A full suspension Tadpole Trike (from Peshawar, Pakistan)

Kurt said:
A small tip,
In the video I didn't see you use any lubrication on your tap.
If you don't have access to the correct tapping lubrication. Even engine grease or cooking grease soap anything is better than nothing.
I am enjoying your build progress and it will be great to see the finished trike. Some times I wish I had suspension on my own trike.
kurt.

Thanks Kurt for the advice; I have lubrication an oil bottle which I missed during the video but I was pronouncing and looking here and there for oil but I couldn't find it then. You are correct about lubrication while using tap for making threads.
It is my pleasure to amuse you with my work. I would say that the beauty is in the eyes of beholder. Suspension is a must as I'm living in such part of the world where roads are broken and there are yet larger issue to address to like poverty, unemployment, law and order and above all terrorism.
Respectfully Yours; Naeem

rear steering is dynamically unstable - OK for a stacker truck.....
And yet the land speed record is held by a rear steered car (thrustSSC) - go figure...
How do folk control tilting trikes - do they link the tilt to the steering angle? Seems fairly logical, you could make it "right" at the design speed??

bobc said:
rear steering is dynamically unstable - OK for a stacker truck..... And yet the land speed record is held by a rear steered car (thrustSSC) - go figure...
Still, there are quite a few examples of rear steered trikes. The Velayo velomobile comes to mind: http://www.fortschritt-fahrzeugbau.de/index.htm

[youtube]89kHs-XHSvk[/youtube]

numberonebikeslover said:
Just a query; Do we have ladies in this forum?
Definitely; I can think of three for sure right off teh top of my head (and my memory is terrible, so that should say something about the percentages :lol: )

Well, actually, I only know that they're female; as to whether they're ladies or not.... :p

It is good to know that Ladies are there. In Urdu language (National Language of Pakistan) it is said that (Translation in English) The world is colourful due to Female.

To improve my model it is essential to keep the caster angle to about 12 degree for that I wanted to ask for suggestions; as for now what I have made (pics attached) can't be amended it is only that I have to rebuild it which is quite a lot of work so I've thought of another way around. I can bend the main backbone of the trike to achieve the required caster angle. Hows that? Will it suffice my need? It is only that Arms that hold the kingpin will also work in the same trajectory and angle. (See the pic for details)
Naeem

Attachments

• Slides2.jpg
    Slides2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 715
  • Bent Main Backbone.jpg
    Bent Main Backbone.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,729
Hi Naeem;
Once again, I am enjoying your innovative construction. I guess you have to balance the strength of the trike with the road conditions and expected load? Try to go as light as practical, as weight needs power to lift it up hills. Trim off the extra meat around the ears of your tabs? Some plastic bottles make good thrust washers for suspension.

numberonebikeslover said:
It is good to know that Ladies are there. In Urdu language (National Language of Pakistan) it is said that (Translation in English) The world is colourful due to Female.

To improve my model it is essential to keep the caster angle to about 12 degree for that I wanted to ask for suggestions; as for now what I have made (pics attached) can't be amended it is only that I have to rebuild it which is quite a lot of work so I've thought of another way around. I can bend the main backbone of the trike to achieve the required caster angle. Hows that? Will it suffice my need? It is only that Arms that hold the kingpin will also work in the same trajectory and angle. (See the pic for details)
Naeem

Hi Naneem nice work yes that will work, thats how i did my second frame build but i used 15 degrees works well.

Do a model of the lower and upper arms first attach to the steering tube and frame using card boards with 4 pivot points, one has to be shorter than the other , if you find the correct length ratio between the upper and the lower arms this will allow a small amount of change in degrees toward negative camber during suspension for more stable ride. You don't want positive camber during suspension. Also you want the tire to be 90 degrees with respect to the ground plane when no load is applied to the trike.

