Anyone else here feel guilty?

No, but with 200W (no speed limit - Au legal) and a loaded trailer I am not setting any speed records. On electrical power only it barely reaches 25kph, I cruise at 28-32kph with cut-off just below my cruising pace and generally don't exceed 35kph by much because of the trailer. At that power electrical is only a little more than compensating for the added weight and drag.

Negative comments... just wave and wish them a nice day.

The guilt keeps me up at night, I think of all the pedestrians and cyclists I pass, using my ebike privilege. Ever since I thought about their long boring walks and rides compared to mine, the ebike isn't the same for me. :confused:

in my view
everything is ok as long as you pedal
once you ride for even 5 minutes with no legs moving perception of you completely changes in peoples mind.
it does not matter what is mounted on my ebike as long as I pedal.

spinningmagnets said:
Thanks. I'm glad I gave someone a chuckle. I'd like to think I've been a fairly nice person to those around me, but "feeling guilty" is based on caring about what other people think about me.

I think I used to care about what other people thought about me, but one day, I tried to pay my bills with their opinion...and now my "give a damn" is busted.

Ah! I was right about guilt being a form of schizophrenia, because It is a small step from ‘I wonder what they think about me’ and ´I know they hate me’. :D

Stop that right now. You are not guilty of anything, and other people thoughts have very little to bother about you. When you are a rider, you have a lot to care for and to be aware of. There is no room for feelings, yours or others. The only feeling that is making you a better rider, is rhythm.

I usually run slower speed around cyclists because they are the ones who will become big whiners about guys on fast ebikes and cause friction. It's only to help limit future legal liability.

I don't feel guilty at all though; i'm not cheating, i'm riding. I always pedal and get a workout while the motor is getting a workout. I have no hangups about what i ride. Especially when the next alternative is a car.

Yeah some hills will give you a great workout on a customized ebike.
I change my route depending on if I want a real good workout or not.
There are still some hills I don't go up because there is not a long enough run-up.

I can tell who's electric and most of the time from a frontal vantage, judging on speed, leg movement and terrain.
I can tell most of the time and I am always looking at who else is electric.
Not many diy'ers out there, mostly all store bought.
Should be lots of those store boughts for sale with a bad battery in the next few years because they can't buy a replacement battery or that replacement battery is to expensive.

No.
This week I'm riding in South Kingstown Rhode Island
Smooth, flat, 2 lane shoreline country roads, little daytime traffic, lots of Bicyclists
Often I'm going right down the middle, fast, the wind rush past my ears drowns out any comments.
Yee Haw, see you later :lol:
Seaweed_Cove_2021.JPG

Looks like a nice place to ride. Which motor is that on your bike?

Stealth_Chopper said:
No.
This week I'm riding in South Kingstown Rhode Island
Smooth, flat, 2 lane shoreline country roads, little daytime traffic, lots of Bicyclists
Often I'm going right down the middle, fast, the wind rush past my ears drowns out any comments.
Yee Haw, see you later :lol:

Everybody seems to find the need to be outraged about something these days. Their little tender emotions over insignificant things like me riding an ebike mean nothing to me. I hope they toss and turn all night and get an ulcer...LOL!

And on a serious note, I behave on my ebike like I try to do every day of my life on all things big and small...and I don't do too badly I believe. Just let 'em stew in their own juices, as they say. :lol:

markz said:
Yeah some hills will give you a great workout on a customized ebike.
I change my route depending on if I want a real good workout or not.
There are still some hills I don't go up because there is not a long enough run-up.

I can tell who's electric and most of the time from a frontal vantage, judging on speed, leg movement and terrain.
I can tell most of the time and I am always looking at who else is electric.
Not many diy'ers out there, mostly all store bought.
Should be lots of those store boughts for sale with a bad battery in the next few years because they can't buy a replacement battery or that replacement battery is to expensive.
I feel much less guilty since Calgary allowed ebikes on pathways.
of course I always try to figure out who is on ebike.
speed is often not an indicator - many lycras are faster than average store bought ebike.

