Post with a video of a cromotor over 100 mph

liveforphysics said:
If Im seeing the first 7 seconds correctly, Im seeing a bike rocketing forward harder than any non-deathbike bicycle video Ive ever seen, and I seeing slowing to reduce speed before overtaking Costa Rican freeway traffic after that first Impressive push of acceleration. I cant accurately judge its peak velocity, but from that acceleration it has, its certainly got the power. That 0-60mph looks pretty sportbike-esque to me, and its not that light of a vehicle+rider to be accelerating.

I have complete confidence your bike can show the doubters a video with GPS in the shot. Even though I know its a little spookey to ride a bicycle at 100mph in flip flops on an uncontrolled public freeway, maintain the speed for like 4 sec at least. Vehicles with very rapid acceleration can have brief peak speeds buffered out if the dont hold it for a few seconds.

At least wear gloves though. Trust me, you do not want to regrow your palms.

I twisted the throttle fairly deliberately and held it at WOT until at least the 18 second mark. Once I passed the initial white car, there's not really good reference for speed, or acceleration for that matter. He was probably going 50ish (in mph) I don't have it tuned for lifting the front wheel like Deathbike, and don't have that kind of torque anyway, but yeah acceleration from 10-15mph all the way through 75-80mph is more fun than any vehicle I've owed. The continuous pull is addicting, and I can't imagine going back to something that requires shifting gears, though I still wouldn't mind a clutch function. I don't have that perfect throttle control like your Sevcon.

My concern is john and my love for John on a open road which can have trash or potholes. While vidieo taping a speed run. JohnCr do you wear leathers and armor.
Ye the roads in the USA are shit some falling in random sink holes. One house in forida fell 60 feet and they lost one man, don't know if they ever found him in that hole. Plus how about the bridge in Minnasota that fell down while a ebiker was on it ? I know it wasn't the ebikers fault as he was only goiung 20mph, If he was going 40mph he wouldn't have been on the bridge.

Helmet, shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. I got used to wearing a my helmet around Christmas when it felt more dangerous than normal due to the increase number of drivers and decrease capabilities. Plus one of the local transit cops got on me for not having a helmet on, so I simply wear it all the time now and accept the increased odds of an accident that comes with it. My total exposure otherwise helps keep me riding careful and cautious. My risk in the event of an accident is extreme, but my risk of an accident is miniscule, so now way leathers in this tropical sun would be worth it. If I start riding off road you can bet your a$$ I'll be covered in protective gear.

Thanks for the concern though.

It's interesting the psychological effect that knowing you are in severe risk causes one to be extra vigilant.

I would have to agree with John, that when you knowingly expose yourself to risk like this, you are more careful.

Having ample protection can perhaps make you more complacent than you otherwise would be.

The best way to avoid injury is to not get in an accident, by recognizing the distracted driver and knowing how to get the hell out of their way fast.

I look into the eyes of a car driver and hope they understand not to run me over. Plus if a car let's me go first I decline amd let them go first. I know there tricks. Like I wouldn't hit you. Please go just go in front of me. Ha how dumb do they think I am.

By the way, even though I was questioning the video, I'm not questioning the speeds you have attained. Regardless of the speed you went in the video, it's obvious that you were blowing by cars on the freeway, and that says a lot.

I also admire the guts it takes to do that. I'm afraid of speed (too many youtube videos scared me).

accept the increased odds of an accident that comes with it

reminds me of riding around last night. so i just got replacement headlights yesterday (i haven't been running a front light for a month up to this point) and last night in a period of 10 minutes while riding a few miles to a friends house i was nearly hit on 3 separate occasions. this is ironic because i haven't had any near collisions recently (while riding at night without a light) but the first time a get a light people somehow STILL don't see me?

keep in mind this is the same riding style i always do. between 20-30mph in the bike lane. like teslanv says, it is interesting the psychological effect (in this case lights and no lights) has. maybe i have been more safe without the lights...although i always feel extremely alert while riding. even last night i had plenty of time to react when a car failed to see me.

I tried to get video for Mike of 80-85mph up a 7% grade on the highway, and that direction always has cars for plenty of relative speed reference. Traffic was too congested though for my conservative riding. On a later leg of my errand run I forgot to turn the camera on and sure enough 2 motorcycles challenged my from a stoplight that has no side streets for about 500m and few in the remaining stretch of excellent road surface. After properly putting them into their gasser places, I slowed and one of them pulled along side and got embarrassed again rolling on the throttle at 35-40mph. They typically run and hide, so thrashing one twice on the same ride was a rare treat, but alas no video :( . I guess you'll have to take me at my word. :|

jansevr said:
accept the increased odds of an accident that comes with it

reminds me of riding around last night. so i just got replacement headlights yesterday (i haven't been running a front light for a month up to this point) and last night in a period of 10 minutes while riding a few miles to a friends house i was nearly hit on 3 separate occasions. this is ironic because i haven't had any near collisions recently (while riding at night without a light) but the first time a get a light people somehow STILL don't see me?

keep in mind this is the same riding style i always do. between 20-30mph in the bike lane. like teslanv says, it is interesting the psychological effect (in this case lights and no lights) has. maybe i have been more safe without the lights...although i always feel extremely alert while riding. even last night i had plenty of time to react when a car failed to see me.

I avoid riding at night except in emergencies. Half of adult cyclist fatalities occur at night when only a tiny % ride. Sure the drunks with revoked licenses account for a chunk, but we can't see nearly as well and while we should have enough light to be seen, a single headlight is hard to judge speed. Plus my primary crash avoidance tactic, using speed and acceleration to create tremendous space is out the window. I can't use the 2 ton steel blocking back approach either, because there's definitely no way to see a crash causing pothole if I'm snugged up close off the rear corner of a car. No no it's best not to ride at night, and for me that makes far more difference in safety that putting on a helmet.

Man, be careful. Those speeds are really fast for any vehicle. I won't even go 80mph in my Honda Civic. I'm not even comfortable at 70mph in it. It's so easy to lose control at those speeds.

My last car accident was 72mph. I lost control around a curb on a newly paved, slick highway. I tried to correct but it was hopeless. The car took on a life of its own and I had no option but to be dumbfounded as we flew off the road (my pregnant wife and me) down a bank and straight into a tree.

Of the three of us there was only one death: the car. But it tauught me a valuable lesson about safety. And neither my wife nor I had a scratch. And the pregnancy wasn't affected.

100mph on pavement is a wipeout you don't want. Gear up.

Back