The new Qute Q100H motor

motomech said:
........, but your motor kit is the "higher powered" Cute, which Elifebike tags as a "F" and BMS B. gives a suffix of "H".

Doesn't the F mean front motor?

Yes, you are right
The Q85 front at ELB is called QQM85F.
BUT, ELB has dropped the standard version of the Cute, so one gets the "higher torque" version by default.
And the "260" wind sort of guarantees it.
To me, that is really less important than the wind-speed anyhow.

motomech said:
I am not sure why D8veh as experienced over-heating with Q100 motors. Sunder, Fellow, Crossbreak, Mtl34 and I have used various Cute motors at Voltages up to 14S(58V?) and Amps in the 20's and none of us have had the Cute even get particularly warm.
But most of us have had over-heating with the tiny 6-FET controllers, especially if they are in a bag.
That is one of the reasons I like the 9-FET from ELB. It is larger and has lot's of air-space inside the case.
I am using one now on a "328" Cute(in a 24" whl.), and it is inside a bag, and although it gets warm, it is holding up fine.

It is a very smooth and quiet unit and I think even the 500W(19A) version would be safe on most Q100 applications(I have one here to try). BTW, they are available on Ebay, if you ever need to order one.

That is good info motomech. Thanks.

I have had problems with the 6FET controllers overheating (mine was from greenbikekit). I solved the problem by putting it in open air and with a heat sink. However, putting one in a bag out of site is preferable!

That looks like a good find I assume you mean this one:
"http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2012-7Q-P96D.9KNYX"
36V/48V 350W 9Mosfets Max. Cut-off Current: 17A

Is that your preferred cute controller? I assume 17Amps isn't a problem with these motors (probably near the upper limit I imagine.

Thanks again for all the great advice guys. Pretty glad I found endless sphere or I possibly wouldn't have taken the plunge.
Elifebike emailed me yesterday asking if they could ... "send me the correct item" then went on to list the 6 fet 36v controller to match the motor. I was happy with this contact because to me it looks like they are trying to do the right thing and match up the components. Of course I said no thanks, please send the 9 fet 48v controller but it was nice to know they cared (and gave me some indication my order was progressing). Now I hope I was clear enough and they send me what I ordered. Might just send another mage to make sure!

Cheers
chridder

Elifebike seem to be very good with that sort of thing. I've heard a few good stories about them.

Hello ebikers,
It's update time! the full kit has finally arrived and, as it turns out, elifebike beat bms battery by about 3 days bit all up I was pretty happy with about 7 to 10 days from order to arrival in Western Australia.
For those who didn't see my original post the kit is a q100h in front 26 inch wheel with 48v frame style battery rated at 20A continuous. Controller limited to 17A.
Last night I quickly plugged it all in and did a very dodgy masking tape job to hold it together (was too excited to make it neat) and went for a quick blast around the suburbs. OMG I am in love with my bike again! The motor looks so tiny in the wheel i wasn't holding much hope of it having much pulling power at all but this thing really does go well it will accelerate on the flat by itself to top speed no problems at all . Into a wind I put in a little bit of pedalling myself and maintain speed easily, same with small hills. On steep hills the speed drops off naturally but still really easy to pedal with it.
I did test it up about a 10% by itself and it will pull up but starts to bog down and get noisy and that's where I stop pushing my luck because I haven't got the torque arms on yet and I don't want a disaster in the first few days!
When it's flat or I'm pedaling I'm astounded on how quiet it is, I blasted past a lycra boy last night and I don't reckon he knew what hit him. Must've thought "geez that bloke's fit!"... such a great feeling ;)
For my first ebike I reckon I've struck it pretty lucky with the combination I went for. I might be biased given it is my first ebike but I must say it is awesome. Thank you one and all for your great advice.
If you have any questions let me know as I did learn a few things along the way, like putting the wheel in backwards was a bad idea!

Attachments

• 2015-02-21 14.35.56.jpg
    2015-02-21 14.35.56.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,938
Cool.
Get torque arms asap for that front motor though!

You can't really go wrong with this motor it seems. The efficiency for this little geared hub is quite good compared to other models, and probably competes with the more expensive ebikes.ca outrider to be honest.

neptronix said:
Cool.
Get torque arms asap for that front motor though!

