Cell-level Fusing

I agree that you should have more separation between parallel groups.

I didn't have the room so I could not do it.

However, if you hot glue the pack and have it secure, there is no way it will ever move enough to rub through. The hot glue seems to be very strong, strong enough that if I try to remove a cell from my pack that is hot glued on one side it will rip the insulation right off the battery.

I would say if your cells are able to move that much to where your hot glue fails and are wearing away through the battery insulation then you have greater issues to worry about. Eventually anything you put between the cells will rub through with that kind of movement.

I believe if you have the battery secure and hot glued, and you do periodic checks, you should be fine. I think most people with battery failures never hot glued the cells together, but only had them connected with nickel tabs.

Offroader said:
How are you going to put your cells in parallel?

I believe it is capacity loss, but capacity loss goes hand in hand with all the other cell losses, like more voltage sag, less amp output from the cells.

It seems universally accepted that you shouldn't solder to the cells and many companies even sell cells with tabs welded on so you don't have to solder directly to the cell. I would like to see an actual study to see just how much it impacts cell life.

Micah from EV-bikes I think has a short-ish Youtube video showing heat dissipation in soldering cells versus spot welding. I think it's incredibly telling how much heat gets transferred. I won't solder onto my cells ever. I'm worried even just soldering near them to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byvr-dwwao4&t=1s

DVDRW said:
I'm going similar to Tesla style, using 0.1mmx1mm nickel plated steel as fuse.
Trips about 12A. In case if cell shorted or something else comes wrong.
HV8un1b.jpg

Where, or how, do you get the 1mm x 0.1mm strips?

I have also recently worked out that this method is best for me (I think it's the best period but others have different opinions) ... the only issue I have is sourcing or making such strips.

Do you buy them from somewhere? Or do you make them yourself from thicker strips 8mm, 6mm?) if so, how do you get consistency in your making of the strips?

Offroader said:
How are you going to put your cells in parallel?

I believe it is capacity loss, but capacity loss goes hand in hand with all the other cell losses, like more voltage sag, less amp output from the cells.

It seems universally accepted that you shouldn't solder to the cells and many companies even sell cells with tabs welded on so you don't have to solder directly to the cell. I would like to see an actual study to see just how much it impacts cell life.

"they" say it will burn your house down for that reason i keep my battery pack 100 feet away from my house at all times... :bigthumb:

Back