Choosing new battery

I'm a green newbie layman to this Ebike world .
Goatman , i just wasn't sure what point you were making on your message before this one . Can i ask again what exactly was your point ? Not being a wise guy , i truly didn't understand .

EM3ev and be done with it. Luna Shark packs are no better than UPP. Both budget batts but UPP is better at warranty coverage and less xpensive. Which sock puppet is Luna?

Lesson in searching, pay attention to the syntax

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aendless-sphere.com+MJ-1

Note that MJ1 , MJ-1 and "MJ 1" (with a space)

are all covered by using a dash

tomjasz said:
EM3ev and be done with it. Luna Shark packs are no better than UPP. Both budget batts but UPP is better at warranty coverage and less xpensive. Which sock puppet is Luna?
Are you saying that only Luna Shark batteries are meh, are there other ones that are better?

Or saying to avoid Luna for packs full stop, at least compared to those other two?

Are there other pack builders you do recommend, as highly as those?

For stateside, someone building packs out of their garage will be fine. Do not care about warranty or after-sales support, long as they have a good rep for integrity and consistent build quality.

Especially interested (but not only) in custom packs built to my spec'd design, where I would drop ship the cells for them to use.

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
What does "Which sock puppet is Luna" mean ?
The unethical practice of pretending to be an objective member but in secret shilling for a vendor.

A huge part of PR firm business these days, aka "social media marketing" and also includes bad reviews against competitors.

Sometimes corrupt forum owners, subreddit mods etc earn money that way.

Hey john61ct , i'm new out here , but it seems to me alotta people out here have some animosity towards Luna Cycle ? I thought it was me at first , but it's Luna . I could care less . I did however buy my first Ebike from them . Of which i haven't even received my bike from them yet .

Yes, if you use the googling site: keyword like I showed you

you'll see a whole lot of unhappy past customers, bad service reports even claims he is a rip-off merchant.

But then that is still much better than with many if not most direct-from China sellers, at least if he's on the same continent you stand a chnce of having a little leverage to get satisfaction.

Many customers also report getting what they paid for, eventually.

Just trying to add a little useful information....mainly for those just getting started or needing some info. Experience folks will find the info below redundant :D .

IMO you have four basic choices when it comes to buying batteries and other ebike parts...in no particular order and with my opinions:

A. Grin Tech...best technical support anywhere, they provide this forum for us to communicate, they concentrate mainly on Direct Drive and Geared Hub motors but they do sell a kit that allows you to use their Phaserunner controller with a BBSHD.

B. EM3ev...best option for batteries but they are located in China so it takes a little longer and if you have a problem it is a challenge to resolve issues, tech support is pretty good just takes a few days to get an answer. Best prices even after shipping but again it takes a little while. Their claim to fame is their batteries but they do have the best prices I can find on the Bafang Mid Drives and the MAC Geared Hub motors. I am a huge fan of the MAC but it does have some limitations :wink: .

C. California Ebikes...good tech support and best place to find parts for the Bafang mid drive motors that you can't find anywhere else.

D. Luna...located in the US, their new fully potted Wolf pack looks pretty durable but if it has any problems no clue how you would access anything to replace it so goods and bads. I have gotten some good tech support and some that is lacking so it is sort of hit and miss. A lot of their parts are just repackaged parts from China but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
[*]Hello , i just bought a 2020 KHS 3000 FAT EBIKE and i am still learning about ebikes . My question is , with the Luna Ludicrous 2500w BBSHD controller that i bought with it , i was told that the best suited battery to go with it would be a large 7 or 8P triangle pack made out of high power cells (GA , PF , 25R or 30Q) . Can you confirm or deny this so i can purchase the best suited battery for my brand new bike which hasn't even arrived yet !?!?! . I did some battery searching on your website and found this battery . Once again i ask you to please help me in matching my new bike with the best battery available . So you know , i'm trying to go the fastest m.p.h. and the longest distance in miles on one fully charged battery . Please help me pick my battery !!! Thanks
This is the battery from your website that looks good to me , but i need a technicians assistance in choosing :
TRIANGLE 52V PANASONIC GA 18650 28AH PACK GIANT RANGE + HIGH POWER

I'd go with a 14s6p triangle pack from EM3ev with 25R cells. That is what I am running with my Ludicrous controller. Depending on how and where you ride, you might want to limit your amperage a little. I ride off road only in tight single track trails and I have mine set to 50A (25A setting which equals 50A since the controller doubles whatever you set). Any more than 50A and the front wheel tends to come off the ground when I hammer it coming off a corner. I am running a 28 front gear from Lekkie and a 22 tooth White Industries freewheel with 72 engagement points along with a Maxxis 27.5x3.00 rear tire at about 14 psi. I cleaned and greased my motor when I installed the Ludicrous controller and used Mobil 1 SHC 100...after talking to the engineers at Mobil. Never had any problems with my Nylon gear.

Back