• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Balance charging three 4s lipo's as 12s

MD.

1 W
Hi,
I've searched here and google and can't seem to figure out the proper way to wire the balance connectors of three 4s lipo's on my 12s charger. I understand how to wire the main cables in series, but the balance connectors are different. My charger has two 6s balance connectors with a negative for each. Does anyone know the proper way to wire to obtain two 6s balance connectors including the negative's from three 4s lipo balance connectors?

Here's my charger connections.
ChargerBalance.JPG

Here's two of the three lipo balance connectors.
4sBalanceConnector.JPG

Here's a diagram I made but this leaves #12 disconnected.
Lipo Wiring.jpg

Here you go. Remember each + and - is tied together internal to each 4s pack.

To the OP: watch your charger. the leftmost pin on the 1-6 balance plug should be connected to the same balance wire as the rightmost pin on the 7-12 balance plug. They are at the same voltage. This is the yellow wire on your 4S balance plugs. So you have to split it in two and bring it to both ends of 6S plugs.

I agree, look really carefully at the charger spec, as it may well be two 6S chargers (with a common 0V), not a 12S charger.

If it is, then this means that you won't be able to charge a 12S pack made from three 4S packs with it, but will have to split all three packs out and charge them separately.

As this charger has only one pair of main charge leads, and the balance leads are marked 1 thru 12, I am pretty sure it is actually a 12S balance charger.

Your drawing revised.Lipo Wiring.jpg

Personally I would just use a Paraboard:

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=215

Your charger is a 12S charger designed to charge and balance two batteries at up to 6S.

If you want to charge and balance 3 or more I would parallel them.....

Kudos

Damn you guys are awesome!!! Thank you so much for the detailed information.

Wesnell, that's exactly the diagram I needed. For some reason I couldn't wrap my brain around what I needed to do to split that middle 4s pack. Seeing it in your drawing it looks obvious to me now. You are the man!!

The charger I have is the Thunder 1220. It says 1-12 series, but then it also says charge 2*6s simultaneously. I hope it does 12s. I'm going to double check the manual.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html?gclid=CPrz4qLQl7MCFY9_QgodXlwAEg

As far as the parallel, yes I'm going to wire 12s 2p with a db 15 balance plug to make it easy.

Thank you again!

Back