8fun (bafang ?)

pwave said:
ok well for now i don't want to spend the money on a new battery what is the best controller that will work on 36v and also on 48v if i decide to upgrade later i need at least 20A since that is the max my battery could give.
and could i use a voltage convector on to battery that to lest say something like 50v ?

The only sensible practical way to get the speed you are looking for is to use a 48 V battery, or add a 12V battery in series with your existing battery. Changing your controller will not help. Your top speed is limited by voltage, not current, so increasing current changes nothing. If you presently have 27 kph at 36 volts, 48 volts will give you 36 kph.

hm...not really if i understand whats your problem :D

i dont know your controller....but the motor has no Problem with 48v
my old 36v Controller had no Problem with 48v too....but all at your own risk. :wink:

You could try getting bigger wheels on your bike. 20" is pretty small and unlike direct drive motors the geared drive motor isn't effected by having a large wheel for the most part.
If you go to http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/ with just default setup and first choose 20" wheel you get 28km/h then change only to 700c wheel and you get 38km/h which is a speed increase by 35%.

Unless you got a really freaky frame your unlikely to be able to do a wheel upgrade of that size but anything helps.

27.8 kph or 17.27 mph on 20" at 36v

Battery:
Voltage:
36 v
Presume Nominal

Capacity:
10 ah
Maximum - sounds like 2C LiFePo4 or LiPo eBike Style

Maximum Continuous Discharge:
20 A
Is this Maximum or Continuous Discharge, do you have a pulse rating?

1.) What battery Chemistry?
2.) 2C Discharge Constant or Burst? If Burst Time Constant if Nominal or Constant - maximum burst, 2.5C?
3.)

Stock Controller:
Voltage:
36v
Maximum Current:
14A Peak
Nominal Current:
7A Constant

Is this measured or is this advertised specs on the controller?

At 17.27 mph (27.8 kph) on a 20" your 20" wheel is spinning at:

17.27 * 336 = 5,802.72 / 20 = 290.136 RPM

To achieve your requested speeds you need more than just current, upping the current may bump you 3-4 kph but no more and past a very SMALL point you will being to over saturate that 250w.

The RPM you want to achieve while riding is:

35 kph or 22 mph

22 * 336 = 7,392 / 20 = 369.6 RPM required at rear wheel

Current nominal voltage (presuming LiFePo4 or eBike Lipo 10AH since it seems 2C discharge) 36v and loaded speed achieved 17.27 mph so reverse calculate the loaded kV:

290.136 / 36 = 8.0593 kV

369.6 / 8.0593 = 45.8601 v nominal so 44.4 would do the trick or even a booster pack in series of 10AH (2P 5AH each) 2S packs 20C would do the trick depending on the pack chemistry you have now.

Hope this helps!

PS: I would push the current no more than perhaps 20A Primary and 25/30A phase current on that motor and check the temp… the volt up should help a lot..

-Mike

PPS: I deal almost exclusively in 20" folding bikes here, on the train - no what you mean !

Back