Controller tuning or mods for more volt or amps ?

DogDipstick said:
Looks like a " STOCK" vs a " SHUNT MOD"...

Thats a shunt modification. Tyhe lower picture. There is nothing affecting the " clock": that I see.

Right, I would consider it a hall sensor bypass mod but it seems many people call it overclocked, I’m not sure why.

Double post

Eastwood said:
Sparfuchs said:
So "overclocking" is something different than shunt mod and only works with adjustable controllers ?

Well it’ll work with any controller I’m just suggesting with the adjustable controllers it could be safer.

overclocking will give you double phase amps while a shunt mod will give you way less of an increase.

the shunt mod is way less extreme you might be gaining 5 or 10% more amps compared to double phase amps.

If your battery can handle it and your motor can handle it overclocking can be done safely but again I would play it safe and just get the new controller.
The battery and the motor can handle it for sure but i'm concerned about the controller. On one hand you call shunt mod way less extreme than overclocking but on the other hand you say overclocking can be done safely ? I'm not gonna try it with my kelly controllers but with the cheap Chinese controllers of my 1500W hub motor kits. So how do i do overclocking ?

Eastwood said:
Stock vs overclocked
Thanks a lot for finding the pics.
to me it looks like the only difference is that there is a second wire soldered to two of the phase connectors ? Or does the "blue box" do anything to the phase wire that goes through it ? And the second wire avoids the step that blue box does ?

DogDipstick said:
I have honestly thought, researched, and looked into " modding" kelly controllers for more current / voltage / power. Some have tried. I have looked..

I think Kelly used the actual busses from the UVW FET banks in the inverter to measure the current. Not much to modify there.. but dont quote me on this. Tehre must be a way to reprogram the ECU MCU processor boot load logic. Reflashed or something.. but IDK. I would love to hack mine up in experimentation if I had concrete help.
Thanks for reply DogDipstick,
at least i know now and can accept that there is no way to easily do it :)

Sparfuchs said:
The battery and the motor can handle it for sure but i'm concerned about the controller. On one hand you call shunt mod way less extreme than overclocking but on the other hand you say overclocking can be done safely ? I'm not gonna try it with my kelly controllers but with the cheap Chinese controllers of my 1500W hub motor kits. So how do i do overclocking ?

with the typical shut mod people just add globs of solder to the rails. I think we’re talking 10 maybe 20 A max with this.

With this mod as they call it overclocking you’re basically bypassing the blue boxes which are hall sensors. Those sensors read how much current is passing through so when you bypass those sensors you then get double phase amps. There still current flowing through the factory phase wires inside the controller but also the same amount of current is flowing around the hall sensors feeding your motor :mrgreen:

But try this at your own risk if the controller doesn’t have Bluetooth function or adjustable in general, Because when you do this I would lower everything down 50% and then work your way up slowly so you don’t blow anything up :bolt:
With a controller that’s not adjustable you could blow the MOSFETs

Sparfuchs said:
Eastwood said:
Sparfuchs said:
So "overclocking" is something different than shunt mod and only works with adjustable controllers ?

Well it’ll work with any controller I’m just suggesting with the adjustable controllers it could be safer.

overclocking will give you double phase amps while a shunt mod will give you way less of an increase.

the shunt mod is way less extreme you might be gaining 5 or 10% more amps compared to double phase amps.

If your battery can handle it and your motor can handle it overclocking can be done safely but again I would play it safe and just get the new controller.

Oh so I’m calling the shut mod less extreme because it’s only minimum amp increase, while the overclock method doubles your phase amps.

I've some more questions to the bypass mod:

So this sensors in the controller only measure the amps of two phase wires to the motor, right ? So does the controller know by calculation/physical law how the phase amps are related to the drawn dc amps or how does it make sure it uses my dc current settings (without mod) ? Do we/you also know how exactly phase and dc amps are related ?

And does that also mean that the third "unsensored" phase wire will have to handle more current because it's the only one that is't doubled ? Usually the three phase wires of the motor should be same length (cause of same resistance I guess).. So is it a problem with the "balance" if one of three phases in the controller has more resistance than the others ?

Any updates on this? I have a sabvoton 7245 everything is okay except for the soft start that is set on default. I would like to have a faster acceleration. Thanks everyone

Back