Battery/Controller Cutting out

jdbauman

1 W
I was hoping you guys might have some suggestions regarding this:

While I was out riding today, it felt like the controller kept cutting out, and I would lose all power. I tried turning the controller off and then back on, but that did not help. What I finally ended up doing was to turn off the controller and then unplug the controller from the battery. Once I replugged in the controller to the battery and powered the controller back on, then I would be up and running again. It kept doing this over and over again during my entire ride. I'm not sure what is causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions? It started doing this within 1 mile of leaving my house so I don't think my battery BMS is triggering the battery to shutdown.

My setup is a Crystalyte 406 motor running with a Clyte 35Amp controller. My battery pack is a 10Ah Headway pack.

I was also wondering if I need to wait for the battery to cool down, following a ride, before plugging it into the charger.

Thanks for any help!

This data makes the battery suspect. Voltage?

What is the history on your system and battery pack? What is your charger?

Is your Headway a screw top? Have your temperature gone down recently?

Tell us more.

d

Does it stil do it, after another charging. Sometimes you have a charger issue, and get a green light that says charged, but all you have is a loose connection from charger to the battery. You could have had only a low charge. Bad connections in the battery would be the next thing to look for.

It sounds like the BMS is cutting out. If the voltage drops enough to trip the LVC on the controller, you usually don't need to disconnect the battery to get it going again.

The BMS can trip if the current is too high or if any cell voltage drops too low.

You might try measuring individual cell voltages after it does this to see if there is a low one.

As the others pointed out, a loose connection on a cell or one of the BMS wires could have the same result.

Thanks for the helpful input guys... I am really starting to think that the BMS is tripping. The bike that is cutting out has a 35Amp controller. Today, I hooked up the battery to my other bike which has a 20Amp controller. I rode the bike for about 7 miles full throttle and did not have any problems with the battery cutting out. Maybe I am getting a voltage spike on the bike with the 35A controller.

Thanks for the helpful hints. I will check connections and individual cell voltages before and after riding to see what is going on... Thanks again for all the helpful ideas.

Jerry

By now if you haven't already seen (YPEDAL'S) review about the headway bms problem please do so. I think it will tell you alot. I have been thinking about getting a 72 volt 20 amph. battery from (EVCOMPONENTS) but i think i will wait untill thay get the BMS sorted out because i can't fix things like (YPEDAL). :) :)

Back