China (virus): no problem with air shipments? i'd like to buy.........

@Robinev: PLEASE READ before you post. Mortality of Corona is below 1% if you're a mid-age person.
And NO. There were NO 80k dead people from this virus. "Only" a few thousand.
News tend to like BAD NEWS, and spread it. Happy to have something to write about.
"Regular" real influenza causes around HALF A MILLION deathes every year. Compare yourself ....
Don't panic.

izeman said:
@Robinev: PLEASE READ before you post. Mortality of Corona is below 1% if you're a mid-age person.
And NO. There were NO 80k dead people from this virus. "Only" a few thousand.
News tend to like BAD NEWS, and spread it. Happy to have something to write about.
"Regular" real influenza causes around HALF A MILLION deathes every year. Compare yourself ....
Don't panic.

Yeah but the truth like you posted here does not sell newspapers or generate :thumb: ...

Robinev said:
Dood you have to watch on YouTube the pandemic going on over there. I want to order 60x mosfets but decided against bringing any type of risk would open Pandora’s box In USA
You're not going to catch a flu virus from MOSFETS. They are not carriers.
not cool man not to mention 80,000+ people+ doctor that blew the whistle On the virus died this year in one month 80,000+ from covid19.
82,000 people have confirmed cases of COVID-19. Since most cases are mild, it is likely that far more than that have it now. 2800 have died. The mortality rate is about 2% as far as they know, but since this is comparing confirmed cases to deaths, it's likely less.
Good luck I rather have a paper weight bike then. A dead family.
We all would. But so far you are more likely to have your family die of the common flu, which kills about 600,000 people a year. (Did you get them all a flu shot?)

Fortunately the best preventative measures are the same for both. Wash your hands. Sneeze into a tissue (or into your shirt if you don't have one.) Stay home when you are sick. Rest and drink a lot of fluids. Go to the doctor if you get really sick.

HK12K said:
zeccato said:
HK12K said:
Regarding the stuff I ordered (all from various vendors) it's been 50/50. Half of it shipped and has made it to Canada, though not yet to my door. The other half they've done nothing more than assign tracking numbers. No movement whatsoever.
February orders confirmed?
keep us up to date, to know if it's worth ordering something
Yes all ordered between February 6-8.
So far one package has arrived at my home. Shipped from China but had a Mississauga return address printed on it. Delivered by Canada Post early last week with the regular mail.

One other item landed at Trudeau International 10 days ago but has shown zero movement since. No idea if that's virus related, pipeline protest related, or simply Canada Post being Canada Post.

The other two items still haven't moved past the "Tracking number issued" stage. Luckily I can get by without my shrink wrap and neodymium magnets for a little while longer.

I ordered a MXUS X15 motor, BMS, LCD3 from different vendors on aliexoress in the last week of January, The motor and LCD showed up last week.

Various trinkets off ebay fron CHina ordered in early Februray (bike parts, little electrical doo dads) are either shipped or in progress.

I understand that viruses shouldn't be able to survive a few days in a box for n airplane ride, but I still spritz the goods with Lysol when they come, and let them sit a a day in the garage.

I ordered a BMS back in January and it finally arrived. I think most of the delay was really from Chinese New Year and not so much from the coronavirus.

HK12K said:
HK12K said:
zeccato said:
HK12K said:
Regarding the stuff I ordered (all from various vendors) it's been 50/50. Half of it shipped and has made it to Canada, though not yet to my door. The other half they've done nothing more than assign tracking numbers. No movement whatsoever.
So far one package has arrived at my home. Shipped from China but had a Mississauga return address printed on it. Delivered by Canada Post early last week with the regular mail.

One other item landed at Trudeau International 10 days ago but has shown zero movement since. No idea if that's virus related, pipeline protest related, or simply Canada Post being Canada Post.

The other two items still haven't moved past the "Tracking number issued" stage. Luckily I can get by without my shrink wrap and neodymium magnets for a little while longer.

Second package arrived today. Strangely enough this one had a return address in Germany, though I tracked it from China just like the earlier one.

im still waiting for my tires, they were supposed to be here last week from china but maybe theyre being held up somewhere in Canada customs, so my tires are being held captive and millions of people are still flying around in airplanes everyday, hopping in cabs, eating at restaurants, going to the mall, baggage handlers are still doing everything they always do. so my tires are probably safer than me hopping on a bus or what we call the skytrain. the skytrain is filthy, people are packed like sardines on it and it serves the Vancouver International Airport. so if the virus is here then its here and there is nothing we can do about it. planes are flying, borders are open so just give me my tires.

goatman said:
im still waiting for my tires, they were supposed to be here last week from china but maybe theyre being held up somewhere in Canada customs, so my tires are being held captive and millions of people are still flying around in airplanes everyday, hopping in cabs, eating at restaurants, going to the mall, baggage handlers are still doing everything they always do. so my tires are probably safer than me hopping on a bus or what we call the skytrain. the skytrain is filthy, people are packed like sardines on it and it serves the Vancouver International Airport. so if the virus is here then its here and there is nothing we can do about it. planes are flying, borders are open so just give me my tires.
The wet'suwet'en didn't give you permission to bring them here so they lit them on fire and threw them on the train tracks in protest... for the environment.

goatman said:
It took me two months to get a shipment from the Netherlands because it was stuck in customs - and that was three months ago.

It's not the virus. It's customs.

HK12K said:
HK12K said:
HK12K said:
zeccato said:

Second package arrived today. Strangely enough this one had a return address in Germany, though I tracked it from China just like the earlier one.
Third package arrived today. This time with a return address in Malaysia.

Think I'm beginning to notice a trend.

HK12K said:
Third package arrived today. This time with a return address in Malaysia.

Think I'm beginning to notice a trend.
Not good China hiding the point of origin. Not good at all.

I have 4 packages from China that I received in the last month sitting in ziplock bags, and unopened. As an ol' guy just doing an abundance of caution till we know for sure the life of the virus on paper and plastic and electronic parts.

Edit: the federal reserve is now quarantining all US bank notes coming from Asian countries... interesting!

Just got a message from a seller in Poland from whom I was attempting to order a throttle. Was just advised that their courier company has ceased all international shipments effective immediately and until further notice due to the coronavirus

HK12K said:
Just got a message from a seller in Poland from whom I was attempting to order a throttle. Was just advised that their courier company has ceased all international shipments effective immediately and until further notice due to the coronavirus
was at Lee Valley Tools getting some neodymium magnets today, the ones I wanted I knew wouldn't be in til april.3 but asked for them at the counter anyway. now theyre saying not til april.16.

goatman said:
HK12K said:
was at Lee Valley Tools getting some neodymium magnets today, the ones I wanted I knew wouldn't be in til april.3 but asked for them at the counter anyway. now theyre saying not til april.16.

Yeesh. Not a good time to be in a hurry for parts.

What size were you looking for, out of curiosity?

HK12K said:
goatman said:
HK12K said:

Yeesh. Not a good time to be in a hurry for parts.

What size were you looking for, out of curiosity?
ring magnets 1/4 diameter x 1/16 hole x 1/8 thick but got 3/8x1/8x1/8 for now to play with.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/ring/40075-rare-earth-ring-magnets

goatman said:
ring magnets 1/4 diameter x 1/16 hole x 1/8 thick but got 3/8x1/8x1/8 for now to play with.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/rare-earth-magnets/magnets/ring/40075-rare-earth-ring-magnets

Ah, I have some 20x10x2mm's on hand and don't expect to use all of them so would have offered a few if they were what you were looking for.

Back