Bafang M500/M600 thread

Oh interesting fact. I rode with a Giant ebike the other day, and they have the Yamaha motor. It is 'at least' as loud as the M600. M600 must be spinning faster internally it's higher pitch but the Yamaha was certainly not quiet. Compared to the Yamaha and the M600 you couldn't even tell the M500 was on..

So I'm no longer worried about the sound..

It is 'at least' as loud as the M600. M600 must be spinning faster internally it's higher pitch but the Yamaha was certainly not quiet.

In fact, we own both a Giant Full-e, and an M600 V2. I think you have pinned it pretty accurately. When my spouse comes up behind me on the Giant, I can hear her coming. When we are abreast travelling at the same speed, I can hear the Giant more than I hear my own. I thought it was because she was being lazy and had the power pegged to max, but she insists not.

What I really like about the Yamaha is the instant assist you get when you put pressure on the pedal, whereas with Bosch there is a lag until you have crank rotation. This is significant if you are trying to remount from a standstill on a very steep mountain track.The M600 seems to be closer to the Yamaha in this respect.

JBC said:
Hello,

Did anyone change the "silent gear"?

It makes sense? Is the engine really quieter?

Yes, it's definitely quieter. You can still hear it but it's a far more pleasant tone. Sounds like a low pitched flute instead of a cat moaning on a fence.

I have a Yamaha PW and it's definitely quieter than the stock M600 ever was. I've read that the newer generation Yamaha are noisier. I let my sanity decide as far as noise, not because another motor is noisier, sounds like stocholm sndrome. :D On the X1 it may be amplified due to the carbon frame. I think Kepler referred to the silent gear as a life altering experience.

As far as torque sensing. I think Luna did something to the M600 tuning that makes the torque sensing substandard a low PAS. I suspect they tuned it for the Ludi controller and f-ed up the non-ludi M600 in the process. Or they gave me ludi programming by mistake. As noted earlier, on my X1 the torque sensing is awful in PAS 1-2. It's only usable on a steep hill where you are putting constant pressure on the pedals, but even then it will cut out mid cadence unless you are diligent. On flats it's almost unusable. I'd almost rather ride without PAS on flats (vs PAS 1 or 2) because at least you aren't fighting annoying bursts of on and off. I only ride in PAS 3+ on my X1 because they seem to use a different torque sensing recipe (I suspect it's the standard M600 tuning). Honestly, my Yamaha PW runs circles around the Luna tuned M600 at low PAS. The Yamaha torque sensing is smooth and usable at ALL PAS. I can actually get a pleasant workout on the Yamaha if I want. But I'm still happy with my X1 because I got it to ride abandoned fire roads on hiking approaches so I'm wanting to ride in PAS 3+ to conserve my energy for the hike.

Tom said:
JBC said:
Hello,

Did anyone change the "silent gear"?

It makes sense? Is the engine really quieter?

Yes, it's definitely quieter. You can still hear it but it's a far more pleasant tone. Sounds like a low pitched flute instead of a cat moaning on a fence.

Is anyone from the Luna cycle here?

I wrote them a question about a silent gear some time ago and still no answer ...

Hello everyone.
I have recently assembled three Dengfu E05 frames with Bafang M600 motors purchased from CNE Bikes.
I confirm that the motors are not smooth and have excessive battery drain.
After some complaints to the supplier, I was sent a firmware dated August 6 and surprise, with this the motor is smoother, more powerful and consumes less battery.
Of course I have the BESST programmer without which updates cannot be made.

CiDi said:
Hello everyone.
I have recently assembled three Dengfu E05 frames with Bafang M600 motors purchased from CNE Bikes.
I confirm that the motors are not smooth and have excessive battery drain.
After some complaints to the supplier, I was sent a firmware dated August 6 and surprise, with this the motor is smoother, more powerful and consumes less battery.
Of course I have the BESST programmer without which updates cannot be made.

Can you share this software?
Do you know how to install it?

Yes, more info would be great regarding how the BESST tool works. Do you enter some sort of login provided for by the dealer to connect to the motor in order to do the firmware update?

On the other thread about the AM1000, they talk about an Innotrace/Exess controller. Is that something that can only be used on the other motors, or would the M600 be able to use a third party controller as well?

I am told innotrace hopes to have a controller for the M600 by next year. That said, I don't know if it would be worth the cost to upgrade. Easier to justify upgrading the Ultra as there is much more to be gained. My only real gripe with my M600 is torque sensing isn't smooth at lower PAS (I think specific to the Luna tuning), but it seems pretty efficient, and I find it's smooth enough at higher PAS. If the firmware CiDi was provided can be flashed to any M600 and solves my low PAS issues and further improves range I think I'd be happy paying ~$100 for the BESST tool and calling it good.

Hello, the BESST software can be downloaded from the Bafang website, the BESST interface I bought together with the M600 motors from CNE Bikes who provided me with a username and password to use it. The firmware I am attaching.

Note: the BESST tool can be used on all Bafang motors.

Attachments

• CRX10NC4320i132045 6-28-2230-20200806.txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Controller Update.jpg
    Controller Update.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Only problem with this update, the preset battery voltage is 43V and if the battery is 48V, the indication on the display is wrong.
I wrote to Bafang to find out how it is set up.