You can't really go wrong with this motor it seems. The efficiency for this little geared hub is quite good compared to other models, and probably competes with the more expensive ebikes.ca outrider to be honest.
Yeah, but the MXUS/Outrider are at least 20 % bigger and I run about 20 % more current with the MXUS over the standard Cute(ELB 9-FET 17A vs. an Infinon 22A).
The MXUS/Infineon/12S combo @ WOT is on the verge of breaking the frt. tire loose and I use a TA on it. No TA on standard Cute.
But I have sold the trusty MXUS/Infineon. Love the power, but the dentist drill whine the two together produce drives me nuts.

Are you referring to your Q100C or did you test a Q100H?

Q100H is a significantly different motor than the older Q100 motors.

chridder said:
Hello ebikers,
It's update time! the full kit has finally arrived and, as it turns out, elifebike beat bms battery by about 3 days bit all up I was pretty happy with about 7 to 10 days from order to arrival in Western Australia.
For those who didn't see my original post the kit is a q100h in front 26 inch wheel with 48v frame style battery rated at 20A continuous. Controller limited to 17A.
Last night I quickly plugged it all in and did a very dodgy masking tape job to hold it together (was too excited to make it neat) and went for a quick blast around the suburbs. OMG I am in love with my bike again! The motor looks so tiny in the wheel i wasn't holding much hope of it having much pulling power at all but this thing really does go well it will accelerate on the flat by itself to top speed no problems at all . Into a wind I put in a little bit of pedalling myself and maintain speed easily, same with small hills. On steep hills the speed drops off naturally but still really easy to pedal with it.
I did test it up about a 10% by itself and it will pull up but starts to bog down and get noisy and that's where I stop pushing my luck because I haven't got the torque arms on yet and I don't want a disaster in the first few days!
When it's flat or I'm pedaling I'm astounded on how quiet it is, I blasted past a lycra boy last night and I don't reckon he knew what hit him. Must've thought "geez that bloke's fit!"... such a great feeling ;)
For my first ebike I reckon I've struck it pretty lucky with the combination I went for. I might be biased given it is my first ebike but I must say it is awesome. Thank you one and all for your great advice.
If you have any questions let me know as I did learn a few things along the way, like putting the wheel in backwards was a bad idea!
Kwel beans.
I went ahead and ordered about the same thing, with a few diff.s, and have already received it. I ordered the Q100H from BMS B. with black motor, blk. spokes and the same rim you got. Looks awesome, but your silver motor looks good with the silver frame.
I'll try the ELB 9-FET 19A with the "H", since these controllers are so soft start and smooth.
But eventually I'm going to try the tiny SO6S sine-wave again, when I can get the PAS sensor sorted out. I ordered the new, dual Hall, but it won't work with my TruVativ FireX crank. I need the two-piece sensor ring.
I want it to be a pedal bike again, super quiet and stealthy.I'll post some pics here.
How was the Elifebike wheel build?

neptronix said:
Are you referring to your Q100C or did you test a Q100H?

Q100H is a significantly different motor than the older Q100 motors.
The older standard Cutes(250W?), both the frt. and CST rear. These are 328's in 24" wheels.
I haven't opened a Q100H, but whatever their internal diff.s, they are the same housings and D8veh felt their performances were similar. I suspect the biggest benefit might be the mid-wind(about the same as the MXUS/Outrider)which is a good compromise that is so important with a Mini.
I tried the Elifebike 9-FER 19A on my standard Cutes and it didn't seem to be too hard on the clutch and gears and I am looking forward to trying it on the "H".
Although they are Square-wave, they feel like a sine-wave. Like it is fitted with a Rv cam. While the Infineons come on like it has a performance cam. I will use a TA with this Combo.

The H motors have double internal reductions ( 13:1-16:1 reduction ratios ) and higher efficiency. Same case, different motor, different power expectations.

BMSBattery had posted a graph a while ago showing 82-83% efficiency at 400w input. Their current graph shows that the motor is still around peak efficiency at 400w, so it's possible that it's capable of a little more than that continuously, which is a good sign.

Looks like they've removed a lot of useful information when they updated their website, IE the note about double internal reduction.

neptronix said:
Looks like they've removed a lot of useful information when they updated their website, IE the note about double internal reduction.

