Choosing new battery

[*]Hello , i just bought a 2020 KHS 3000 FAT EBIKE and i am still learning about ebikes . My question is , with the Luna Ludicrous 2500w BBSHD controller that i bought with it , i was told that the best suited battery to go with it would be a large 7 or 8P triangle pack made out of high power cells (GA , PF , 25R or 30Q) . Can you confirm or deny this so i can purchase the best suited battery for my brand new bike which hasn't even arrived yet !?!?! . I did some battery searching on your website and found this battery . Once again i ask you to please help me in matching my new bike with the best battery available . So you know , i'm trying to go the fastest m.p.h. and the longest distance in miles on one fully charged battery . Please help me pick my battery !!! Thanks
This is the battery from your website that looks good to me , but i need a technicians assistance in choosing :
TRIANGLE 52V PANASONIC GA 18650 28AH PACK GIANT RANGE + HIGH POWER

Yes , i would like to add this battery to my new 2020 KHS 3000 FAT EBIKE , but as my post indicates , i need help choosing the right one .

https://lunacycle.com/triangle-52v-panasonic-ga-18650-28ah-pack-giant-range-high-power/

999zip999 said:
Do you have a link to this battery that you're talking about ?

Yes , can you help me find a good battery ?!?!

https://lunacycle.com/triangle-52v-panasonic-ga-18650-28ah-pack-giant-range-high-power/

Yes sir that is a good choice because he's here in the good old us of a like yourself. Where do you live ? As Eric of Luna cycle as a place in business in Torrance so then goes wrong you can punch him in the nose. I don't know how you going to punch Paul in Hong Kong in the nose or La ping. But Ping
battery would bend over backwards to please you as long as you ask him and tell him what's wrong . Uup has no love as a customer support system

Hey man , i don't understand your response . I live in Trophy Town . If you don't know where that is , ask Larry Bird , Tom Brady , Curt Schilling or Stan Jonathan vs Pierre Bouchard . Please re-think your response .

He just meant buying domestically gives you better chance of after-sales support or warranty satisfaction.

But I am skeptical of that myself. Mr Ping having such a stellar reputation may be the better choice.

Thank you . I already bought my KHS 3000 FAT EBIKE , 19" size Large Ebike from Luna Cycles in California . I live in Boston and haven't received my bike yet . I am a a complete newbie novice and am learning tons everyday about these bikes . My original question that no one seems to be able to answer is ; with my brand new Luna Ludicrous 50amp 2500w BBSHD controller that i bought with my bike , what is the BEST SUITED BATTERY i can buy (price being no object) , that will get me going the FASTEST M.P.H. SPEED , AND THE LONGEST DISTANCE IN MILES !?!?!?!?!?!?!!!
Can anyone answer this question ..............

This is the link for the controller (motor) i bought with the bike :

https://youtu.be/qy6X3gDLr9o

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
[*]Hello , i just bought a 2020 KHS 3000 FAT EBIKE and i am still learning about ebikes . My question is , with the Luna Ludicrous 2500w BBSHD controller that i bought with it , i was told that the best suited battery to go with it would be a large 7 or 8P triangle pack made out of high power cells (GA , PF , 25R or 30Q) . Can you confirm or deny this so i can purchase the best suited battery for my brand new bike which hasn't even arrived yet !?!?! . I did some battery searching on your website and found this battery . Once again i ask you to please help me in matching my new bike with the best battery available . So you know , i'm trying to go the fastest m.p.h. and the longest distance in miles on one fully charged battery . Please help me pick my battery !!! Thanks
This is the battery from your website that looks good to me , but i need a technicians assistance in choosing :
TRIANGLE 52V PANASONIC GA 18650 28AH PACK GIANT RANGE + HIGH POWER
Great White Shark, you write like youre asking Luna a question
it seems like you are trying to advertise their products here on ES.
the 52v ga 28ah pack comes with a bms rated at 50amp continuous
is luna not answering your questions?

