ahh camper bike

davec

1 kW
this is the life- perfect for a cross country trip. park anywhere and take naps when you get tired or take a break if it starts raining
now how much extra wh/ per miles you need to carry this drag is another matter

camper2.jpg

Attachments

• camperbike1.jpg
    camperbike1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,436
I've long suspected photoshop on the trike pic. Because the cab over sleeping berth would be less than 4 feet long.

The bike trailer camper is not a joke, but obviously you would not be traveling 80 miles a day hauling that.

But if on the other hand, each haul was more like 5 miles, and you only moved weekly. That could work. Also quite possible to haul the entire rig to a starting point by truck or car trailer.

No, they're deadset serious.

Seen this? http://www.widepathcamper.com/wide-path-camper.html

Featured on BBC: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150610-wide-path-camper-is-caravan-for-the-cycling-set

Imagine the wind barrier on that thing. How much power will it take just to keep that trailer going? I am sure trailer is light weight, but wind resistance will be very high. If you fancy this type of camping, better look towards "combi camp" or similar options. Or better yet. Build your own folding trailer that folds down and in to reduce drag while biking. Use a "air fill tent" and a little compressor to fill up and raise the tent when parked on camp ground. You could have solid flooring and soft beds and also flooring for a "common area" that folds on top of the air filled tent.

Roof and walls would be of tent material, lightweight but waterproof. There would be several rubber hoses that you fill air to erect the tent on top of the fold out camper trailer. A combination of these two would be perfect. Use light weight material like Carbon Fiber or similar. The more "soap/wedge" shape you can design for the trailer the easier it will on the battery because of low wind resistance. But if you really need a little more reach I guess you could also put batteries on the bottom of the trailer, or even add a motor on the trailer having the trailer push forwards up hills etc.

Combi camp:

[youtube]6HGZXegBGEE[/youtube]

Air erecting tent:

[youtube]u0c51zHdNag[/youtube]

Or simply get you one of these, and buy yourself an inflatable tent with great comfort, and streamline your camping gear to fit the trailer. You could easily fit sleepingbags and air erect tent + camping kitchen for two people on that thing.
VOnB0le.jpg

I like the idea of a bike camper that uses the hi lo technology. So it would be maybe 2.5 feet tall, yet pop up to as much as 5' tall.

But again, using it would not be so good to go across the USA, covering 80 miles a day. But it might be a great thing for a shorter distance tour. Like set up on a different beach on the gulf coast daily, maybe a 10-20 mile move per day.

I'd want regular trailer tires on it, fat enough to roll a few feet of beach sand by hand easily. Also to get it as low as possible to the ground.

AF7JA said:
But in many places in the USA it is illegal to erect a tent; while a trailer is tolerated.

When is a tent a tent really? And when is it not?
Is it a tent if it is erected on top of a trailer?
I would think you would get away with it because it has wheels just like a trailer.

macribs said:
AF7JA said:
But in many places in the USA it is illegal to erect a tent; while a trailer is tolerated.

When is a tent a tent really? And when is it not?
Is it a tent if it is erected on top of a trailer?
I would think you would get away with it because it has wheels just like a trailer.

Good question.

In another time I came real close to buying one of these.
Wonder if I could bike across the southern states, east to west, in one?

Kamp-Rite Midget Bushtrekka

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That is cool, but it's still a tent. Maybe not legally, but I meant a raccoon can be in it in 10 seconds, a windy night will make it flap like mad keeping you awake, etc.

In any case, way too much to haul on a serious long distance cruise through the desert out west. More adaptable once you get to East Texas and distance from town to town is less. I'm just saying pulling that thing 80 miles between towns out west will be a bear. Carrying 2 days worth of water a bit much too.

My dream remains, cross the continent ride carrying a change of clothes, tire repair stuff, and a credit card for the motel. I tried carrying camping gear. That was no problem. Sleeping in a tent though, I guess I'm just aged out of that stuff. Wrecked back, two wrecked shoulders, I just get no sleep on a thin sleeping pad or air mattress. I wake up feeling like somebody beat my shoulders all night.

dogman dan said:
That is cool, but it's still a tent. Maybe not legally, but I meant a raccoon can be in it in 10 seconds, a windy night will make it flap like mad keeping you awake, etc.

My dream remains, cross the continent ride carrying a change of clothes, tire repair stuff, and a credit card for the motel. I tried carrying camping gear. That was no problem. Sleeping in a tent though, I guess I'm just aged out of that stuff. Wrecked back, two wrecked shoulders, I just get no sleep on a thin sleeping pad or air mattress. I wake up feeling like somebody beat my shoulders all night.

