Bosch Drive Tested.

I was in Germany the last few days and I got to test the Bosch mid drive on a Raleigh bike.

Here it is.

DSCN1759_zps03d5872a.jpg

DSCN1760_zps1041b914.jpg

DSCN1762_zpsf80721be.jpg

DSCN1763_zps75e406f4.jpg

I was really, really impressed, I never tested a 250 pedelec bike so I can't compare but I can tell that there is no way this bosch drive is 250 watts, It was able to pull me up really steep 12% +hills no problem, I'd say at least 500 watts probably more. There is a video on youtube with an speedict kit hooked up to the Bosch showing 750 watts max being pulled. I could say it would tackle 16% no problem.

I Climbed some long steep stuff and when I got off the bike at the top there wasn't a hint of heat anywhere. :D

The Pedelec system was fantastic and incredibly smooth and seems so natural. It was much smoother than trying to manage a throttle, there is just no comparison.

From looking around the net it seems they have a 350 watt 45 kph version, but i don't know where this can be purchased ?

I was at a local bike shop where I was staying and they had the new Bosch Drive which has a 400 watt (36V 11 ah) battery and a really nice display.

On the older system I tried had an 8ah 36V battery, the new system seems much easier to use but the old one isn't bad, I forgot to take pics of the different displays.

It was really cool the way you could adjust the assistance levels on the fly, even on eco 1 it provided a decent level of assistance for smaller hills and turning the assistance off al together was really noticeable form the lowest eco 1 setting. Speed 3 was the highest setting and pretty cool on the steep stuff.

The chain drive really makes a difference, being able to drive through the gears makes all the difference.

It was hardly any noisier than a mac geared hub.

The weight in the centre makes a difference to balance without doubt.

I could easily see myself who makes good effort to pedal getting 30+ miles form just 36v 8ah and more with the new 11ah battery 40+ miles should be easily achievable.

Most of the time I needed assistance for smaller hills I used eco 1, but for a lot of the time I used no assistance at all so I guess that means it's easy enough to pedal unassisted but I'd need more time to decide.

Here is the Haibike that my GF Dad bought, It's a fraction under 20kg and it doesn't feel much heavier than my mountain bike with no electrics at all. I don't know the weight of the raleigh, but it did feel heavier than the haibike.

http://www.haibike.de/

DSCN1764_zps61848802.jpg

DSCN1765_zpsd14deff9.jpg

DSCN1766_zpse3fd00be.jpg

DSCN1767_zpsbde36627.jpg

Notice the motor upside down for greater ground clearance.

DSCN1767_zpsbde36627.jpg

DSCN1768_zpsce51c49c.jpg

DSCN1769_zps8730db6f.jpg

DSCN1771_zps0f473ed0.jpg

The Battery, 2.5 kg maybe someone can talk about the cells Bosch use ? I believe this pic will give clues ?

DSCN1776_zps6902e3f8.jpg

DSCN1777_zpsa9fb3bd4.jpg

The charger, it's got a 4 amp and a 1 amp setting. So 2 hrs from empty to full, depending on how long it takes to balance of course.

DSCN1778_zpse88f85c1.jpg

I was really impressed with the quality of the Haibike, sadly I didn't get a chance to test it out as the Weather in Germany and most of Europe has been like winter even in May but I got out Saturday it was around 12 C and today when I left it was 7 C, unbelievable!

The bike shop even allows you to take test drives which I though was cool, I only got a quick spin on the new Bosch system.

The conclusion.

I was really impressed with the smoothness of the system and how it seems so natural and the ability to adjust the assistance levels on the fly is really cool. I like to put in serious pedal effort and so eco 1 was my mode most of the time and I was happy until I was confronted by very large hills where I threw it into speed 3 and dropped a few gears for max power. But it was surprisingly powerful.

This system should be more than suitable for most people who would otherwise not bother to cycle because it's too difficult, it should encourage a lot more people to get on the saddle and leave the car at home. I can only imagine it beats the crap out of any hub motor, even at 500+ watts.

I loved the clean design and the lockable battery.

The Bosch system is far more than enough for all but the power junkies here on ES who might dismiss it, but I was really impressed.

I could only highly recommend the Bosch drive, but sadly it is expensive, 2k+ depending on bike of course. But it could be seen as a long term investment.