Nope , i do NOT work for Luna Cycle . I have reached out for help from Luna , but they are 3000 miles away and don't respond on weekends . I bought my Ebike from Luna Cycle WITHOUT buying a battery and i was told that Endless Sphere was a good place to get answers . So once again i ask ,
WHAT IS A GOOD BATTERY FOR THE EBIKE I BOUGHT ?!?!?!

Nope , i do NOT work for Luna Cycle . I have reached out for help from Luna , but they are 3000 miles away and don't respond on weekends . I bought my Ebike from Luna Cycle WITHOUT buying a battery and i was told that Endless Sphere was a good place to get answers . So once again i ask ,
WHAT IS A GOOD BATTERY FOR THE EBIKE I BOUGHT ?!?!?!

well I would say the 52v 28ah battery sounds like the one id buy but if Luna has crappy customer service and wont reply then I personally wouldn't buy from them.

its kind of funny that you go buy the name great white shark. theres multiple news stories out of Chicago about a great white shark named Luna. heres a link about how researchers track Luna. kind of funny

https://www.geek.com/news/15-foot-2100-pound-great-white-shark-is-traveling-up-the-carolinas-trackers-show-1787204/

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa , too funny !
Ya , i haven't had much correspondence with them as i just bought the bike and haven't even received it yet to me here in Boston . They seem genuinely concerned corresponding to them on the phone , but when i ask them hardcore technical questions , they don't have anyone to actually speak with real time on the phone . They only give second and third party responses from their true technician mechanics thru Email , and i gutta tell ya , i'm a green green newbie novice to this new found Ebike game and this is very discouraging to me . That's why i'm here . I was told this is a good site to get answers . It seems i'm gonna have to relearn all my forgotten EAR and PIE formulas to really know what the frock i'm doing . I know they don't wanna divulge any of their precious trade secrets , but you most definitely wanna keep your customer happy . I'm up to @ $7,000 bucks and i don't even have my bike yet . With that said , i hope i can maximize my 50amp Luna Ludicrous 2500w BBSHD controller/motor potential WITH a battery that i can't even seem to get a straight answer to WHICH BATTERY TO BUY for maximum m.p.h. and miles I can travel on 1 full battery charge !?!?!?!? 😠
Somewhat discouraged , but i will eventually figure it out . Thank you to everyone who did respond , i appreciate it .
Time for me to hit the books

My original question that no one seems to be able to answer is ; with my brand new Luna Ludicrous 50amp 2500w BBSHD controller that i bought with my bike , what is the BEST SUITED BATTERY i can buy (price being no object) , that will get me going the FASTEST M.P.H. SPEED , AND THE LONGEST DISTANCE IN MILES !?!?!?!?!?!?!!!
hope i can maximize my 50amp Luna Ludicrous 2500w BBSHD controller/motor potential WITH a battery that i can't even seem to get a straight answer to WHICH BATTERY TO BUY for maximum m.p.h. and miles I can travel on 1 full battery charge
Patience man, the shouting just make you seem entitled.

The conversations here get convoluted, many of the most knowledgeable members might only check in once or twice a week, let things unfold make your repeated "nudges" a bit more gentle and polite, you are asking volunteers for help.

Pack sellers are mostly scamming fraudsters, those very few respected sellers charge so much and have such limited offerings, most serious hobbyists here just buy known-good cells and build the pack they need for a given bike themselves.

Then there are endless threads debating which cells are best.

The battery is indeed important, but there are dozens of variables involved, relationship with what the bike loaded + the motor needs, variables within your use case, power density vs energy density

not just a once off simple answer.

For top speed you need high voltage.

Find out what the limit of your controller is, being conservative if you want decent longevity.

For range you need Ah capacity, and of course going to a higher voltage and/or driving faster really cuts down on how far you can go, by **a lot**.

As does the weight of your bike fully loaded.

As do any hills on your route.

Doing most of the work with your legs is the opposite, greatly extends your range.

