2 48v batteries to 72v

Hi I’m in a bit of a spot here. I have 2 48v batteries but the motor I’m wanting to run is 72v, I have the proper esc. How would I go about turning those batteries into 72v?

What is the maximum current needed by the system?
I’m very new to this but I think 100amps. I’m using the spintend duel ubox V2 that has an output of 100amps on one esc and 100 on the other, but I plan on only using one side if possible. The motor I’m using is72v 15000w Big Power Bldc Mid Motor For Electric Tricycle Electric Four Wheelers” From Ali express.

Hi I’m in a bit of a spot here. I have 2 48v batteries but the motor I’m wanting to run is 72v, I have the proper esc. How would I go about turning those batteries into 72v?
Hi! To power a 72V motor with two 48V batteries, you'll need to connect them in series. This will combine the voltages of the two batteries, giving you the required 72V for the motor. However, ensure that the batteries have the same capacity and are compatible for series connection. Connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other. The remaining positive and negative terminals will be your 72V output to the ESC. Exercise caution when working with high voltages and refer to the battery and ESC manufacturer guidelines for proper wiring and safety procedures.

Hi! To power a 72V motor with two 48V batteries, you'll need to connect them in series. This will combine the voltages of the two batteries, giving you the required 72V for the motor. However, ensure that the batteries have the same capacity and are compatible for series connection. Connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other. The remaining positive and negative terminals will be your 72V output to the ESC. Exercise caution when working with high voltages and refer to the battery and ESC manufacturer guidelines for proper wiring and safety procedures.
How do you propose to reduce the voltage from 96v to 72v in an economically feasible manner?

How do you propose to reduce the voltage from 96v to 72v in an economically feasible manner?
To reduce the 96V from the two 48V batteries connected in series down to the required 72V for the motor, one economical solution would be to use a buck converter circuit. A buck converter is a DC-DC step-down voltage regulator that takes a higher input voltage and efficiently steps it down to a lower output voltage.

You can find off-the-shelf buck converter modules rated for the appropriate input voltage (96V) and output voltage (72V) and current for your application. These modules typically use a switching regulator design and can achieve high efficiencies of 80-95%.

To reduce the 96V from the two 48V batteries connected in series down to the required 72V for the motor, one economical solution would be to use a buck converter circuit. A buck converter is a DC-DC step-down voltage regulator that takes a higher input voltage and efficiently steps it down to a lower output voltage.

You can find off-the-shelf buck converter modules rated for the appropriate input voltage (96V) and output voltage (72V) and current for your application. These modules typically use a switching regulator design and can achieve high efficiencies of 80-95%.
How much would that cost for a unit that outputs 40A, for example?
Or 100A as the OP is proposing?

Last edited:
How much would that cost for a unit that outputs 40A, for example?
Or 100A as the OP is proposing?
ChatGPT thinks you're talking to ChatGPT. I don't know why its getting so in depth with the responses here, but quoting it is probably giving it what it wants.

How would I go about turning those batteries into 72v?
You can't. Well, ok, you can, but it's super risky and will be a pain in the ass. For the spintend controller, you really don't want the battery voltage to be over the 72v nominal max; 84v. A "48v" battery at max charge will be 54.6v. If you fully charge the two batteries and series them together, you're going to be pushing 109.2v into the unit and you will 100% fry the hell out of it.

You could, in theory, only charge each of the two batteries up to about 42v (series for 84) -- but that's half the capacity of the batteries. That's be wildly wasteful.

Here's what you do instead:
  1. Realize that a motor doesn't (for the most part) give a shit what voltage you run through it. You'll affect the maximum speed and other factors depending on the motor wind, but putting 48v through a "72v" motor is just fine.

2. Run the batteries in parallel and turn on field weakening in the controller. With dual batteries you can afford the extra current overhead and you'll get a good way to the speed you'd have on a true 72v battery setup anyway.

Well that certainly reinforces the case for the 96v controller solution in order to save money, weight, and space, as well as being more efficient. 👍

Well that certainly reinforces the case for the 96v controller solution in order to save money, weight, and space, as well as being more efficient
Also, if you need >50A you get a fun bit of fan noise to constantly listen to!

edit: hold up -- those only work on 12/24 dc to dc, lol.

Last edited:
Back