So, I am getting this issue:
[youtube]JahexOSU3lc[/youtube]

This is a very strange problem. Using the Besst Tool I was performing a "Position Sensor Calibration". The test involved supporting the bike in a stand to allow the wheel to free-spin, and clicking the button. Immediately, the motor made the sound (above video).

I have received a warranty replacement Motor. However, I am interested to know what the problem is.

This whole time I was guessing that it was a failed clutch. However, now am I am thinking it could be the motor spinning backwards.

There's two one-way bearings. Working back from the pedals, the first is on the crank shaft. If the motor is driving faster than the pedals, it will free-spin to provide power to the sprocket without driving the pedals.

The other is on the secondary reduction. 'I think' its purpose is the allow the pedals to drive faster than the motor. So if the pedals are spinning faster than the final-drive the 1st clutch is engaged. This drives the other one-way bearing to free spin, but once the motor spins faster it will engage.

I pulled everything apart and the one-way bearings feel like they are working, I certainly cannot budge them by hand.

The other supporting fact is that rolling the bike backwards offers motor resistance...

So if the motor was spinning backwards, this would just free spin the middle one-way bearing. Right??

So.... Now I am thinking perhaps a firmrware upgrade will resolve the issue. or maybe try the calibration process again, and it might flip the direction parameter....

My root-cause is that the calibration process enabled "reverse" and left it enabled.

Thoughts anyone?

IMG_20200814_213240 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200814_171034 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200814_171440 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200814_171449 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20200814_174645 (Custom).jpg

CiDi said:

I contacted FLX as they sell the BESST tool. Their lead tech responded back that it will only work for their motors. I interpret this to mean the login credentials they provide will only work for the motors they sell. So it seems the motors may be locked to dealer login.

Tom said:
CiDi said:

I contacted FLX as they sell the BESST tool. Their lead tech responded back that it will only work for their motors. I interpret this to mean the login credentials they provide will only work for the motors they sell. So it seems the motors may be locked to dealer login.

I meant that it can be used on all motor models, including BBS.
For M600, when you need to update, the first thing required is to read the engine serial, otherwise it does not update.
I imagine there is a block that allows you to modify the motors that have been purchased.

can someone know, what's this triangle cable for?
8d83a26103766d87b5b3cade2754d36c.jpg
b28b9141df1503cb2e7bf85b6e182c69.jpg
a52a7d1fa39e7b6af35eadbae60003ee.jpg

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

bbbbking said:
can someone know, what's this triangle cable for?
8d83a26103766d87b5b3cade2754d36c.jpg
b28b9141df1503cb2e7bf85b6e182c69.jpg
a52a7d1fa39e7b6af35eadbae60003ee.jpg

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

The triangular yellow cable is used to connect the bms of the bafang batteries.

JBC said:
Hi, I have a bike built with the Bafang M600. I have only one short test run, everything seems to be functional, enough power.
But I want to install battery-powered lighting. The display shows the lights on - so I assume that the lights can be powered from the motor controller.
Does anyone know what a connector / pin is?
Or better, if someone had the whole wiring diagram.

How are you satisfied with the bike? I just purchased the same frame 19in one.
Do you mind answering few question?
What is the total weight of the bike with the battery?
Did you manage to find the option for connecting the light? I would also like to connect one.
Is the battery easily removable and does it have a on/off switch?

BTW I ordered the same color, but I am thinking of repainting it to something dark gray or dark blue.

This is the connection diagram of the M600.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.15.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.15.54 AM.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,638
wizard04 said:
JBC said:
Hi, I have a bike built with the Bafang M600. I have only one short test run, everything seems to be functional, enough power.
But I want to install battery-powered lighting. The display shows the lights on - so I assume that the lights can be powered from the motor controller.
Does anyone know what a connector / pin is?
Or better, if someone had the whole wiring diagram.

How are you satisfied with the bike? I just purchased the same frame 19in one.
Do you mind answering few question?
What is the total weight of the bike with the battery?
Did you manage to find the option for connecting the light? I would also like to connect one.
Is the battery easily removable and does it have a on/off switch?

BTW I ordered the same color, but I am thinking of repainting it to something dark gray or dark blue.

Hi,

it can be said that I am satisfied with the frame. The important thing is that the frame is comfortable for me. But I had to redo the battery mount because it started to loosen over time. And also remodel the main pin of the rear structure. And also painting is not very durable.
But I must say that I use the bike in the terrain sometimes quite extremely.

I don't know the exact weight until now :)

I solve the lighting power supply via a small transformer powered by the battery head.

The battery does not have a switch.

I have been facing a rather annoying but not fatal issue with my Frey M600 since I got it, but as it still drives me nuts, I've finally asked our Frey rep to address it.

As I've posted previously, my controller reports my speed with about a 7% margin of error. So when I am actually going 36, it reports 39 km/hr. The only option I am offered in settings is wheel size 27.5, which is correct. I'm under the impression that the M600 requires the BESST proprietary software and cable in order to make changes. Would it be reasonable to ask Frey to send me these items so I can fix the issue?

The BESST tool is only ~$100. If you read upthread the lastest firmware may be smoother and more efficient. If Frey gives you login credentials I would invest the $100 in a heartbeat. Heck I'd even offer to buy it from you for what you paid if it worked to flash the latest firmware to my luna X1, lol.

Looks like Luna has some shorter (150mm) cranks for the M600.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-x1-enduro-short-crank-arms/

Found this on the Facebook M600 group.

Back