The hard limits of maximizing Ah capacity are:

1 the **energy** (not power) density of the cells pkus your overall pack construction technique, and

2 how big & heavy a pack are you willing to carry? Some might even have 2-3 packs and swap them in and out or parallel-combine so keep it light most rides, then load up for long hauls, can even use a backpack or modules in a basket or rear rack.

So now it's time for you to respond with your reactions, thoughts and preferences. The more details you give us, answer all the questions implied by the above factoids, the more valuable the feedback will be for you.

Thank you for your response . I guess it may look impolite and i apologize .
It seems i thought that people weren't getting my question , asking me the same questions i had already asked and then not answering my seemingly singular question and then asking me if i was affiliated with Luna Cycle , which i am not . My only affiliation with Luna Cycle is i bought it from them . This is an intense hobby and i have much to learn . I understand the mechanics , just need more knowledge with the electrical . My main concern is i need a battery to drive my controller/ motor that i bought from Luna Cycle . I'm still not sure which battery to get but i do know my controller is a 50amp Luna Ludicrous 2500v BBSHD . With that said , i'd like to drive my new vehicle as fast and far as possible off a singular fully charged battery . So this is where i have more to learn . It seems from my knowledgeable friends that i shouldn't exceed the limits of my controller (in amperage i guess) ? This is where i need more knowledge in acquiring max performance and i realize this will require time and study to perfect . It seems i may end up going with the "triangle 52v Panasonic GA 18650 28ah pack" ? I was told by more learned people that i should look for a large 7 or 8P triangle pack made out of high power cells (GA , PF , 25R or 30Q) . Thanks again for your response and i will heed your advice .

What ? That battery on paper looks great for your needs Eric and his beautiful grirl friend should make your ticket. Do let us know how it works out because I need to buy a battery soon also. My old handmade battery needs a new brother even though it's six and a half years old 24,000 miles 1490 charge cycles. Is just too heavy.

Yes E.S. can be a rough crowd but there's a lot of help here and just hang in and do support us if you bought that pack and let us know how Eric at Luna is taking care of his customers thank you bro

My main concern is i need a battery to drive my controller/ motor that i bought from Luna Cycle . I'm still not sure which battery to get but i do know my controller is a 50amp Luna Ludicrous 2500v BBSHD . With that said , i'd like to drive my new vehicle as fast and far as possible off a singular fully charged battery
That is all repeated, no new information to help us help you. You need to make some efforts here too.

Go back, absorb carefully my last post, and please give your responses to each of the choices/options/implied questions there.

> It seems i may end up going with the "triangle 52v Panasonic GA 18650 28ah pack" ?

That may be fine I dunno. Have you searched for authoritative posts, test results etc discussing that cell?

Is that voltage as high as your controller can handle, or will it limit your top speed?

> I was told by more learned people that i should look for a large 7 or 8P triangle pack made out of high power cells (GA , PF , 25R or 30Q)

And what has your research taught you about how they compare, pro's and con's? 30Q drop off your list I know that.

> It seems from my knowledgeable friends that i shouldn't exceed the limits of my controller (in amperage i guess) ?

Nope only voltage. The **ability** of your bank to deliver amps and Ah should be as high as possible.

The way you ride, use the throttle and your controller will limit what you draw from the pack.

Ok , thank you . It seems i need to do some research .

"is that voltage as high as your controller can handle, or will it limit your top speed?"

This is something i must find out . I'm probably repeating again but was told my controller/motor i have now is rated at 50amp and 2500w ?

Voltage is voltage, amps and watts are not voltage.

What is the maximum rated voltage that won't stress the controller?

Watts is usually more "flexible" a rating, sometimes even fictional.

Amps depends on temperature, weight, speed, slope of hills along your route and desired acceleration.

Or have you decided that range is more important to you, since going faster is in opposition to range?

Just because you **can** go 5mph faster by going 12V higher, does not mean you should.

That is a decision only you can make.

Thanks again my friend . I will definitely do some looking into this controller/motor . I don't even have it yet . It's coming from California .

Thanks you

Better to have all the info from detailed documentation online before ever pulling the trigger.

Just talk to Luna, they are supposed to be supporting you.

Back