• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Components of a High Speed Fat Tire Electric bike

I prefer the 29x3 (called 29+) tire size over 26x4 fat bikes. Notably lighter tire/rim combo and larger diameter = smoother ride.

http://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_5kSLWptfYqy_600x450.jpg

Bike is 30# stock, mid drive kit adds less than 20#.

Running single speed. 44 x 18T. Flat where I live. Tops at around 28mph. Been considering switching to 16 or 17T at rear.

goodgnus said:
I prefer the 29x3 (called 29+) tire size over 26x4 fat bikes. Notably lighter tire/rim combo and larger diameter = smoother ride.

A 29+ is not riding smoother than a 26X4, but sure is better for speeding. Then, very limited choice of rubber in 29+ :wink:

A smoother ride is with suspension. Fat tires and lower PSI are not giving much more than 1 inch positive and half an inch negative absorpsion. I find them hard tail fat bikes are all harsh rides, compared to the 10 inches of suspension travel that I am used to ride.

Rhino,

How do your long travel bikes handle winter weather - snow particularly - compared to a Fatbike?

On loose snow, a fatbike does better and the 5 inch wheels even better. On hard pack snow trails, a 2.7 or 3.0 mud tire with suspension does much better.

Back