The German bike trails are a dream and my GF's Dad had to keep reminding me that no cars are allowed that I don't need to ride on the right, I was astonished as a lot of the bike trails were as wide as some of our roads but hard as it is to believe they are much smoother than a lot of our roads.

I really wish the Irish Government would install a lot more proper off road bike lanes to encourage people to cycle more, trails are much more fun than on dangerous roads with traffic, but sadly most of Ireland is owned by farmers who would never allow any form of bike trail through their land and there is very little land for the public to enjoy, far too few parks and no natural forest left! another story for another time.

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up and post pix. I wish they sold these bikes here in the USA.

I rode a Kreitler 29"er hardtail with a front shock and an EU spec Bosch drive at Interbike last fall and was really impressed with it also. A very intuitive and well integrated system that in the higher wattage version is probably more than sufficient for the needs of 95% of the people out there that are on the fence about e bikes and that don't want to get in to DIY. Pedals with little to no resistance without the motor and is well balanced with the in the front triangle battery and above the bb motor which is a key factor for me. There wasn't a throttle, which I am used to because I like to pedal in the big ring and feed the motor in as needed, but it was the first pedelec system I have ridden that I didn't miss it. At between $2 and $3 grand+ it is more than DIY but keep in mind that includes dealer markup and dealer support. And have you priced bikes without motors these days? :shock: And no I am not talking about Mal Wart. :roll:

The word I heard last fall is that Bosch is not going to come to the US with much force until they have finished fine tuning their dealer support program but I would guess that next year they will be more readily available. Currie Tech picked up Haibike I believe and Kreitler has also found a US distributor so along with the aforementioned BH they are filtering in regardless of what Bosch's master plan is. When there is a higher wattage FS version with at least a 15ah battery available I hope I have the disposable income on hand to buy one!

$2k-$3k, really?
I see why Bafang got around to making their crank drive.

Thanks for the report :)

mabman said:
the higher wattage version is probably more than sufficient for the needs of 95% of the people out there that are on the fence about e bikes and that don't want to get in to DIY.

On the contrary, I think the (250 w) is more than enough for most people, even my GF Dad who is nearly 61 said it has more than enough power and rides in eco 1 (the lowest setting) most of the time until he has to climb the really steep stuff.

That being said the advertised 250 watts to a lot of ES members seems way too low, but there is no way this Bosch system is 250 watts. I've never tested a 250 watt hub motor pedelec to compare but I bet it wouldn't have half the pulling power up a really steep hill as the Bosch. And I bet it wouldn't be cool either. I'm sure the motor inside was warm but from the outside it was completely cool.

Sure if you don't want to pedal and want to go 30 mph then a Mac 8T and a 20ah ping or cell man NMC 18ah triangle pack would fit the bill nicely and at 15-20 mph you can easily get 30+ miles from a 48V 20ah pack including some hills. If you have the Bike it would be less than half the cost of a new bike with the Bosch drive, if not then it might work out at more than half for a decent bike.

The mac will also need a lot more power on the steep stuff as it starts to slow down and more power turn to heat. (at the same speed as the Bosch) The 10-12T might be more efficient than the 8T but slower top speed, solution, more volts meaning bigger heavier battery.

As I said for anyone like me who is seriously into peddling then the Bosch is more than enough power. And for those who don't care about faster than bicycle speeds.

I really wish I could afford one of the Bosch drives as I love the clean design and the interface, the fact the battery is locked to the frame and when switched off, you can take the display and it can't be turned on is a major + for me as I couldn't leave a normal DIY bike locked up for too long without getting nervous. Not having to worry about anti- spark etc all this is a huge advantage for me.

I think we need to forget big hub power numbers when talking about chain drive. As the Bosch will climb more than a 2kw Mac 8T (for the same speed as the Bosch) and without the heat, on less than half the power, that is amazing, even the heat shedding Pie wouldn't have been as cool on the slow steep stuff again needing much more power and being even slower than the Mac. I'd love to test it on the long 16% mountain climb that I burned the halls in the pie, granted regen didn't help coming back down, but at the top it was absolutely roasting pulling 3kw as it slowed down all that power turned to heat.

