Dear America,

http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/gun-advocates-are-right-we-should-compare-guns-to-cars/

Discuss :)

That will open up even more holes for disarming people and opening them up to abuses by government.
This is an attempt to impose rules to discourage use, that is all.

I don't like cars - they kill 3 times more people than guns do every year, and that's even with super heavy safety regulations already in place. They also take quite a toll on the environment compared to other forms of transit. Would i be right in suggesting you register your car twice a year, that the fuel tax be doubled, that you not be allowed to own certain types of cars ( even if you have a legitimate need - you can haul lumber in your Honda Accord - you don't need one of those deadly assault trucks for work! ), or things like that?

jonescg said:
http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/gun-advocates-are-right-we-should-compare-guns-to-cars/

I don't think that will really work. The corrupt legal arms dealers that bring most of the illegal guns into the country will still run, and criminals will continue to get guns from them. We need to shut down or heavily regulate the gun/ammunition industry for a gun licensing scheme to have a chance.

jonescg said:
Tinman says, hey strawman, how you doing? :wink: Talk about misrepresenting an argument...

Hah, that's what I was thinking :) Reminds me of Clint Eastwood yelling at a chair last year.

:lol:

fizzit said:
... that bring most of the illegal guns into the country will still run, and criminals will continue to get guns from them.

I thought all these guns were actually made in America that's where 99% of Australia's outlawed weapons came from :?

Anyway, the cars vs guns thing has obviously gone so far into sillyness it really doesn't matter any more. The that pro-sidearm blogger was suggesting that car licensing was too easy - I think most people would agree. But to assume that all of the faults with the car licensing system should be transplanted into the gun licensing system is dumb, and not what the comparison is about.

If you accept that there is a risk to public safety due to a necessary evil like cars, and they are regulated as such with licensing and enforcement, why not then apply the same approach to guns which evidently kill just as many people?

All firearms in Australia need to be licensed and stored properly, enforceable by fines or disqualification. We can still hunt, shoot targets, shoot waterfoul and eradicate vermin just like before. Except now the police and the public know that those who have been granted permission are demonstrably competent to a minimum level. And we get by just fine...

jonescg said:
I thought all these guns were actually made in America that's where 99% of Australia's outlawed weapons came from :?

Sorry, I misspoke. The guns are not necessarily "brought in" to the country. They are just sold under the table by corrupt federally licensed arms dealers and then reported as "missing." And our Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is woefully underequipped to do anything about it :roll:
But then a decent number of the guns used in crime are just bought legally by someone and then given to someone who could not pass the requirements otherwise. It seems that licensing firearms could help a lot with that, because if you can't account for the gun that you've purchased, then you're in trouble.

I dont pretent to have the answer to the gun situation .. but as usual i have an opinion.

Some people are just plain stupid. = That's the problem. you cant fix stupid.

Drugs, cars, coffee, sunburns, some people just dont get it, hurting themsleves needlessly.

Guns are here to stay, they will NEVER go away, not in my lifetime anyways, i dont care if my neighbor has 1 or 55 guns, and i dont.. i dont need protection form a gun or with a gun. this is canada eh.

Best thing imo, is education, people who want to own guns, need proper training.. but again.. you cant fix stupid and some hot headed well intended individuals will do rash things in the heat of the moment with guns that a baseball bat could also do, but not as quickly, sometimes...

bah.. my glass is empty.. time for a refill.

Thats a good outlook! especially if you never have a run in with a armed bugular or a carjacker or ect... any type of weird a$$ crackpot. I just dont live in an area where you can rest assured that you wont encounter this type . recently there was a burgular broke into a womens home while she and her two kids were there. she hid with her kids in a closet and the guy found her hiding so she shot him 5 times and he still drove away in his car before he died of his wonds. myself I think the mom is a hero to protect her kids and herself. only thing gun laws will do is keep guns out of lawful peoples hands. cuz the crooks will always have a gun, if they didnt have a gun they would not have the gonads to break into your home or rape and carjack. anyway to each his own.

jonescg said:
mark5 said:
jonescg said:

We license cars ... yackyackyack
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/04/we-license-cars-yackyackyack.html

Tinman says, hey strawman, how you doing? :wink: Talk about misrepresenting an argument...
What strawman. Gunter proposed we regulate guns just like we regulate motor vehicles and she gave specific examples. In her second point she proposes that the operator of a gun should be licensed and his license renewed just as she has to renew her own driver license. The gun rights advocate agrees with her.

mark5 said:
We license cars ... yackyackyack

Yeah, I remember when a writer for one of the car magazines had his restored classic parked in the lot at work. Along came the unlicensed 16 year old from a Katrina refugee family driving the family's unregistered, UNINSURED van to get Mom something at the store because she was feeling too peckish to go herself. . . .

