• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Brainpower Motor Controller - Throttle power issue

kaptaink_cg

1 µW
Hello! I'm new to the forum but have installed a couple of these Brainpower Motor Contollers before.

The one I'm currently having an issue with was purchased from:https://amzn.to/3bmTP2O. The 3-wires for the throttle control are the Black/Red/Blue wires that terminate in a black plug. However, when I've hooked it up, the wheel will only occasionally make a revolution. I disconnected the throttle and checked the voltage at these wires. Black is ground, Red is +4.8V, and the blue is a steady +5.0V.

This has me stumped. Shouldn't at least one of these wires (blue?) not read any voltage until a signal is provided to it from the throttle?

I've tried a second throttle as a test, and the wheel doesn't move at all.

Phase and hall wires have all been hooked up successfully with no errors, and the wheel will turn continuously when the green "learn" wire is connected.

37aob5t

I considered that, but the only other three-wire lead coming out of this is for the electric brake. (Red/Black/Grey to white plug)

Then where's the PAS wires? As per Amazon's wiring pic... Ahhhh then again you have a different controller model according to the pic.

Any chance you got a PAS only model?

A well known fault on these Hall effect throttles occurs when the ground lead breaks and you get full throttle. This can be replicated by putting a diode between the Power and signal lead. Sometimes I pick up a controller and don't know which of the three pin plugs is for PAS or throttle (or speed sensor if it's a KT unit). I'll apply a diode to both and the one that spins the motor is the throttle.

An LED works as well as a diode. And if you don't have either, just use the power and signal lead of the throttle, also a diode. The advantage of this method is I can still get power/signal mixed up, but if I reverse the diode, the port is going to spin the motor as long as I got the right connector.

This works on that Brainpower controller, by the way. I got one of them.

Test_diode.jpg

Hello,
On my XLD C-6 the Throttle is Red/Black/White
Red /Black/ Blue is for PAS Sensor
mfg Martin

Back