Can I wash a stator in water?

Offroader

1 MW
Thinking of trying FF, but if it doesn't work as intended I would like to wash it out of the windings and stator and convert to air cooling so the dirt doesn't stick inside the windings from the outside air.

Was wondering if anyone sees any issues with this?

I guess I would remove the whole stator, run it under a hose, and then blow it dry with compressed air.

Would like to know if any of you see any issues with this or have a better idea.

Thanks.

From what I've read, you can wipe off the ferrofluid with a rag or paper towel and get most of it that way. Washing with water may cause rust, but otherwise I don't see an issue. Use some dish soap too. Just dry it right away before rust can form.

Just a thought but could you use a speaker magnet and draw it out

Other than rust on the laminations wherever water contacts them long enough, I don't imagine any problems.

Remember that many (probably most) people who run ventilated motors get them pretty wet when it rains or they ride thru various types of running or standing water. ;)

The problem is the Ferro Fluid will still leave some residue even if you use a magnet to try and pull it out. That will make dust stick inside the windings.

Could I dip the motor in alcohol or something like that after washing it with water to get all the excess water out?

Or just air blow it for a long time should be good enough? I have one of those huge metal air blowers.

Back