But anyway, i think 100mph is not impossible with 27kw, light bike. It"s not easy though.
We want more proof.
A decade ago i had Yamaha RD250LC (not YPVS, 25kw), and it did 150 km/h, without any sort of fairing, very draggy.

my popcorn's gone all cold and soggy guys :(

where are all the vids of people doing ridiculous shit i wouldnt even dream of attempting??

let me know when to get ready to cook up another batch.....

MadRhino said:
Then, 100 mph is not that fast, depending of where you ride of course.
True, I'm probably full of emotional memories of getting tossed about in windy Iowa.

Losing a few HP to employ stabilizing aerodynamic devices seems prudent. I enjoy acceleration much more than time spent at speed.

on real bicycle aerodynamics you need about 35KW for 100mph

http://kreuzotter.de/deutsch/speed.htm

i think we know all that aerodynamic is the real Problem for speed.
with the right aerodynamic you can pedal without a motor 70 mph.
Bowier holds the record with 83 mph (!)

and we see the motorcycle aerodynamic get real 100mph with 25kw.

i dont need it under worldrecod conditions....but there are alot of smartphone apps that reecords your run and you can see it online.
like that:

https://www.runtastic.com/de/benutzer/andi-merlin/sportaktivitaeten/175361375

it is one of my top speed try outs.

i think GPS is Okay for "our needs"....
a correct cycle analyst could be more wrong because on these high speeds your tire has 1-3% wheelspin.

This is one of the worst groups of naysayers I've seen. Measurement error has already been dismissed by confirming the end to end distance with my GPS. "Wheel spin" .... I hope that's just a joke.

The guys talking about aero compared to a moto...please. Aero has 2 main components, the size of the hole you make through the wind and the amount of air disturbed in your wake. I punch a much smaller hole through the air than a motorcycle, and compared to a cyclist on an MTB I'm much more aerodynamic due to being lower and legs not extended. A closer comparison using the Kruezotter calculator would be the Superman position used for the 1hr bicycle record. Don't forget our 900m altitude, which is also good for a few mph. With my actual load input with the least aero tires that bike, it says 15.5kw is required for 100mph.

Good thing too, because peak input occurs much earlier during acceleration, not near top speed. I can't see the CA, so I don't know the power drawn at high speed. I've been over 100mph on the bike twice, and I know the statement is factual regardless of what anyone thinks. The next time will include enough evidence that everyone should be happy. Plus I'll make sure included are clips that make it look fast too.

What makes you guys such weak naysayers is that not one of you brought up the single legitimate argument that is still open. That is whether the run was wind aided. I can't say with certainty, because all I did was stop and lift my visor while I reset the CA, but for the 103mph run many months ago there was definitely wind, but it was a head wind. That run was the opposite direction, and the 107mph run in December was in the direction that's typically the same direction as the wind. Using the same assumptions for 15.5kw above with zero wind, a 10mph tail wind reduces the required power to just 12.7kw.

It will all be irrelevant soon enough. :mrgreen:

John

Merlin said:
on real bicycle aerodynamics you need 35kW

A ninja 250r motorcycle can achieve 100mph, while having a dyno measured 24hp maximum to the rear wheel. You don't need to take my word for it, you can easily find loads of test evidence.

I should do a power vs speed curve on flat ground on a minimal wind day for the forum, and do it in both directions to minimize potential road slope or wind effects.

I haven't taken data for specifically quantifying power at 100mph, but i have reviewed many power/speed logs and IIRC it takes around 18-20kW to sustain 100mph in a tuck.

i dont know your bike...just read what the buddys that know you said.
but glad to know tha you tried out kreuzotters calculator :D

*subscribed*

iam horny see your next video :D

ah btw: yes you have wheelspin on highspeed(s) on 300kph your wheelspin on a motorcycle is up to 5-8 kph
even with your flipflops :lol:

liveforphysics said:
Merlin said:
on real bicycle aerodynamics you need 35kW

A ninja 250r motorcycle can achieve 100mph, while having a dyno measured 24hp maximum to the rear wheel. You don't need to take my word for it, you can easily find loads of test evidence.

I should do a power vs speed curve on flat ground on a minimal wind day for the forum, and do it in both directions to minimize potential road slope or wind effects.

I haven't taken data for specifically quantifying power at 100mph, but i have reviewed many power/speed logs and IIRC it takes around 18-20kW to sustain 100mph in a tuck.

yep, in that position theres alot of Power in Play. 35KW is from the Kreuzotter Calc....try it out.
it is one of (germans) wise gurus about cycling and aerodynamics.

when you switch from upright position to a racedriver position you get 195 kph with 35KW and only 20KW for 160kph/100mph

John, how did you know you reached 107mph?

Was it on the display?

The argument a lot of guys are making is NOT whether you reached over 100mph. It's whether you posted the correct video along with your claim.

I'm going to go watch it again.