I'd love to test the Conway E-rider extreme, 2kw peak and only 20 kg same as some of the better bikes with the Bosch drive, if it were easy to pedal unassisted would be a huge +, but the price of these bike is huge.

I know my next bike isn't going to be a hub motor and will without doubt have a Bosch drive, so time to start saving.......

neptronix said:
$2k-$3k, really?
I see why Bafang got around to making their crank drive.

Thanks for the report :)

2-3 K Euro's Nep ! :mrgreen:

But I bet you lucky North Americans would get it for a lot less as ye pay hardly any tax. :cry:

Speaking of the bafang, I did see a thread on it, but I would seriously consider it it were as good as the Bosch. has anyone got to try it yet ?

Lebowski said:
The 45kmh versions are sold here in Switzerland, I've been drooling over this one

http://myibex.ch/cms/contents/velos/clever-smart/01-fat-frank.html

Some nice bikes there, they don't say the weight though ?

I like the fact there are bikes with no suspension as it really adds to the weight which isn't good if You like to pedal, cheap front suspensions are pretty much useless and heavy.

I'm actually thinking now if I would prefer a mountain bike or a road type bike, as I'd still like to take to the woods every now and then, and a full suspension bike would be nice.

Lebowski said:
the most interesting comment in the German article is that rumors are end of 2013 the Bosch system will be completely updated / reworked

I didn't see that ? lol

Hmmm Interesting to see what the come up with next.

If the E.U finally lift the power limit it could be very interesting.

Anyone know if they are changing the laws or not ? I haven't heard anything in a long time about it.

Lebowski said:
the most interesting comment in the German article is that rumors are end of 2013 the Bosch system will be completely updated / reworked

found some more info:

http://www.elektrofahrrad24.de/news_bosch-praesentiert-neue-e-bike-motorengeneration-im-jahr-2014-12189

Bosch launches new E-Bike motor generation in 2014

According to our information Bosch e-bike will be presenting a new generation e-bike motor for model year 2014.

The new drive will be slightly smaller, but is distinguished by its more centrally positioned drive shaft. The higher order constructive seated engine allows for more ground clearance, especially for the growing segment of suspension mountain bikes with electric propulsion is an interesting thing.

Also new is that the drive is about the size much smaller pinion will be held from 16 to 20 teeth. Currently running test the durability of the components, but it is to be expected that the new Bosch motor can generate up to 70 nM force.

The new Bosch e-Bike Drive it follows the trend of system integration and development of compact drives. After the revision of the user control / of the display and the development of larger batteries a logical step.

In 2014 new battery will follow, but not backward compatible with the products of 2011 - is 2013. With constant capacity you will have the opportunity to charge the bike.

Also, the demand for mid-engine systems resignation will not be closed Bosch on. The Bosch electric bike drive is probably also imagine a version with resignation. The Bosch e-bike experts can thus also serve the segment of comfort-oriented electric bike users.

It remains to be said that the existing Bosch drive will be available in the market in the 2014 season continues.

The booming market in electric bike range provides plenty of waves of innovation. Even the Taiwanese Mr. Teller TranzX is entered in the model year 2014 with a new mid-engine concept to market. Already reported in our e-bike news message about TranzX from 20.03.2014 is the new system.

Also from Panasonic, a new drive can be expected. Small, compact and quiet are the objectives for the new drive concept.

One may be curious about the new 2014 - we will keep you posted!

Thanks for the link, an extra 20Nm of torque sounds good. Pity there isn't any more information yet.

Check this link out my German is bad so it seems there is a hack to enable the 45 km/h mode ?

Check out the video at 1.50

[youtube]iRyh7BDw7cc[/youtube]

http://pedelec-elektro-fahrrad.de/news/bosch-antrieb-einfaches-tuning-mit-ansteckbarem-dongle/

After some digging I found this.

http://www.maintronic.de/de/produkte/sx2-tuning-dongle/sx2-aktiv-schalter-kabelsatzkit-bosch.html

And explanation here, use Chrome to translate, it is a 50 km/h hack lol excellent. How hard one has to pedal though is unknown!

http://www.maintronic.de/de/produkte/sx2-tuning-dongle.html

Excellent review, o00scorpion00o! Thanks for the pics and the post.

