BBS02 brake lever: long or short throw?

bretster

1 µW
I am trying to determine whether the brake levers that come standard in a BBS02 kit are long throw (v-brake) or short throw (canti). I have had two different answers from vendors. Thanks in advance!

Bret

:?:
appears it depends on the kit; different people seem to get different levers.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71486&hilit=BBS02+brake+lever

Thanks! Still inconclusive however (doh!).

I have the silver levers, not the black, if that helps anybody else who might want to throw their 2 cents in. Is there a way to measure cable pull and thus determine my lever type?

Bret

Mine came with black levers, and they're long throw for sure. My old touring bike has butterfly brakes on it, and they felt way too squishy with the Bafang levers.

Easiest way I can think of to measure is to attach a brake cable to it, pull the loose (brake) end tight, measure the amount of cable hanging out the end of the sheath. Then pull the level all the way in, measure again, subtract.

Forget about the Bafang levers, most bikes have better levers. Use a set of hydraulic brake adapters and keep your better levers.

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/products/hall-sensor-brake-switch

While I give hydraulic brakes on bicycles two hearty thumbs down, I concur that you should use good levers that work well for your particular brakes, and not levers that you get in a kit by random chance.

Chalo said:
While I give hydraulic brakes on bicycles two hearty thumbs down, I concur that you should use good levers that work well for your particular brakes, and not levers that you get in a kit by random chance.
I hope you didnt read i was suggesting using hydraulic brakes. The sensors work on everyday cable levers. Most of which, if the bike was more than $500, are better than Bafang kit supplied. That also ends worries about long or short pull. Use what cha gots.

You taught me better...

I see, that the sensors you linked to are designed for hydraulics only in that they are sensing the lever position and not the cable/hose. That's cool in terms of universal fitment.

I made no assumptions as to what brakes are your jam.

Chalo said:
I made no assumptions as to what brakes are your jam.
You convinced me to upgrade v brake pads. I did. I was very happy with the koolstop. Then i came onto a set of BB7 discs. Exchanged them for the tektro discs on a fat bike. Both sets suck. Went to koolstop ebike, gray pads, they are far better than either set of discs. I prefer my 26" "discs". I however avoid quoting you. It brings out the pissy in some people. VBG.

Two sets of lightly used (300 miles) BB7 disc brakes available....

I will send a pm for more info and price on the slightly used bb7 front and rear brakes and shipping to 86442

Two sets of lightly used (300 miles) BB7 disc brakes available....

Back