Rod's Raptor 140 Build

Surely the grin controller can't take 24S?

Is this just a temporary controller maybe?

kudos said:
Surely the grin controller can't take 24S?

Is this just a temporary controller maybe?

No it won't take 24s, but it can handle 18s. The plan has changed when I managed to get a mini e controller

I may just get the bike running with this controller for now until the addapto arrives as it wired ready to go.

Rodney64 said:
No all good I'll run the 24 fet Jay
Woo hoo, I'm un-banned :p
Have you had a play with the available internal space and whether you can shoe horn the 24 fet in there as well ? I'm not sure what the greentime ones are like size wise compared to the infineons (I think the infineons are a little wider?) but I found them a bit too chunky to fit without playing lipo tetris, which isnt even an option for you with a neatly constructed lipo pack like that (which is a good thing!)
I guess controller failures are rare but I've thought about fitting an internal sensorless 6 fet to mine as a backup, just incase you get caught out somewhere with a crook controller or blow a hall.
The mini-e will make for a nice mid-high powered raptor with potentially huge battery capacity if you needed to. Twice the exercise, 4 times the scenery :mrgreen:

BTW, I just fitted the headset on the second raptor I'm building. With a smear of grease around the ID of the headtube and the headset cups a few hrs in the freezer they knocked in with the slightest effort. I'll be interested to see what others have found as they shouldn't be as hard to fit as you found.

How did you go fitting up the rear caliper ? As you noted the supplied mount is a straight bolt up fit for an 8" disc but did you need to use the spacers to move it inwards towards the motor?

Hyena said:
Rodney64 said:
No all good I'll run the 24 fet Jay
Woo hoo, I'm un-banned :p
Have you had a play with the available internal space and whether you can shoe horn the 24 fet in there as well ? I'm not sure what the greentime ones are like size wise compared to the infineons (I think the infineons are a little wider?) but I found them a bit too chunky to fit without playing lipo tetris, which isnt even an option for you with a neatly constructed lipo pack like that (which is a good thing!)
I guess controller failures are rare but I've thought about fitting an internal sensorless 6 fet to mine as a backup, just incase you get caught out somewhere with a crook controller or blow a hall.
The mini-e will make for a nice mid-high powered raptor with potentially huge battery capacity if you needed to. Twice the exercise, 4 times the scenery :mrgreen:

BTW, I just fitted the headset on the second raptor I'm building. With a smear of grease around the ID of the headtube and the headset cups a few hrs in the freezer they knocked in with the slightest effort. I'll be interested to see what others have found as they shouldn't be as hard to fit as you found.

How did you go fitting up the rear caliper ? As you noted the supplied mount is a straight bolt up fit for an 8" disc but did you need to use the spacers to move it inwards towards the motor?

Yes unbanned.
Ill try the 24 fet tonight inside and run it first on 48 volt so I can have it running today. This controller will run sensored or sensorless. At this stage I haven't tried with space but I'm keen to try. The cover does look good if the controllers under the frame.

Yes grease I never used. So it's a good tip for anyone who hasn't fitted a headset before place it first into the freezer. Another tip for first timers when installing the headset is to take note when unpacking so you know the order when installing.

I had to pack out the rear brake with spacers, I used washers and 30mm bolts. But the adaptor fitted well.

I have started wiring my controller. Ill try turning the controller around so the wires are in the front. This way I might get the last battery in for 24s.

I'm looking at making a plate to bolt to the top of the frame so I can use the existing holes.

A few little holes here and there aren't going to hurt it.
I put my wiring exit in the middle on the underside. I like symmetry :p

file.php

Rodney64 said:
The red arrow is where I'm planning on drilling a hole to pass the phase and hall wires though.

If it makes for a neater wire run to the hub I don't see a problem drilling there. But do you really want to drill it? Looks so purdy in that fresh white paint... :p

Nice Rodney best thing i like is the 17" wheels i like the look and apart from that a broad tyre choice, and of course youll be rewarded with better acceleration and a cooler running motor

Awesome Rod, that thing sounds like it wants to go wicked quick off the line, blip the throttle, you gone. :twisted: Have you tried it off road yet? I can't wait till you get those SR241 3.00-17 mounted, I think you will be amazed at how well those tires work everywhere. Thanks for posting the vid, that's one mean machine. Has Ryan asked you to trade for the Phasor yet?

Rix said:
Awesome Rod, that thing sounds like it wants to go wicked quick off the line, blip the throttle, you gone. :twisted: Have you tried it off road yet? I can't wait till you get those SR241 3.00-17 mounted, I think you will be amazed at how well those tires work everywhere. Thanks for posting the vid, that's one mean machine. Has Ryan asked you to trade for the Phasor yet?

No off roading yet but plan on some tomorrow and looking forward to trying it. I'll bump it up to 18s tomorrow. Quick but slow on 12s

Rodney64 said:
Rix said:

No off roading yet but plan on some tomorrow and looking forward to trying it. I'll bump it up to 18s tomorrow. Quick but slow on 12s

Outstanding, fill us in on your outback ride.

Back