Biggest Chainring

Depends on the number of teeth on the back sprocket, the dummies. Dunno what speed you are looking at cruising at, but with my lame 36v setup, I ride about 25-27 mph, while the motor only is good for about 23-24 mph. So I'm pedaling in 58-14 gear 98% of the time. I do tend to downshift for an uphill start to 16 rear, or 18 rear sprocket, and then back up to the 14 cog once moving.

My controller is sensorless, but only needs a tiny push to roll forward. Half throttle keeps the motor stalling down starting up, and I start to pedal and push full throttle once going about 6 mph. I have the range, so I don't worry about blowing a few watts on starts. 72-14 might be a bit harder to get going . So you just motor till 15 mph, no big deal. It might tend to jump teeth on the rear 14 tooth though, mine does if I push too hard on a startup. It doesn't do this on the 16 tooth gear. It will be like a longer lever pulling on the chain. Fixie will help with that though, since you won't have slack in the chain, or just a stronger tensioner than a normal deriailur. I bet 72 front and about 20 to 24 rear will feel sweet. Aim for about 3 mph faster than the motors top cruising speed. It's just too hard to pedal a motor much more fast than it's top speed. Too much, and you'll leave the sweet spot and may as well just turn off the motor and pedal.

Biggest Chainring

73T-03.jpg

LOLZ

Forgot I had this, but this is the biggest chainring I actually have here:144 chainring.jpg144 chainring2.jpg

It's a 144 tooth ring off of an exercycle's pedals, for the smaller 3/8" chain, I think it is. Same chain the ScootnGo electric scooter used, but I think that was a 72-tooth on it's rear wheel.

The bottom pic also has the back of my St Bernard, Nana, who is herself almost big enough to ride. ;)

coln72 said:
Looks like a Greenspeed chain ring. Have an 80 tooth version on my pedal battery charger :)

Can I see a pic of the charger as a whole? I love human powered generators

I've been using this 75t and can still feel resistance pedaling at 25mph with a 11-34t freewheel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6JHN5J
1665099829040186277960477628391.jpg

I admit to drooling over a 120t I see on AliExpress, though. Might let me assist my bike even when it is going 30mph.

I'm not crazy about that big wheel.

How about using a Schlumpf Speed Drive instead?

Combined with Rohloff speedhub, gives 868% total gear range

Y'all need to keep in mind that above 30 mph, aero drag from pedaling begins to eat up more energy than most people make with the pedals. The faster you go above that speed, the more range and performance it costs when you pedal. So these giant chainrings are just so much stupid theater. If you want to pedal effectively, go at pedal bike speeds.

Note that the only two established applications for such huge chainrings are stationary cycling and motorpaced cycling, both of which skirt around the aero drag issue (but aren't relevant to what we do with our bikes).

Back