Custom frame for the Cyclone Coaxial motor

Chambers said:
Buckow said:
Amazing work. Out of curiosity what leverage ratios did you end up using? It looks like a nice rising rate linkage similar to the old Turner DH bikes.
Thanks! Yes very similar to a 2006ish Turner DHR. Leverage ratio is about 3.07 - 66 mm stroke with around 204 mm wheel travel (2.6 inches x 8 inches)
I may need to add a heavier spring (currently 550lbs) but I'll wait and see how it all pans out.

Nice! Those worked great!
If you make 2 shock mount holes on the front shock mount you can change the progression easily and have an extra adjustment if you want to tune it. Sometimes that is a helpful tool if you don’t have a lot of different springs. If 200mm travel is your goal then I would consider a 240mm x 75mm stroke shock or a 225x75 metric standard shock or at least leave room for that in your frame design. High leverage ratio from the 66mm shock might need a 600 to 700lbs spring and then your rebound damping will struggle to control the wheel. It looks like you have 32% of progression but possibly a highish starting point.

Buckow said:
Chambers said:
Buckow said:
Amazing work. Out of curiosity what leverage ratios did you end up using? It looks like a nice rising rate linkage similar to the old Turner DH bikes.
Thanks! Yes very similar to a 2006ish Turner DHR. Leverage ratio is about 3.07 - 66 mm stroke with around 204 mm wheel travel (2.6 inches x 8 inches)
I may need to add a heavier spring (currently 550lbs) but I'll wait and see how it all pans out.

Nice! Those worked great!
If you make 2 shock mount holes on the front shock mount you can change the progression easily and have an extra adjustment if you want to tune it. Sometimes that is a helpful tool if you don’t have a lot of different springs. If 200mm travel is your goal then I would consider a 240mm x 75mm stroke shock or a 225x75 metric standard shock or at least leave room for that in your frame design. High leverage ratio from the 66mm shock might need a 600 to 700lbs spring and then your rebound damping will struggle to control the wheel. It looks like you have 32% of progression but possibly a highish starting point.

Yeah good idea about the two shock mount points - Thanks

OK a bit off topic but looking for some opinions/advice....
If you've been following along you'll remember I blew a coil off the board of my welder (pics below) I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is D.I.Y fixable and how to do it?20210611_161104.jpg
20210611_161130.jpg20210611_155945.jpg20210611_160108.jpg Not really time sensitive since I have another welder already but I'd like to be able to sell one of them once this one is repaired to free up some more project funds.

Below is a link to the schematic (pages 33 and 34)

https://files.irs.wisnz.co.nz/nzspm...IM7908-1 Powercraft 210&250C MIG (Final).pdf

Looking closely at the diagram it doesn't seem to match the PCB :roll: or perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly... Capture.JPG2.JPG

Chambers said:
Looking closely at the diagram it doesn't seem to match the PCB :roll: or perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly... Capture.JPG2.JPG

I would be looking for electronics repair advice in a completely different place. Perhaps eevblog forum.

Tommm said:
Chambers said:

I would be looking for electronics repair advice in a completely different place. Perhaps eevblog forum.
Yeah I've put the feelers out in a few places - you never know who might be reading...

Deafcat said:
Hey Chambers, how's this bike coming along? Interested to see more!

Thanks! Slowly slowly creeping along - I'll try to post some pics at some point this week.

Any updates?
I’m considering this motor with the left handed drive version like you are using.

Skaiwerd said:
Any updates?
I’m considering this motor with the left handed drive version like you are using.

Not really any notable progress - I've been a bit distracted building my CNC... hoping to get her up and running over the christmas break... thanks for the push though probably just what I needed!

Yet another promising project stalled with the woes of home hobbyist CNC... best of luck, I do think it's always smarter to outsource the CNC milling/laser/etc.

Owning a finnicky CNC, at best, you'll break even (best case scenario!). Applying time and skills to design is more important, leave the cutting to a jobbing shop, and if you get a good price you can actually make money. Same goes for 3D printing, a cheap printer will get a few things done, but is no substitute for high-quality parts from Shapeways or such (or an expensive, reliable printer).

I do hope your CNC project goes well though! Most people make the mistake of trying to learn machining, CNC setup+operation, AND machine tool building all at the same time, and this is why they encounter many troubles.

Deafcat said:
Yet another promising project stalled with the woes of home hobbyist CNC... best of luck, I do think it's always smarter to outsource the CNC milling/laser/etc.

Owning a finnicky CNC, at best, you'll break even (best case scenario!). Applying time and skills to design is more important, leave the cutting to a jobbing shop, and if you get a good price you can actually make money. Same goes for 3D printing, a cheap printer will get a few things done, but is no substitute for high-quality parts from Shapeways or such (or an expensive, reliable printer).

I do hope your CNC project goes well though! Most people make the mistake of trying to learn machining, CNC setup+operation, AND machine tool building all at the same time, and this is why they encounter many troubles.
:lol: you're probably right.
For me the driver is that for the same money as a few parts would cost from a local shop I could buy an entire sheet of material and make 5x the same parts...
I guess growing up reasonably poor made me put a high value on self sufficiency that I still carry with me.
Everything on my build to date has been made by hand probably for the same reason and there's a certain satisfaction in doing something completely by yourself.

But you're still probably right :lol:

Cnc isn't too far off - primarily it will be a Cnc plasma cutter which are fairly easy to operate and should increase my speed on other projects substantially- at least thats the plan.

Cheers

Compoundbike said:
Any news on this? I have been looking in to a Coaxial frame.

Thanks for the interest - a few things have been done since the last post - I'll take some pics this evening. currently waiting on parts that are on a VERY slow boat.

A bunch of body work done 20211231_122834 (2).jpg Then some 'fancy' paint20220102_161526.jpg20220103_101320.jpg Still got to wet sand and final coat. Bunch of parts on order etc.

Compoundbike said:
Looks great I have been looking for the Cyclone Motor, but their Frame is so so... This looks much better.

Thanks - it's just revision 1, once I have some time in the seat I have lots of plans already to make it better

I’m looking forward to seeing this thing built up! Let me know if you need any help setting up the suspension. This thing is going to rip!

Buckow said:
I’m looking forward to seeing this thing built up! Let me know if you need any help setting up the suspension. This thing is going to rip!

Thanks me too :lol: - might be in touch about the suspension depends how it goes.

Thanks

Any update on this build? Like the other commenter I briefly looked at the elite frame but also wasn't quite happy enough with it. Your frame on the other hand looks awesome with a lot of thought put into it. Can't wait to see a test ride video with it all built out and running. And I know you said currently nothing is for sale and you would make a separate post if you did but thought I would let you know there is definitely interest in something like this. A dengfu e22 and a m620 would cost alone around $2k, something I've looked into but who wants 1700 watts when the cyclone can do 6700w 8) . I can say I would want to be first in line for one if you did sell them, although I can't say my wallet would be :lol:

Bengy22 said:
Any update on this build? Like the other commenter I briefly looked at the elite frame but also wasn't quite happy enough with it. Your frame on the other hand looks awesome with a lot of thought put into it. Can't wait to see a test ride video with it all built out and running. And I know you said currently nothing is for sale and you would make a separate post if you did but thought I would let you know there is definitely interest in something like this. A dengfu e22 and a m620 would cost alone around $2k, something I've looked into but who wants 1700 watts when the cyclone can do 6700w 8) . I can say I would want to be first in line for one if you did sell them, although I can't say my wallet would be :lol:

Thanks!

Life has been pretty busy lately but it's still ticking along slowly - I'll post an update when some real process has been made.

Back