am i shafted with some fake steel nickel strips?

I am making a 14s8p battery with copper tracks welded onto nickel strips which will be spot welded onto the batteries. My nickel strips are .1mm x 8mm, and every battery has a single strip that transfers onto a central copper wire.

Unfortunately, the test on the nickel, using HCl is showing rust, i dipped it 10 minutes in HCl and left it to on a shelf. it has gone rusty and clearly looks like steel.

previously, every 8 batteries had 8 "nickel connectors" which could transport about 8 times 5 amps, so 40 ampers maximum, as far as i was aware...

I think i have to revise that to 8 times 2 = 16 amps safely.

Please check that my maths is right and that i am indeed shafted if i use the fake nickel strips.

yes, you got shafted.

this is the current (pun intended) bible for strip ratings:

file.php

i am currently testing from this seller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-18650-battery-nickel-strip-0-3mm-nickel-plate-18650-26650-cell-nickel-belt-Lithium/2050756060.html

should be good as more people get theirs from that store but ai am checking anyway. will report back in 24h about this.

Pure nickel will never rust. In addition to salt water testing the nickel plated steel, pure nickel is also more flexible than nickel plated steel. Pure nickel will also require more welding current and will often times result in electrode sticking.

report on the above mentioned nickel strip seller: it's pure nickel. the cheap crap i got before is all rusting to hell.

What you got was NPS strip - nickel plated steel - commonly used for shielding material and cheap as chips.

Okay, I tried a different ebay store with awesome prices, i tested it with HCL and vinegar, it makes a micron thin white oxide layer, no red oxide, This is not the same as some nickel plating i had previously, so i think i have an Alloy, perhaps Aluminium alloy because of the white oxide... I have wieghed it.

10x10x0.2mm is 2cm3 of metal...

it should weigh 19.2 grams.

It actually weighs 14.0 grams.

So i have some kind of Nickel alloy probably. Else it is 1.5mm, my caliper is not precise and i just flipped the handle into my eye from holding the pincer very tight and scraped my cornea. I spilt the ghirkin jar in the fridge and i am typing with one eye closed 40 minutes after.

I haven't tried spot welding it. 8)

If it were mostly Alu, it would weigh 5.4 grams for 2cm3... So interesting deal online there, i will try to measure it's resistance and stuff somehow, i have cheap measurement kit :evil: :wink:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/381702799962?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650762080893&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

zzoing said:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/381702799962?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650762080893&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

eBay said:
Haute pureté 99.9% pure zinc zn

I'm not a native French speaker, but I would translate that item as Zinc. :wink:

zzoing said:
sorry i was typing after having flipped a bar of carbon fiber into my eyeball from the caliper

I believe it is the official position of endless sphere that you do not do that.

Back