Can't wait till Haibike / Currie hits our shores in the USA in 2014. I'm hoping to get my hands on a Xduro FS RX 26.

I like the inverted motor mount setup that Haibike has instead of the below-the-bb setup like in the Raleigh photo above.

4REEE said:
Excellent review, o00scorpion00o! Thanks for the pics and the post.

Can't wait till Haibike / Currie hits our shores in the USA in 2014. I'm hoping to get my hands on a Xduro FS RX 26.

I like the inverted motor mount setup that Haibike has instead of the below-the-bb setup like in the Raleigh photo above.

Glad you liked the review.

Yeah the inverted motor looks much better I think and better for trails perhaps.

The Bosch drive is selling like crazy on the mainland and perhaps that's the delay In reaching North America ?

I really like Haibike, they are really good quality. The FS RX looks really nice too.

Rumour has it that the new version will have 20 nm more torque , maybe worth waiting for, who knows what setup they will have then.

@o00scorpion00o:

That 20Nm of extra torque will *really* help on those steep hills! But then again, the Haibike is already a mid-drive system, so it's going to be able to climb a lot of hills anyway.

4REEE said:
@o00scorpion00o:

That 20Nm of extra torque will *really* help on those steep hills! But then again, the Haibike is already a mid-drive system, so it's going to be able to climb a lot of hills anyway.

Yes even the current Bosch drive climbs very well.

That extra 20 nm could be really useful though and who knows, it may even be fully integrated into the bottom bracket altogether for a really clean design.

But I'd be more than happy with the current system if funds allowed spending 3 k euros on the haibike.

o00scorpion00o said:
neptronix said:
Speaking of the bafang, I did see a thread on it, but I would seriously consider it it were as good as the Bosch. has anyone got to try it yet ?

Yes, I have one of the first Bafang BBS-01 motors. Note that it comes in 250W and 350w. These low-watt ratings are perfect for people who want to get exercise, rather than the person looking for a moped bicycle that goes up hills under its own power while you are along for the ride. You pedal up the hills and the motor assist means at the top you are warm, but not sweating. No lungs gasping for air or leg muscles inflamed. The motor is low-mounted which means the center of gravity is maintained, and of course no changing of the wheels that come with the bike. It is a very different ebike experience than the hub motors. It is designed as a bolt-in kit, and except for a few design bugs (mentioned below), they have hit the target. No comment on durability, as I have no owned it long enough, but so far it feels strong and fit for the purpose (which is not something that can be said about all Chinese motors). I found that it successfully took me on a 25 km ride on a 6.6a/h 39v A123 cellman battery without running out of power, by only using the motor when conditions required. It appears to be well sealed, which is important in our salt air.

Pluses:
  • Really nice motor, smooth, quiet, subtle even on a classic Italian 3-speed.
  • Compared to the EU motors, this one is a bargain even though it costs more than the older Bafang motors like the BPM.
  • Controller and pedalec is in the motor, so less wires, reasonable price. Uses the waterproof cable system so none of the tangles a found with the usual.
  • Except for the diameter issue (described below), it is very easy to install. Remove cranks and BB, slide in with mounting bracket, attach and tighten. Then install supplied cranks (use your pedals and crank bolts), handlebar controls & display, plug in the battery and you are running.

Minuses:
  • The BB shaft is 33.5 mm which means that if the BB is out of round or has any tubes protruding, one can spend 2 hours with a dremel grinder to get it to fit. Bafang says they will reduce the diameter to 33.3, but we will have to see.
  • The system lacks an instant power-cut-off switch (as opposed to the display controls which take more time), thus using an internal hub (no pedalling while shifting) one must cut the power by pressing the ebrake or stop pedalling and wait several seconds to shift. Obviously the time to shift is when one is pedalling up a hill - where braking or stop pedalling for a couple seconds is counter-intuitive. One work-around is to use only one ebrake (the front) and then wire in a switch to the rear ebrake cable or to slacken the rear ebrake cable so a gentle press cuts the motor, but is not enough for the brakes to grab. Since I tend to ride the same roads, I've learned to plan ahead on shifting.
  • While the 2013 company catalog says it will work with 38T to 48T chainwheel, in fact it will only work with 46T - 48T (mine came with a 46T) which means my gear ratios involuntarily changed (mine was formerly a 42T chainring). This looks like an design "oops, where the drive chain cover precludes the smaller chainwheels. This also can be a problem if one wants a chain guard. I ended up fitting an aftermarket chainguard with some special mounts that had to be made to not interfere with the motor installation. Nicely the motor has some threaded holes that can be used for this purpose.
  • The chain ring pants protector that is provided is a simple and not very impressive piece of plastic. The motor looks quite good, but the plastic protector looks cheap. Work around is (as mentioned above) to replace with a hockey-stick chain guard.
Notes:
  • The BBS01 freewheels when pedalling backwards, so if you have a rear coaster brake, it will not work. The BBS02 is not yet released, but it will work with a coaster brake. The BBT, also not released, will use a torque sensor instead of a pedalec.
  • Mine came with a Thumb Throttle, and for some reason, the TT gives more power in full-power setting than the pedalec does.

