ASI BAC 500 help, throttle

edavee

10 µW
One for the ASI experts…

I have a ASI BAC 500 running an Ezee hub motor. It works fine with pedal assist. On the throttle from a dead stop it will sometimes react and go, and sometimes it will do nothing for up to 5-6 seconds, then go. Tried a different throttle, looked at the throttle low and high voltage and dead band in bac door, and it seems ok. If the bike is already rolling the throttle always works immediately.
Is it just me, or is the bac door software really hard to understand???

No, it's not just you. Ebikes.ca made their own software to setup the *runner series of controllers that are based on the ASI designs, to help with this problem. I don't know if it would work on an actual ASI.

Did your system ever work correctly? If so, what happened between the time it worked, and the time it did not?

If it never worked correctly, and the system is still in the process of being setup for the first time, then it is probably a motor configuration issue (the motor must be correctly setup for all of it's characteristics in an FOC controller, or the controller won't know how to drive it properly, and may send current flows at the wrong times and cause all sorts of issues, including damaging the controller).

If it always works while rolling this is why PAS works (because you're already moving from the pedalling by the time the motor is commanded to start). This kind of problem is often because of the controller sending wrong currents to teh motor to start it up because it doesn't know "where" the motor is, what position the magnets are relative to the windings, or doesn't have the right inductance, resistance, etc of the motor, so that it sends currents incorrectly either by amount or by timing.

If this is the problem, then setting up the motor characteristics may fix it. If those are already set correctly, there are feedback / timing loops that need to be tuned for the system specifics, that may fix it.

Since the *runner series of controllers is based on ASI, you may find useful info in the various *runner troubleshooting threads, or on ebikes.ca in their pages for that.

No, it's not just you. Ebikes.ca made their own software to setup the *runner series of controllers that are based on the ASI designs, to help with this problem. I don't know if it would work on an actual ASI.

Did your system ever work correctly? If so, what happened between the time it worked, and the time it did not?

If it never worked correctly, and the system is still in the process of being setup for the first time, then it is probably a motor configuration issue (the motor must be correctly setup for all of it's characteristics in an FOC controller, or the controller won't know how to drive it properly, and may send current flows at the wrong times and cause all sorts of issues, including damaging the controller).

If it always works while rolling this is why PAS works (because you're already moving from the pedalling by the time the motor is commanded to start). This kind of problem is often because of the controller sending wrong currents to teh motor to start it up because it doesn't know "where" the motor is, what position the magnets are relative to the windings, or doesn't have the right inductance, resistance, etc of the motor, so that it sends currents incorrectly either by amount or by timing.

If this is the problem, then setting up the motor characteristics may fix it. If those are already set correctly, there are feedback / timing loops that need to be tuned for the system specifics, that may fix it.

Since the *runner series of controllers is based on ASI, you may find useful info in the various *runner troubleshooting threads, or on ebikes.ca in their pages for that.
Thanks for the suggestions. The bike is a model that I sell, so the controller is factory programmed, I had to replace the controller as the original stopped working.
The other bikes with the same setup don't do this, so it's a bit of a mystery. I could try running an autotune, but I can't figure out how to do that...

If I understand correctly, that means that this controller has not yet been setup at all? Is just at whatever defaults ASI puts into it?

I would download the configuration from another identical controller on an identical working system, and upload that into this nonworking system.

First backup the configuration of *this* controller to a file, though, just in case. ;)

If I understand correctly, that means that this controller has not yet been setup at all? Is just at whatever defaults ASI puts into it?

I would download the configuration from another identical controller on an identical working system, and upload that into this nonworking system.

First backup the configuration of *this* controller to a file, though, just in case. ;)
The spares come pre programmed, but that's a good point, I could upload from a good working bike, and load it into this one.

Let us know how it goes.

Also...are you (ecat) the same as the op (edavee)? If so, it would be best if you can pick which account you prefer so they can be merged together into that one, to save on confusion.

Back