20/30mph for 30 miles - what build could do this?

Back to brakes, I don't like rim breaks because they wear the rim on the motor wheel down leaving you with a thinner rim that needs replacing.

Rim brakes always need adjusting and wear down the much quicker.

I've just got the YescomUSA motor kit yesterday. I noticed that it's heavier than I thought. I want to build a bike that is both for fun/fitness and for commuting. All of a sudden, I realized I should treat ebike as means of commuting only ... :)

adobian said:
I've just got the YescomUSA motor kit yesterday. I noticed that it's heavier than I thought. I want to build a bike that is both for fun/fitness and for commuting. All of a sudden, I realized I should treat ebike as means of commuting only ... :)

A friend of mine (who was just getting into ebiking) had a similar comment when I told him the weight of an average hubmotor is about 12 pounds. He said "Wow I didn't realize that......that's just like carrying the weight of a regular bowling ball on my bike". Then I proceded to tell him that you still need to add the weight of the battery, the controller, torque arms, and a rack or mounting system for all this extra equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOc1cGdJiw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6c3gLLagX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E31PpB08AV0&playnext=1&list=PL190BBE26451727D1

27lbs, 1000W for 12 hours before refueling.

Hybrid bike anyone? Gas generator powering electric hub motor?

adobian said:
The weight isn't really a problem for me. I ride mine at least 10 miles a day. I don't commute. I just ride for the exercise. I only use the motor on grades and pedal with it usually at about 10mph using cruise control, or intermittent thottle taps to maintain speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AaqAhW2VI

Another idea.

Use any bike. Better than friction drive I think.

adobian said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AaqAhW2VI

Another idea.

Use any bike. Better than friction drive I think.

A pusher trailer is a good approach for low power levels. For enough power to attain 30mph, I expect it would be temperamental with regard to traction and control. For the kinds of 40+ mph power levels that many contributors here use, it's not a workable design.

I expect to build a pusher trailer before long, because I already have an assortment of parts that would be suitable for the job. I'll probably shoot for the same under-20mph speeds the RideKick provides, but with more provision for cargo. Under-20mph speeds are a job for pedal power, unless you have things to haul.

Chalo

Quite a cool little trailer but not for me. Id also wouldn't like to have that on a narrow cycling track with my bike wheels in the middle of the track and the 2 outer wheels of the trailer bouncing over the outer raised ridges of a track. It would be a nightmare.

I'd think the best solution would be one of those tag along training single wheels that I think attach to the seat post. Load it up with batteries.

I made a pusher trailer last summer. Fun? Yes!... Heavy? Yes!.... Did it have to be as heavy as I made it? No. Pro's and Con's to every design.
Did I learn a metric *&^% ton, yes! Am I glad I made one, yes!
I also have a Catrike with a Bionx system on it and like that too. Again, pro's and con's.
I will make a FS Mountain bike with single and dual hub motors. I'm sure there will be pro's and con's.
I will make an Electric Motorcycle.
I will make an Electric Car.

Why do we do this? My thought is..... because we must! lol This is a journey!

Hub motors will be the easiest of installs and so will attaching a powered trailer to a bicycle.
If you do an electric project, you will grin! :) Just do it and do many! :)

Below is my trailer! A different approach, but I want the torque that this AC inverter duty motor could and does provide. :)

Tommy L sends....

I am using a 9c 500w watt motor with a 20amp controller and a 48v 15A ping battery.

At 20AMp, the motor generates about 960W (according to CA). I go at around 28-30 miles per hours on the flat or downhill. My range at 20Amp is approximatively 20 miles.

However at 10Amp, the motor generates about 500W and max speed is closer to 20 miles per hours, however the range thus extends to around 27 miles.

Those trailers would be great if i was on nice smooth tarmac for the whole 30 miles but i could see them jumping around crazily on the surfaces i go on, its a good idea though for a future build, I will be taking the jump soon and probably build over the next month and I'm going to be cycling in some horrible weather but hey it will be fun!

Ok guys sorry for the delay in replying, my 36volt 10amp battery went into meltdown, i.e. a cell or two was damaged and the battery pack is unusable at the moment. Maybe il get time to fix it soon and use as a backup battery.

In the meantime on with my 30 mile project. I have ordered the following battery from PING:

48volt 20amp ping V2.5

i also ordered the battery with the uprated 5A charger and upgraded to the high rate BMS (presumably will give me more current output and faster charging)

Next i decided to order a more powerful controller from BMS battery to replace the 250 watt controller that is currently on my bike:

the new controller is KU123 500W 12MOSFETS HIGH SPEED CONTROLLER (is this easy to wire in?, I'm not using pedal sensor)

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/364-universal-brushless-hub-motor-controller.html

Just now i am going to keep the same Bafang 250watt motor but use the 500 watt controller.

Anybody know if this will be okay and what sort of speed that i can get without burning out the motor. Its just i heard the Bafang 250 watt motors are pretty strong and can take up to 72volts and I'm only running 48volt battery, is this correct?

Anybody know if this will be a decent setup and what sort of speed and distance i could achieve?

Anybody help? Is the controller and battery going to be okay with the 250watt bafang motor. What's the benefit of a cycle analyst? Can I adjust maximum amps going to the motor?

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

BATFINK said:
Anybody help? Is the controller and battery going to be okay with the 250watt bafang motor. What's the benefit of a cycle analyst? Can I adjust maximum amps going to the motor?

I think you'll be ok as long as you manage the temperature and yes you can limit the amps with the CA. Actually, you should limit the amps, because I think with a 12 mosfet controller means you must have a 40 amp controller....? How many amps is your controller? I have 350 watt mini motor that can do more speed and further than my 9c DD, but at higher voltages and amps it does have heat issues. The amps matter a lot as that's how you can dial in your speed and distance for your trip..?

It is this controller I have ordered:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/364-universal-brushless-hub-motor-controller.html

Can the cycle analyst be wired into this easily?

BATFINK said:
Can the cycle analyst be wired into this easily?

Good question? I can't help you there every controller I have had was pre-wired for it, but I am sure it can be done. There are 6 wires coming out of mine... There is probably a post somewhere on how to do it..I will look and see if I can find a link. Either way I don't think it's easy unless you know a little bit about electronics. I recommend getting a lyen 9 fet controller as you can add more voltage to it and it comes ready for a CA. Another option would be to see if your controller has a HI-MED-Lo switch on it? This would allow you to slow down the amperage of your controller without a CA... :? :?
EDIT: Duh? There are different versions of the CA a stand alone model (which can be used with any battery setup) and a Direct Plug in CA, which you can plug into the controller (if it's wired for it). I think, but not sure that the CA stand alone doesn't allow you to control the amps, but I might be wrong. You could still get the CA stand alone and install a HI-MED-LO switch, which is possible to do...

cheers wineboy, i will have a read up on the CA options, the controller i ordered was just to get me going, I'm perfectly open to getting a lyen controller. where the best place to get it from?

From lyen, in the for sale section here. But there are others that now sell CA ready controllers.

dogman said:
From lyen, in the for sale section here. But there are others that now sell CA ready controllers.
+1 one other that comes to mind is celllman. The lyen 9fet I have would be a great fit for this setup. One other advantage of buying from known ES vendors is they can pre-program your controller for your needs. Having said that I must say I am very pleased with my 2 lyen controllers... multiple voltages (36-100v), CA compatible and so far very reliable.

The weakest part of the setup is the motor. You'll get 20 ish mph. But that controller is going to send alot of amps to a small 250w motor.
On full tilt I wouldn't be surprised if that controller let's through a good 30amp peak which at 48v means a good 1.4kw going through a 250 watt motor.

Back