Overall, it is impressive and I expect to see many more on the road as time goes by. I look forward to buying the BBT model with the torque sensor (harder the pressure, the more the power) when it becomes available.

I think the Bosch is supposed to be a lot more powerful than the Bafang, but I think what makes the Bosch especially good is the sensors and software and the ability of the system to know what you are doing and when to apply the power, it was a really good experience and not having to use a throttle is even better. It won't fly up hills like an 8T mac on 16S LiPo @3kw, definitely not, but it will climb steeper hills with less power and it certainly won't roast, however if you had a 10-12T mac on 10-12S LiPo with a 500 watt-700 peak it may also climb just as good, but it still won't offer the same experience because it's the smoothness of the Bosch that makes the experience all the more enjoyable rather than the jerkiness of using a throttle.

I would really like to test a mac 10-12 T against the Bosch at 500 watts and a 16% hill, certainly the Bosch had no trouble at all climbing a 16% grade and I think some trails I were on were steeper. The motor simulator says the BMC torque which is probably a 10T mac will over heat in something like 5 mins on 16% ?

The 16% burned the halls in the magic pie pulling 3kw for 10 mins, but it made it up all the same, Perhaps it was the regen back down that finished it off ? but the smell of it in the car on the way home was bad, and it was very hot for at least 30 mins after in the car, certainly many trips like that would no doubt have burned the windings. But I doubt there would be any possibility the Pie could do it on only 500 watts. It was slow getting up 16% maybe 10 mph max.

I have since ordered the Haibike Trekking SL, see below.

haibike_eq_xduro_trekking_sl_ebike_2013_He.png

Image_4_Haibike.png

The mountain bikes are too expensive and I would love a full suspension bike, but I love cycling and the Trekking bike would be good for most of my riding which is mainly on road.

I was supposed to have it Monday or Tuesday but seemingly the seller on E-bay is finding it difficult for a courier to send the parcel, or maybe he is using a cheaper local postal service ? he will most likely have to pay more for the shipping, his problem. It's coming from Germany. I can't wait and the weather is so good the last few days and all next week is supposed to be warm and there is a thing in the sky that's bright and painful to look at ? I read somewhere it's called the Sun. And the sky is Blue which looks strange compared to grey and dark :mrgreen: God how deprived we are of sunshine here !

How does the Bafang feel without any power (dead battery)? Is it as easy to pedal as the geared hub motors?

I am a bike manufacturer for over 30 years and want to build a bike around the Bosch drive but sadly they only sell in large quantities and they won't respond to me after telling me that. No word on how many units must be ordered or what investment is needed. I just don't understand why it is so hard to get even a email from let alone any product for small frame builders to get the US E-Bike movement going. 500 units seems to be the minimum order to have a custom integrated BB drive from other MFG's but still they don't reply back when I ask how much is the investment needing to be.

I have been riding an EasyMotion that I got from Petes. Step through. Although the system works very well the handling of the bike in general is about the worse thing I have ever slung a leg around. Riding on a dirt trail is taking all the years of racing experience I have just to barely get down a path. I can't believe they put such a good system on the cheapest crap bike they can find! Even road manors are horrendous.

I am completely sold on a mid drive at this point and mostly the integrated BB designs. The Optibike is great too but not bike path legal. They are located just a few miles from me. I spoke to the production manager at length last week. Waiting to hear back from the owner on me helping with some R&D for them.

Back