5000 mah lipo or 7ah sla?

john2364

100 mW
I have an x-treme x500 scooter. It comes with 4 12v 7ah sla batteries or 48v 7ah. I may have to replace them. I do not need more range than t5he 7ah provides. Will 5000mah lipo provide a comporable run time to the 7ah sla

Yes.
But if you have space for it, run more than 5ah. Everything stays happier with more shallow cycles.

/\ What he said. I have two x360's that I picked up cheap for testbeds, and it they're any indication you'll have plenty of space for much more than 5Ah of lipo. :D

yep it has plenty of space but I really do not need the extra capacity. The scooter should get 8-10 miles on 7ah however, I only need 3 miles per charge. I am also much more interested in weight reduction than extra capacity. I should be able to shave 10-15 lbs by eliminating the sla's. The weight reduction is a big deal to me because I have to life the scooter to take it on the train. It is heavy as balls and would be much nicer if it was lighter.

Since you only need to go 3 miles, if you can find a Schwinn S650 for cheap you might want to look into that. I have one (currently sitting in FL waiting until a family member is coming up this way) that I used for a while to commute to school in HS. It's a lot smaller, lighter, better built, and better designed than even the x360's I have (I imagine the x500 is even bigger). It's actually designed to fold up, and is very easy to carry. IDK how much the x500 weighs, but for context I think the S650 weighs probably about half what my x360's weigh in addition to being much smaller. The stock batteries have kinda crap speed/range (SLAs), but there would be plenty of space in the battery compartment for probably at least 10Ah of LiPo.

I like my scooter and do not want to replace it. I got it specifically because it folds up in a way that the i-zips/schwin/currie's do not (folds all the way down rather than 1/3 of the way up the stem).

With lipo:

The good: Battery weight will be well under half of what the lead acid weighed. You will also see a performance gain from the massively reduced levels of voltage sag.

Also, lithium batteries give you ALL of the usable aH whereas in a high amp draw situation with lead acid, you only get 1/2 - 3/4 of the actual battery capacity, so 5ah might give you the same range... or maybe even more range.

The bad: you will need a balancing charger, especially with that small amount of battery capacity. It will need to be balance charged often as the cells will get out of wack at the bottom of their charge ( which they will be at often, it sounds like. )

You will have to break apart the pack to balance it each time. Although i think a new hyperion charger that does 14s can help you get around that. To be at the stock voltage, you'll need a 13s pack, so that would be ideal.

so in essence, more charging hassle than lead acid for sure.. but massively reduced weight and improved performance.

*shrugs* Whatever floats your boat, not trying to convert anyone. :D I just find the 'folding' system for my x360's rather cumbersome is all.

Might look at the 5800 mah lipo.

5800 is leaps and bounds more expensive than 5000. I can simply not justify the price for an additional 800 mah.

x88x said:
*shrugs* Whatever floats your boat, not trying to convert anyone. :D I just find the 'folding' system for my x360's rather cumbersome is all.

That is cool. The x360 is quite different than the x500. I did not even know that the x360 had any folding mechanism. The x500 is basically the exacy same as the bladez450. The fold joint is right where the handle bar and board intersect.

Keep an eye on that folding mechanism. I have had an x-500 for about 3 years now. The mechanism WILL loosen up with use. This makes your steering a bit dicey. The x-500 was my first electric vehicle. It was/is a constant maintenance nightmare. When you get tired of the headaches, buy the "super turbo 800 watt elite 36V" scooter. Much better quality. No maintenance. Folding deck for easy access to battery compartment. Can't say that I'd recommend either one for getting on/off a bus. Even with lipo, these will be heavy and cumbersome to lift.

john2364 said:
x88x said:

That is cool. The x360 is quite different than the x500. I did not even know that the x360 had any folding mechanism. The x500 is basically the exacy same as the bladez450. The fold joint is right where the handle bar and board intersect.
lol, yeah, the x360 doesn't really have a folding mechanism (thus the quotes), that's what makes it so cumbersome. :p The handlebars and seat just kinda pop out and the handlebars are tied to the frame by the control wires. I checked out some pictures of the x500 and yeah, it looks like a completely different design. I was assuming it was just a bigger version of the x360.

Back