. . . .The classic wasn't the only car in the lot destroyed when the kid lost control of the van. Yeah, how's this vehicle code working out for you back home?

5 thugs with pistols, and one grandma with a pistol. California wants to limit her to only ten rounds in her pistol, because...who needs more than ten rounds?

[youtube]PoDNJQtNVoc[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoDNJQtNVoc#t=1m09

So, if you're wondering how guns are perceived in the community in Australia;

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/us-shootings-spur-judge-in-gun-case/story-e6frg6nf-1226566861781

This story highlights how uncool it is to bring guns to school.

I bet the kid got a right floggin from his old man :lol:

So, you're wondering how guns are perceived by middle America;

[youtube]cHME8GN2yvk[/youtube]

From the frontlines dealing with drugged intruders, drugged dog eaters, drugged naked zombies. BAN THE DAMN DRUGS and we won't need so many guns! Oh, wait, the drugs ARE banned. So that means. . . .

ban assault Pills and pharmaceuticals first... second we need to ban assault militaries and governments

Thank you for your concern.

Prior to the newton tragedy, I recall seeing newspaper ads for Walmart and Dick's every Sunday advertising AR-15's for $600-700. It was common place and totally accepted by the public. You could even get ammo, a scope and some camo in the same shopping trip. Walmart could care less, they would sell fully armed Apache attack helicopters to the public if it meant making a buck. Pretty scary. Since the new year I have stopped seeing the black rifle picture in ANY advertisement, and the price has at minimum doubled, even tripled for true milspec AR's, which quite frankly is fine with me, as I don't like the idea of cheap rifles since it makes them accessible to lower income individuals which are typically less educated.

I personally own quite a few firearms, all licensed with the ATF. I also am a private citizen CPL holder, and Carry a Glock 22 gen4 everyday, and can fire 2" groups at 20 yards consistently with this firearm. I pray I never have to take another humans life, but if someone points a gun at me, I will, and am legally licensed and trained to do so. I've studied state and federal gun laws extensively, and have taken advanced training classes at the same facility that trains police and government. My guns are also stored in a manner that requires extensive knowledge on how to assemble guns in the event my safe is breached. Do I want to carry a gun all the time? No, not really, it's heavy and requires extra awareness, but I own a business that requires me to travel to areas I am unfamiliar with, often high crime areas of Detroit. It basically comes down to whether or not you are willing to become a victim to what is a realistic threat at the current time. For instance, I live in the nice part of town and a gas station 3 miles from my house was robbed at gunpoint last week.

My opinion is the real problem is pharmaceutical drugs, and mental health. People in America will pop any pill the doctor prescribes them without even looking up what it is or what it does, like a heard of sheep. Honestly I am more scared of RX drugs than I am guns. I would never take anything that comes in a bottle from the local drugstore, yet I see people eating them like candy.

Mental health is another issue. Everyone here wants to embrace disorders and try to find a "cure" to help and understand the mentally and criminally violent. Well wake up, even doctors and drugs aren't going to cure these people, the drugs just make things worse. Meanwhile, people like myself that legally own guns, train with them, and follow the law are being criminalized for wanting to protect ourselves from the crazy.

shock said:
People in America will pop any pill the doctor prescribes them without even looking up what it is or what it does, like a heard of sheep. Honestly I am more scared of RX drugs than I am guns. I would never take anything that comes in a bottle from the local drugstore, yet I see people eating them like candy.