Zenon

You don't want positive camber during suspension. Also you want the tire to be 90 degrees with respect to the ground plane when no load is applied to the trike.Zenon

Thank you very much for your useful comments which guide me to the right direction. I was holding my self from further work till I get some feedback.
Please see the following diagram, what I have observed and understand. There ain't gona be any change in camber during suspension. What do you say?

Thank you very much for your precious time you have taken to respond.
Looking forward for your guidance in the future.
Respectfully Yours
Naeem

Attachments

• Camber remains the same.jpg
    Camber remains the same.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,648
It can be a tilting trike see the pictures below. Thanks to every one of you for your guidance and support; increasing two of every arm did the trick. The king pin is inclined at an angle to target the point where the wheel is supposed to touch the ground.
Yours Respectfully
Naeem

Attachments

• Camber Caster angle Tilting.jpg
    Camber Caster angle Tilting.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 715
Hello everybody;

bought some stuff for lacing the front wheels. Things are getting pretty expensive these days. I bought all the following stuff for Rs. 1560 equals about USD 18.14

1) Two Hubs with 36 holes each.
2) 72 Spokes
3) Two tires.
4) Two Rims.
5) Two tubes (for tires).

See the pics

I Thought if I make a video of lacing a wheel might help others understand how to lace a wheel.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27GLFyyXhg [/youtube]

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

Attachments

• Img00004.jpg
    Img00004.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,599
Hi guys;
I have a good news and a bad news:
Good news is that tilting works alongwith the suspension and surprisingly well, both tilt and suspension.
The bad news is that I accidentally hit my hand with 3 kg hammer during my work and it hurts bad, and thats why I did not take pictures yet. I am going to the hospital for X-ray. I hope it is not a fracture or I will lose a lot of precious time of my life waiting for it to heal. Oh God help me. Wish me luck guys.
Respectfully
Naeem

Good luck, get well soon!

TopCat said:
Tadpole trike builder - Yes.
Wheel rim/hub lacer - Yes.
Pop singer - No.
Stick to bike building Naeem, get well soon. :wink:

Regards
Tom

Naeem,

This is a reference to the late Michael Jackson. He wore a glove on one hand. :wink:

Just figured you would like a bit of information about that joke. :mrgreen:

I hope you are feeling better.

Matt

Hi Naeem,
Your project is looking good.
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope its a minor setback. :(

Zenon

Even though my hand hurts but I couldn't wast time. After my time at office I balanced both the wheels and cut the main back bone of the trike to produce caster angle at 15 degrees. Due to frequent power cuts of Electric power most of the time my work is delayed which is very annoying at times.

Yesterday I could not post the pictures so here they are.
Naeem.

Attachments

• Img00014.jpg
    Img00014.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 704
Hi Naeem,

I was wondering how you were going to keep the wheels upright and not tilt when riding in a straight line but I see now that you have a loaded spring that will keep the wheels upright.

Best of luck with the build and I hope that hand heals soon.

Regards
Tom

That is a very Innovative front subframe layout. I will be interested to hear how it works out.

Also, when you apply the brakes (the front wheels will have brakes, right?), you are going to put a lot a fore-aft stress on that front subframe, so you will want to add some triangulating tie rods from the ends of the suspension back to the frame a couple feet behind the front suspension. You may have already thought about that.

-Warren.

Hello everyone;

I was restricted to bed again due to another accident, as I fell off the stairs of my office. I don't know what is happening with me these days. I am coming across so many accidents which is keeping me from my work. Any way I did not do any thing practically but my mind is a great workshop in which I do great drawings by imagining things.

I have came across a surprising setup for tilting and steering. A setup in which the trike will tilt automatically as I steer. I couldn't do anything practical but I hope I get better soon to work on the idea. I will try to picture it through words:
as we steer there is a change in the position of arm fixed on king-pin. The movement of this arm can help to come in coordination with the an erect piece fixed on the frame to tilt it. I have tried but I don't have a way to draw the same in MS paint. Just let me get better.

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

Back