Cycle Analyst - still solid choice?

I like how much field testing and verification you're doing on this project. It's not really an alternative to CA without ESC unless I'm confused about how this typically gets included in a build.

Ghozt said:
But it lacks all throttle control, and I dont want to add it right now.
If you're looking to set expectations for ESC then here is a project that shows a lot of promise. I'm not affiliated .... just in awe of what some people, like you, do in their spare time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjsen0D2mE

CAv3 has nothing to do specifically with ESC

It is designed to work with (nearly?) any controller type.

john61ct said:

It doesn't even need to work with a controller to provide the "wattmeter" type of monitoring functions, but would require a controller with a throttle input to provide the non-monitor and protective functionality.

E-HP said:
Interested to hear more once you develop the throttle control part
Well... I implemented throttle in and out, brake input and torque sensor input in hardware - connecting pads, RC-filters and other stuff already exists on PCB. But I have no time to develop firmware for it. There are many tasks I have to complete on current "monitor-only" version. Even after 5 (yes, five) years of development there still much to do. I'll try to start develop throttle control this winter maybe

I dont like "override" in CA2, my throttle control is more like "CA3-style" - separate in and out

E-HP said:
john61ct said:

It doesn't even need to work with a controller to provide the "wattmeter" type of monitoring functions, but would require a controller with a throttle input to provide the non-monitor and protective functionality.
Requires an external current shunt also for power monitoring.....

I noticed the CAv3 has regen upgrades lately.
I have a 3kw moped (NIU NGK) which has partial regen. I am trying to research how best to get full variable regen. Would the CA3 be able to be used for this?

In his late video on regen at the bike show, Justin name checks Kelly controllers. I was planning to replace the controller in the bike with a Kelly having full regen, and bc I would then loose the dash I was going to replace the dash with a cycle analyst. But then I thought- could the CA V3 be spliced into my system, without need for replacing the controller at all?

pguk said:
I noticed the CAv3 has regen upgrades lately.
I have a 3kw moped (NIU NGK) which has partial regen. I am trying to research how best to get full variable regen. Would the CA3 be able to be used for this?

The controller itself must support variable regen (or any other direct-motor-control feature you want), otherwise all you can get is on/off (or whatever the controller itself supports), because the controller is what regulates current back and forth between it and the controller.

All the CA can do is monitor the various sensor inputs it has, process them via the settings you create, and generate a throttle signal to send to the controller.

What the controller does with it at that point depends on it's hardware, firmware, and any user-settings it may have.

If the controller supports variable regen controlled by it's throttle, then the CA can be used to modulate the throttle in whatever way you set it up to, in order to control the regen and the acceleration. If the controller requires an ebrake switch signal to engage the regen before it responds to the throttle as a variable control, then you'd need to run the ebrake switch signal to the controller (and to the CA if using any of the functions that require that signal).

If the controller supports variable regen via a separate input, and you want the CA to modulate the regen, the CA throttle output would have to be switched to it via a relay engaged by the ebrake signal, external to the CA, similar to the way I switch the throttle *input* in my thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105460

In his late video on regen at the bike show, Justin name checks Kelly controllers. I was planning to replace the controller in the bike with a Kelly having full regen, and bc I would then loose the dash I was going to replace the dash with a cycle analyst. But then I thought- could the CA V3 be spliced into my system, without need for replacing the controller at all?
The CA can be installed in any system, whether or not the controller has a "CA connector" (using the standalone version of the CA). What it can actually cause the system to do depends on the controller and the rest of the system.

Regarding Kelly, make sure you are actually getting what you need, because their ratings are not anything like the way other controllers are rated (peak motor phase current, rather than continuous battery current), and can be confusing / deceptive if you don't know this. Their software to setup the controllers (required to use them on your system before you can ride) is like pretty much all the others that use setup software: buggy, badly designed UI, poorly translated, etc. There are a lot of Kelly threads and posts here on the forum that have info about these issues you may wish to read first. Same for Sabvoton, Votol, Fardriver, Mobipus, ASI, etc etc.

If it's power level is suitable for you, Grin Tech's Phaserunner and other *runner controllers, based on the ASI hardware, have a much easier to use setup software, and probably better support. There have been problems, and again there are a lot of threads about these controllers that will help you make a decision.

:)

Back