-Banana Slug- Kick Scooter/Longboard

psychotiller

10 kW
This last month I've been working on putting a board together for my 5 year old son. Being that he enjoys riding between my feet when I go out riding, the idea quickly morphed into a board with a handle so that he "may" find enough courage to ride on his own. I wanted a handle that would mount to the board using the standard skate truck pattern and hardware. This way, once he feels comfortable, the handle can come off and he'll have a legit powered longboard.

I found a T-handle from Roger's Brother's Downhill http://www.rogers-bros.com/rb-mini

Ordered a Twist Throttle from Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/131317816680?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Picked his doner board from my quiver and started putting it together. I quickly found out that I couldn't just plug the throttle into my ESC...

a couple of days later Beto posted up a new scooter build and mentioned his thumb throttle. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65384
Perfect timing! He figured out that using a servo tester/speed checker was a good solution.
So I went to my local RC Shop and bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251553982744?lpid=82 Low and behold it was a great solution!

Not only did it hardwire a throttle to my ESC, it also cut the overall speed of my board to about 50%. I'm going to change the gearing a bit as well to slow it down a little more too.

View attachment 2
banana slugg3.jpg
banana slugg4.jpg

Nice board
Congratulations!

We need some videos!!!
(And some shirts that say Irresponsible parenting on them LOL)

beto_pty said:
Nice board
Congratulations!

We need some videos!!!
(And some shirts that say Irresponsible parenting on them LOL)

:lol: I'm on it! ( I did, for the record, buy him a helmet too for christmas)

torqueboards said:
That looks great! Now we just need an all terrain and use-able turnable/foldable handle bars + 80mm motor with disc brakes!

Use-able/turnable? :lol: This is the best way in my opinion. The handle is a crutch, not an attribute. This way he learns to truly balance, lean to turn and better yet, Carve. Then, soon enough, the handle will be removed.

Now, 80mm motors and disc brakes? Torque, you're onto something!

Yeah... agreed. A scooter turn-ability is just ridiculously easy and dummy proof.

A beetbocks scooter would be nice with bigger wheels perhaps 8" pneumatics with disc brakes and 80mm motors even (2) 63mm on 12S.. That would be a blast to ride. The 80mm motors might be severe overkill and/or nice off-road riding.

Someone make my dream come true and make me one too :) lol

Actually ---- I'm down for a group buy.....

We can get it made by bluesaw perhaps waterjet and bolted together. Fit a nice custom battery pack with charging port. All aluminum with foldable handles and rims for 8" MBS wheels and/or 6x2 psychotiller wheels would work too.

Hopefully, keep it under 30 lbs. Easy to transport and durable.

And/or customize a Razor dirt scooter or similar.

I gathered a few people that don't board today to try the Banana Slug so that I could weed out any issues before I give it to my son. Wanted to try a focus group approach. It went really well. 4 out of 4 people loved how maneuverable it is. It's turning about an 8 foot radius as I have the trucks fairly loose. (My son only weighs 40lbs) I switched the batteries out so that it is running 11.1v. That and switched the motor to a 245kv from 290kv. Now the top speed is closer to 13mph. (per mama's orders) :roll:

NIce,..
just saw the video with my duaghter.. she loved your board.. she called it a big board for kids. LOL
She asked me if i could make one of those for her :(
well guess I will.. ill replace the t bar with some sort of ON/off part that can be taken off when she wants to kick push...
Ill also try using a penny board as opposed to a real longboard... just for size and manuverability sake...

nice build again!

Haha! I just used 2 of the existing truck mount bolts to hold on the bar. That way it's only 2 bolts to mess with. My son can turn any corner you throw at him on this board. I liked how stable he was cruising today too. Not sure a penny would do as well where we were riding. Cant wait to see your build- You always impress me.

Back