Choosing new battery

Obviously they will reco their own, which might be just fine.

I meant get the detailed specs on the controller

"what is the maximum voltage it will work with, without causing the components too much stress?"

Maybe also "what (lower) voltage will be a good balance of performance and give me a nice long range?"

since you still have not answered which of those factors is of most relative importance for you.

Look at the Grin simulator, see if your gear is in there maybe you can see what speed vs range you get for your commute patterns at the two different voltages.

Or maybe others more knowledgeable than I can advise between the two choices, might be worth starting a new thread for just that topic when you know your options.

But really, you need to give more details about your use case and priorities or we're just stabbing in the dark.

@Carcharodon Carcharias
Just so you know... there is a thread about testing different cells how they age at load and GA, 30Q and PF is among the worst performers of the cells being tested.

Ageing chart:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=269518

And the thread itself:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103092

No, but you mentioned all these batteries at your initial post.
If you don't want my advice then please forget what I said.
I was just trying to be friendly and help you out.

an 8p pack pulling 50 to 60 amps to go as fast and as far as possible, I would use the 30q. we know what the lifecycle test of a 30q at 7amp discharge is after 750 cycles thanks to okashira, I think it was 2000mah after 750cycles

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68556&start=50#p1058345

8p pack @7amps/cell= 56amps continuous, after doing that 750 times to a 30q you still have 2000mah

Honk said:
@Carcharodon Carcharias
Just so you know... there is a thread about testing different cells how they age at load and GA, 30Q and PF is among the worst performers of the cells being tested.

Ageing chart:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=269518

And the thread itself:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103092

And then you need to learn more, study the threads google the keywords.

Experts disagree, how you learn.

Avoid 30Q, unless much cheaper than its betters, inconsistency in QA means X% of cells need replacing while pack is only 30% through its cycle lifespan.

Or just buy that Luna one, and track your usage and lifespan, so you can let us know how it performs.

Some people think he sucks, but many say his packs are at least OK.

Which is 100x better than what you're likely to get from a random Ali store.

Or check out Mr Ping, hundreds of nothing but rave reviews there.

if you look at those charts they are a valuable resource but the tests are done at 2.5amp discharge so if you want those results you would need 20p@2.5amps/cell to run 50 amp continuous. 52v is 14s so you would need 280-18650 cells in the pack.

the pack would be big and heavy around 32pounds but at 60+ah you could go very far and very fast for a very long time

I guess you need to decide how big of a battery you can fit or want on your bike

if you look at the luna wolf pack you get a choice of cells mj1 or 30q, if you plan on using high amps continuously they recommend the 30q for the higher amp bms. im surprised no one else here has been defending the 30q. heres the link.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-wolf-v2-52v-battery-pack/

heres a test of the mj1

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45838

Goatman , for that 52v Luna Wolf battery , they have a choice of either the Samsung 30q 13ah or the LG
MJ1 13.5ah .
I ordered a completely different battery . I ordered the 52v Direwolf battery with 21ah 14s6p - 84 cells

I have absolutely no idea what that means , but i hope the battery i chose is the fastest longest lasting battery i could get . I know in time i'll figure out all the numbers .

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
Goatman , for that 52v Luna Wolf battery , they have a choice of either the Samsung 30q 13ah or the LG
MJ1 13.5ah .
I ordered a completely different battery . I ordered the 52v Luna Direwolf battery with 21ah 14s6p - 84 cells

I have absolutely no idea what that means , but i hope the battery i chose is the fastest longest lasting battery i could get . I know in time i'll figure out all the numbers .
MJ1 13.5ah .
I ordered a completely different battery . I ordered the 52v Direwolf battery with 21ah 14s6p - 84 cells

And i have no idea how it performs yet because i haven't received my new bike yet . I will get it in about a week . I've been trying to get advice from some of these learned people out but it seems alot of them i think regard me as suspect ? For what reason i have no clue .

And i have no idea how it performs yet because i haven't received my new bike yet . I will get it in about a week . I've been trying to get advice from some of these learned people out but it seems alot of them i think regard me as suspect ? For what reason i have no clue .
im the one that thinks youre Luna lol
6p is how many batteries are connected in each parallele group. its how you figure out how many amps you can use
an lg mj1 is rated as 10 amp max and 3500ah so 6p you can pull a max of 60amps and it provides 21amp hours. every time you connect another parallel group in series your voltage goes up by 4.2v so a 52v battery has 14 parallel groups connected in series for a fully charged voltage of 58.8 volts.
your motor is 2500 watts. amps times volts equals watts 58.8v x 50 amps= 2940watts . when your battery is dead 3.2v x14= 44.8v
in order to get 2500watts from a dead battery, 2500/44.8= 55.8 amps.
if youre pulling 55amps with a low battery, divide by 6= 9amps per cell
youre fine with the battery you bought but it wont get the same lifecycle. the mj1 test showed at 7 amp continuous discharge it doesn't overheat, good but from 4.2v to 3.2v it only delivers about 2350mah if I remember correctly so you only about 14.1ah out of the pack. if you are pulling 7amps per cell x 6p= 42amps so whats that 20 minutes of run time? ill double check the mj1 chart

Oh ya , now i see what you're getting at .............
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !
Said me never or at least a very long time .
I gutta go back to school with your schooling . I appreciate your time bro , but i really do need to sit down and start reading !!!

I don't know mid drive bbshd? im a dd person but I never pull 50amps continuously, im usually running around 25 amps continuously and only pull 50 amps from a stop or flying up a hill.
so if that winds up being the way you ride then 25amps/6p= 4 amps per cell, you probably made a good choice, especially if you look at docwares charts where the mj1 resistance seems to be running flat, those members doing the testing know what theyre doing and they seem to really. like the LG batteries. I think it has something to do with the graphite anode or is it cathode.
I guess what im saying is, if your not pulling 50 amps continuously, good choice

if you are pulling 50 amps continuous share with us how the pack is performing

great white shark is now a guinea pig :thumb:

Back