This summer I ride a scooter and still not feeling guilty. Riders are riders no matter the ride, and a rider must not feel guilty to ride unless he’s riding on someone else’s feet, flowers or food. :D

raylo, I go with Conan the Barbarian's line of thinking as far as feeling guilty riding my emtb on the trail...

Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.May 14, 1982

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The only time I feel guilty is when I’m going uphill and I see an older gentleman or lady trying so hard and going so slow lol. Sometimes I offer to give them a tow but they normally just laugh

I seen an ebiker on the Greenway several months back and he had some cookie cutter ebike. He was very big on not having a throttle lol. He asked me do you have a throttle? my reply was it goes 50 mph :lol: :lol:

Road with a bike group and disclosed it was an E-trike to the organizer. Wanted to check the attitudes toward this. He asked if I could pull another bike. I told him yes, that I carry a tow strap. Don't know if he was serious, need to ask him.

I have not pulled anyone, worry that they would be pulled over and hurt. Next ride could hang back at the end to make sure everyone makes it. Maybe a plus for E-bikes.

Anyone ever pull another biker? 8)

You could give 'em a "pull" in the paceline but I don't thing a tow rope would be advisable.

ZeroEm said:
Road with a bike group and disclosed it was an E-trike to the organizer. Wanted to check the attitudes toward this. He asked if I could pull another bike. I told him yes, that I carry a tow strap. Don't know if he was serious, need to ask him.

I have not pulled anyone, worry that they would be pulled over and hurt. Next ride could hang back at the end to make sure everyone makes it. Maybe a plus for E-bikes.

I carry the tow rope not to tow others it is for me if I would need to walk my trike, it is so low that you would need to bend over. I figured I would tie it to the back rack and over my shoulder and pull it backwards.

ZeroEm said:

I towed many times (uphill dirt trails) with a tow rope. Rider being towed must have minimal riding skills to avoid getting hurt.
Unsurprisingly, expect twice the consumption from the battery and twice the heat to the motor.

Avner.

Being a lycra guy and stronger when I was younger I'd occasionally push struggling riders... even a tandem or 2... up hills. Sometimes just a good hard shove over the top or sometimes easier gentle longer pushes. Just pedal into it and place your hand on the lower middle back of the other rider. No one I pushed ever had any difficulty or unsteadiness. Could easily duplicate that with a 2 wheel e-bike, especially one with a torque sensor that would adjust to the effort. Wouldn't work for trikes, obviously.

Paint the front hub black and your good to go!
:thumb:
Either way the bike looks good, just I'd probably cook that motor on my first ride.

Push on the slower riders hip,.. is the safest way providing you are a competant rider ..(watch for pedal and bars contacting.)
I frequently do this for my wife on steeper hills where a mid drive in low gear can really ease the pain!
Alternatively , if the slow rider is experienced enough, their hand on the shoulder of the “tow” is also much safer than any tow system.

docw009 said:
I might feel a little guilty if I was mingling with the common people on a $4000 Riese amd Muller machine, but not when I'm trundling along on my latest build, with used motor/battery on a Walmart bike.

cruiser-4.JPG

I know that motor! I just threw 24 weird seven-sided nuts into the steel recycling bucket last night. Building low cost e-bike conversions for friends has become a time consuming pursuit. I've been relacing them to different rims lately even when the bike uses 26", both to get a decent rim brake surface and to use thinner better spokes.

I'm tempted to build one of those motors up for myself, though like markz, I am in the super heavyweight category and I might overtax it. I've been thinking maybe a two wheel drive 20" kick scooter.

I grabbed a couple of these for variety:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373678539039
s-l400.jpg

They're the earlier, recalled Jump bike wheels set up for Shimano roller brakes. To my surprise, they have a smaller, lighter hub that probably works fine with Jump bike 250W nominal, but will likely object to power levels that the BCH/JAG35 hubs would tolerate.

How many see diy ebikes in their area?

I saw my first one in a long time today, a nice steel cased battery inside the triangle on a red bike in the bike lane.

Back