Mike,

Wrong video??? Are you $hitting me? As I posted before, the 1/4 mile mark is over 20m before that first green town/distance road sign, so just after I pass the first car, the white one, I hit the 1/4 mile. That's plain to see from the video. You probably haven't been in any vehicle with that kind of acceleration...and I was gradual with the throttle early and have it set to a fairly slow throttle voltage ramp up anyway, not to mention my soft phase current settings. Don't forget that at the time of that video, the bike came in at 137lbs and I weighed 265lbs.

You can't tell much regarding the top speed from the video, because the peak was only an instant, and it occurred when there was nothing around to help give a feel of relative speed. The next time will be very different. My mount is solid, so no modding the video for shaking, and I'm going to hold the throttle at WOT for quite a while, so we'll have plenty of relative speed references.

Merlin,

The distance reported by the CA is the same whether fast or slow, and I did double check it later with the GPS and came within 2m as I posted earlier, so there's no wheel spin. Sure under hard acceleration and even slightly uneven ground, I lose a bit of traction and hear the rear tire chirp. It happens most rides leaving one stoplight in particular, but you're not going to convince me that my 400lb load is leaving the ground on that smooth concrete highway.

Of course I don't sit upright for speed runs. That would make a 15-20mph difference. My chin goes just past the bars, causing my helmet to be like a small front fairing. My torso is pretty much horizontal. Pedals are horizontal, and I try to get the bottoms of my feet horizontal too. That puts my legs fairly crouched up (saddle to BB is too short for pedaling. I would have to raise the saddle to set up for proper pedaling.). I also try to remember to squeeze my knees to the battery pack to minimize the overall width. I think it's a pretty good position, and obviously my beached whale shape isn't hurting aerodynamics much.

BTW, I've used the Kreuzotter calculator for years. Go punch in a 400lb bike and rider load and look at 50mph up a 20% grade. While the 10kw+ required at the wheel seems impressive, the impressive part is how quickly the bike accelerates on that solid 20% grade after slowing down enough for curves that I get regen recovery braking for curves. I still need some brake upgrades for video proof. The only time I made the climb, which is several km of 20%+ grade, I had to walk back down, because even with 2 controllers regen braking, I didn't have enough mechanical braking to ride down safely. :mrgreen:

MikeFairbanks said:
John, how did you know you reached 107mph?

Was it on the display?

The argument a lot of guys are making is NOT whether you reached over 100mph. It's whether you posted the correct video along with your claim.

I'm going to go watch it again.

Just for the sake of argument just because the car is small doesn't mean it isn't going fast.

A three cylinder, one-litre Toyota Yaris can do 155kph and that is as small as they come with the least powerful engine offering. If a car has got four wheels it can probably do at least 90mph irrespective of size or engine capacity.

And 999zip999 you do realise that the US has got a poor reputation internationally when it comes to quality of roads? Some self-awareness would be nice before you cast disparaging remarks about another country's infrastructure.

Joseph C. said:
And 999zip999 you do realise that the US has got a poor reputation internationally when it comes to quality of roads? Some self-awareness would be nice before you cast disparaging remarks about another country's infrastructure.

The road for the video was opened after LFP was here, and it doesn't see heavy truck traffic. Cyclist and runners use the shoulder a lot, so I'm sure they help keep it clean. Overall that stretch surpasses any interstate highway I've been on in the states in terms of being dead smooth and lack of debris. It's a tollway BTW.

If Im seeing the first 7 seconds correctly, Im seeing a bike rocketing forward harder than any non-deathbike bicycle video Ive ever seen, and I seeing slowing to reduce speed before overtaking Costa Rican freeway traffic after that first Impressive push of acceleration. I cant accurately judge its peak velocity, but from that acceleration it has, its certainly got the power. That 0-60mph looks pretty sportbike-esque to me, and its not that light of a vehicle+rider to be accelerating.

I have complete confidence your bike can show the doubters a video with GPS in the shot. Even though I know its a little spookey to ride a bicycle at 100mph in flip flops on an uncontrolled public freeway, maintain the speed for like 4 sec at least. Vehicles with very rapid acceleration can have brief peak speeds buffered out if the dont hold it for a few seconds.

At least wear gloves though. Trust me, you do not want to regrow your palms.

have you ever considered addressing aerodynamics John? it seems that you frequently travel good distances at speeds exceeding 50mph. with a small front fairing or cone and a rear tail i would imagine you would see a considerable decrease in power consumption. also with a simple fairing and tail im sure the bike would be capable of speeds over 120mph

Am i reading this right, you need 70hp to hit 100mph?

My KTM 300 2 stroke has 50 Hp and easly does 100mph+ if i geared it that way and i do have the cogging to do it as i have wound it out way past 100mph, the speedo only goes to 180kph and ive seen it off the clock many times.

When you watch johns Video, if you take a look at the 1st car he passes he is also passing a 100kph speed sign at the same time, Im no expert but having passed cars at that speed heading home from the bush on my bike he caught that car bloody quick and passed it like it was standing still and the take off speed is awesome.
Yes im only a noob to this site but seriously guys who came up with the 70hp needed to hit 100mph, lol

Check out the world speed record for the sub 100cc class of motor bike on the salt lake in the usa, that bike with a young girl on it hits 200kph and its lucky to have 20hp.

Back