Interesting. Somebody posted internal pictures here a couple of years ago that showed the 24v models using a single reduction gear, while the 36v models had a double reduction gear. the motor I took apart a couple of years ago had double reduction gears.

In my experience (with the older motors) the internal reduction gears gave me a feeling of more torque at speed, but it bogged down a little easier at very low speeds.

chridder said:
Hello ebikers,

good looking build. I can see why you are happy - that is a nice setup you have. They let you ride around that fast in Perth or what?

A little advice please? I haven't tried one of these hub motors before, but I just got another bike that I thought I would try one on. It will be a 36V front hub motor, steel forks with a 100mm dropout and 26" wheels. I want PAS and a throttle.

Will I need to worry about torque arms?

Q100H 201rpm v 260rpm?

I am looking at the 09 bottle mount battery. The 14A S06S Torque Simulation Sine Wave controller seems alright, but there is a 20A Sine Wave Controller option for 09-Case. Thoughts?

What is the difference between the S-LCD3 and the S-LCD1 E-Bike LCD Meter?

What other bits do I need while I am ordering and any things I need to specify to make sure I get the correct bits?

Will I need to worry about torque arms?

At 36V/14A, I don't think you would need one, but order them anyhow. They are cheap and super easy to install on a frt. mount. Later, If you want to upgrade the controller and/batt. (likely :lol: ), you will have them.

Q100H 201rpm v 260rpm?
260 would be better, as a 201 on 36V is kind of slow, 18 to 19 mph.
260 if you meet the following;
You don't weigh 300 lb.s
You don't frequent hills that are used for winter sports.
You are willing to pedal.
....but there is a 20A Sine Wave Controller option for 09-Case. Thoughts?
I seem to recall an issue when using the intergrated controller with the Cute. Dave(D8veh) will chime in on this. You can search this as well.
What is the difference between the S-LCD3 and the S-LCD1 E-Bike LCD Meter?
It's a matter of features.
These are two products where there is actual info at the BMS Battery site. Download the manuals.
What other bits do I need while I am ordering and any things I need to specify to make sure I get the correct bits.
Thumb throttle
Hidden brake sensor
spoke wrench
PAS
Which PAS system depends on your crank bottom bracket type.
I'm late to PAS, so I'm still working out the details. What we really need, is a definitive tutorial that could be made a sticky(Hummm, I wonder who could do that...??)
Can you tell us/post a pic of the style BB your bike has?

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd have given exactly the same answers. The problem with the 20A integrated controller is only the speed display. It needs a motor with an internal speed sensor to show the speed when you're freewheeling. You can still use an external speed sensor to get it correct, but that involves a little bit of wiring. I think I heard that the Q100H now has the speed sensor. You need to check with BMSB.

Member Cwah runs his 260 rpm Q100H at 48v with the integrated 20A controller. It does 25 mph and he doesn't pedal. He's less than 70kg, so it works for him. I think that it would be worth a try at 36v if you're a bit heavier. I would use a torque arm for anything above 36v 14A, and, as they don't cost much, you might as well fit one anyway.

Be sure to grab a 12mm torque arm and not the common 14mm for DD and larger geared motors.

Nice summary motomech

Wow, 350rpm on a Q100 and no pedaling? That sounds like a lot. I guess it is doable; I run a 300rpm version at 24mph, and a 328rpm version at 25mph (both with a couple hundred watts added by pedaling). I wonder where the weak spot is – probably the controller. 20amps sounds like it is pushing it for this motor.

chas58 said:
Nice summary motomech

Wow, 350rpm on a Q100 and no pedaling? That sounds like a lot. I guess it is doable; I run a 300rpm version at 24mph, and a 328rpm version at 25mph (both with a couple hundred watts added by pedaling). I wonder where the weak spot is – probably the controller. 20amps sounds like it is pushing it for this motor.
His bike is for sale now in London. Here's a link to his ad, where he gives a bit more info about it:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/25mph-sine-wave-mountain-bike.20238/

Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful. I have sent BMSB an email asking about the internal speed sensor on the Q100H.

Is the integrated 20A controller for the 09 case a torque simulation style?

BMSB emailed to say that the Q100H has an internal speed sensor and for the 09 battery case, a Torque Simulation controller is a Sine Wave Controller.

Only downside is I wanted a polished finish, but I either have to wait a month or they have black in stock now.

Back