If you got rubber "poles" or air filled "poles" that will keep the tent pulled tight and it should not be unbearable to sleep in, if if there is mild wind. In general I would say a raccoon is more afraid of you then the other way around. I am pretty sure you will sleep in peace in a tent-trailer.

if you make yourself a combi camp hybrid you can have solid flooring and comfy mattress/bed. The less wind the trailer catches the more water, storage and batteries you can fit.

E-bike tour with a credit card for motels sounds like a perfect way to see the country. East to west and north to south. One small bag for change of clothes and not much more to carry. :)

Just go slow and you're okay as long as there isn't a headwind. The wind here is reliable much of the time, so time riding around land and see breezes. The trike is definitely real, and the bed is obviously not across the width. I'd cover the roof of any of those rigs with solar panels.

There are mini trailers with motors and batteries. Why not use the same application to any one of the preceding trailers? There would be room for a lot of batteries and add a hub to one or more of the wheels.

Definitely, making a bike camper into pusher a good idea. At least make it haul most of it's weight, if riding a pusher sounds awkward. Have it push enough to feel like it's barely there. Regen braking on it worth it's weight in lithium too I bet.

Now that I think about it, it would be possible to make that trike camper a sleeper. At first glance I thought how? Too narrow, and the bottom part too short. But still possible, as you open the door, you'd see a bed lengthwise right in your face, and perhaps as small as 16" wide you can actually stand up in. Under the bed, stove, sink, etc. Now I see how it could be done.

Every time I think about it, making one home made, I come back to the same kind of idea. a low trailer with a bed in it, and a pop up section for the head area so you can at least sit up inside. The section that does not pop up has a sort of chuck wagon in it, above your feet as you lie in the trailer. open a hatch, there is a small cooler, and a stove. Very minimal, but no flapping tent. Perhaps no pop up needed, just make the thing about 3' tall. Change clothes lying down, as you do in small tents anyway.

I'm also eyeballing my Schwinn trike, Hmm, lengthen it to have a 6" long box on it. Trike with a coffin to sleep in? Hmmm. Two more support wheels that are giant casters? Hmmm.

Some places a tent is fine, but here out west in the spring winds, or summer during the thunderstorms, you'll regret a tent. Many of the western camp grounds are also heavily skunk and raccoon infested. Ever wake up with a skunk sitting on your chest staring you down? Real fun.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59444&hilit=tiny+homes

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64586&p=1022396&hilit=camper#p1022396

rider95 said:
You know E bikes have limts

Here in Texas, unfortunately the limit is 100 lbs. That means no e-pedicabs, e-delivery trikes, e-vending trikes, etc., at least not within the definition of an e-bike. Campers are almost certainly out.

Funky law if Texas prohibits a bike from towing a trailer, just because its an e bike. I could see how a one piece e trike camper would be illegal though.

The weight limit for e bike is just as dumb as watt limits. Limit speeds sure, and post speed limits for multi use trails.

dogman dan said:
Funky law if Texas prohibits a bike from towing a trailer, just because its an e bike. I could see how a one piece e trike camper would be illegal though.

The weight limit for e bike is just as dumb as watt limits. Limit speeds sure, and post speed limits for multi use trails.

I don't think there are state law limits on cycle trailers. That's the sort of thing a peckerwood cop would just invent on the spot.

Yes, I think the weight limit is dumb. Maybe if people were making three wheeled e-cars and calling them e-bikes, a limit would be warranted. But I don't think there's any good reason to prohibit pedicabs from enjoying e-bike status.

At least in Texas, we don't have a power limit. There isn't even a speed limit as long as the rider is contributing some of the power. There is only a speed limit when motor power is used by itself.

I'm not sure the lege thought through the implications of these things. Thinking isn't really their strong suit.

Definitely possible for a 99 pound bike to pull a heavy trailer though. 8) Pedicab that's really a trailer here we come.

But yeah, at some point a huge trike or bike does get to a point that's hard to argue it's "just a bike". But lots of good safe cargo bikes can weigh over 100 pounds without cargo, let alone pedicabs. Definitely they used a very limited view of what is a bike, picturing only one rider, no cargo.

I just find it sad that Texas has so little wild wild west left in it.

When I mentioned limit speeds, I meant speed limits on multi use paths, to keep 30mph bike riders and baby carriages separated.

Back