The vast majority of the prescriptions for antipsychotics come from general practicioners at HMOs. The psychiatrists don't deserve nearly the blame people place on them. Summed up best by the experience of an acquaintance who was once an HMO doctor. He left because he was tired of listening to the complaints of his supervisors when the patients complained about him. The complaints would go something like: 'I told him I just wanted a few weeks worth while I'm dealing with this. . . .' and end with him refusing to pass out the zanax, prozac, etc. as though it was candy. The problem didn't entirely end with his leaving the HMO world, eventually he moved on to managing real estate investments, (Much better paying) barely working as a contract doctor here and there so he would be able to go back later if he decided to, but he talks of giving up even the parttime involvement.

Funny how these people demand these drugs that they don't need, but those who DO need them it can be near impossible to keep them taking them. There are those who do very well on antipsychotic drug therapy, but are determined to just stop taking them. . . .

I've been a volunteer working with the homeless, with the mentally ill and with rehabilitation from substance abuse. Don't think I could go back to being involved with any of it. The compete absence of rhyme or reason has become too much for me.

Miles said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912

Ammo, amass, amate.............

The funny and obvious flaw in that woman's logic, is thinking that imposing a law to restrict ownership of guns will impact the people who consciously choose not to follow the laws.

What any law restricting ownership of guns does effect, and exclusively effects/impacts, are people who follow laws owning guns.

I'm pretty sure weed has been illegal here in CA for plenty long enough, many series of decades, and I'm pretty sure enough billions of dollars of resources have been wasted and terrible harms done by cartels using people to smuggle it or turf wars over distribution in far away lands that used to supply CA etc. No shortage of people imprisoned for life over it, no shortage of bodies turned cold from people playing both sides of this insane game, and yet, I know I can walk to the local Jr. High, not even a High School, just a Jr. High, and with 100% certainty be able to score weed at a decent price and quality, without so much as even needing to make prior arrangements before hand. Just don't be a cop, ask a trouble maker looking kid who to get weed from, he might sell to you directly, might refer you to someone, either way you could source it easily with no credentials beyond some pocket cash, from kids under the legal age to even drive a car, in minutes of effort. (Yet, buying alcohol at a Jr. High would be more difficult, and oddly despite being a radically more harmful/dangerous/destructive drug, is available at the store down the street from the Jr. High for folks who can produces a card with droplets of ink arranged on its face in the right array of shapes) And this is something they've spent over a HUNDRED BILLION dollars and who knows how many lives of people involved in the game to stop. It's not just like it's a bad idea, it's like it involves insanity to even get lured towards the concept, or some radical mis-comprehension of the reality of the world, which may be the case for the people dreaming arranging dots of ink on paper can make guns vanish from the world (which frankly would be great, I think hunting with a bow is far more impressive anyways).

In 2005, the DEA seized a reported $1.4 billion in drug trade related assets and $477 million worth of drugs.[15] However, according to the White House's Office of Drug Control Policy, the total value of all of the drugs sold in the U.S. is as much as $64 billion a year,[16] making the DEA's efforts to intercept the flow of drugs into and within the U.S. less than 1% effective.

1% effective on stopping drug trade/sales, and this is after they've spent a cumulative total greater than 1 TRILLION dollars and many decades of trying things to stop drugs from being a part of the US. While simultaneously funding various divisions like CIA op's etc from selling/importing heroin and opium into other countries like Vietnam etc, and being shocked when some of our troops come back addicted.

Richard Branson has it right on here (as do other people who aren't either insane, or so detached from reality they think it's working).

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/opinion/branson-end-war-on-drugs

Dauntless said:
Chalo said:
Guns make white-- I mean GOOD-- good guys safer and better able to protect their loved ones from b-b-bl-- BAD guys. Just ask any American gun nut.

Now THAT particular outburst was racist in more ways that one. So the question is, should the Mexican/Latino/Hispanic community who were left out be thankful or insulted?

article-foxx1-1214.jpg

36 or 44? Looks like a 44. Mine is a 44 and it is a sweet shooting piece. Until it is stuffed with close to the max 40 grains, then it gives a lot of smoke and sparks, but, still not too much recoil. Nearby spectators say things like, Look at all the sparks!

Why don't you smear lard over the balls? A front end chain fire is not fun, so they say.

5 years ago I was down at the barbershop when a barber walk downstairs and a guy open his trunk it was full of all type of different guns I mean these guys are higher or middle class guys out in the alley with their guns or cherry bombs so to speak. Yes all for sale.

Back