1000watt Hub motor not going over 5KM/H / 3.1 Mile

serxy

1 µW
Hi guys,

Don't know if any of you came across this issue before but here it goes;
My old man is disabled and he has a mobility scooter, unfortunately neither the range or the speed is enough for him to freely travel. (Top Speed 5km/ range 15)
Also unfortunately we live in a nanny state, so no dısability vehicles are sold that goes faster than 5km/h.
So, we modified his scooter and we were able fit a 1000watt 48v Hub motor to the front.
We connected a 48v 25ah lithium battery and speed does not go over 5km/h (3.1 Mile)

So far we checked the battery with a voltmeter and it shows 54volts ( No issues)
Via the LCD screen we checked the settings, Voltage is on 48V, No speed limit, Rim size is correct.
We've tried 3 different controllers all have the same issue.
2 different hub motors, both 1000w 48v both have the same issue.

I've put a link to 2 seperate videos which you can see what I mean

Any help will be greatly appreciated

What controllers did you try as display, motor and battery don't control speed as you probably already know 🤔🙂✌️

What controllers did you try as display, motor and battery don't control speed as you probably already know 🤔🙂✌️
I have attached pictures of the display and controller

Attachments

• IMG-20230702-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230702-WA0005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20230703-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230703-WA0000.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 4
Is this a matched set kit that was programmed by the manufacturer to work together?

Did you use the learning wire to configure the motor to controller operation, then leave disconnected?

Regards,
T.C.

My old man is disabled and he has a mobility scooter, unfortunately neither the range or the speed is enough for him to freely travel. (Top Speed 5km/ range 15)
Also unfortunately we live in a nanny state, so no dısability vehicles are sold that goes faster than 5km/h.
So, we modified his scooter and we were able fit a 1000watt 48v Hub motor to the front.
We connected a 48v 25ah lithium battery and speed does not go over 5km/h (3.1 Mile)

What voltage was the original system?

What diameter was it's wheel? (and was it a hubmotor? or?)

What diameter is the new wheel?

If the original voltage was 48v, and had the same diameter wheel, then you probably won't see that much difference in speed, only whatever the difference in windings creates.

If the motor and controller came as a set, what speed was advertised for them in the wheel size the motor came in?

So far we checked the battery with a voltmeter and it shows 54volts ( No issues)
Via the LCD screen we checked the settings, Voltage is on 48V, No speed limit, Rim size is correct.
We've tried 3 different controllers all have the same issue.
2 different hub motors, both 1000w 48v both have the same issue.
Does the controller have different assist modes? If so, are you in a mode that is unlimited in speed?

Does the controller require PAS for throttle to operate, or to allow greater range of operation?

Is the motor and controller sensorless? (only three thick phase wires to motor, and no ohter wires to it)

If not, and it is sensored, then do the controllers have a self-learn function to match them to the motor?

If so, has that been run yet? What were the results?

If not, have you already gone thru the possible phase - hall wiring combinations manually, to find the combination that spins the motor in the right direction at the lowest possible current at full throttle with the wheel off ground (no load)? (should be about 1-2A at most in this condition)

I don't know what kit you got, but my guess the controller is missing signals from some components.
Seems your throttle is configured to walk assist only, which usually is 5 mph. To go faster you need a working PAS.
Try to get documentation about the controller and, maybe, find out how to change it's fixed parameters= reprogram it.

Back