Dear America,

contador said:
As for today 19 children killed...in Texas.

Given how Repuglican and how rural is the area where it happened, I'd be surprised if even one of those 19 kids lived in a household without guns. So this latest calamity is maybe not deserved... but nonetheless earned.

Earned? What ? your introverted personal victim blaming?

My wife the Connecticut teacher 'earned' ONE more day today with the police protection at work which she deserves.

Why aren't Police offices in schools?: You tell me smart bicycle guy !

Mebee?
Too many American criminal parents and non US Person criminals can't show their face to be arrested.
Too many kids might just be arrested for assaults in school.
Kids who threaten suicide be '1050'd' or 'Pink Papered' into a mental ward until a Doctor's release.
Medicated, for better or worse, but for always, by Big Pharma.

Stealth_Chopper said:

Why aren't Police offices in schools?: .......

They are in schools around here. I have been working with some poor high school kids helping to keep them out of trouble and they recently showed me photos of security guards on their campus in tactical gear including helmets. 9 or 10 of them. And that still doesn't guarantee that they can act fast enough to stop a school shooter. Police and security personal don't want to die so will take the tactical approach to stopping a shooter. By then people will have been shot by the crazy asshole with a gun.

A Navy Seal slogan..."Don't run to your death."

In SEAL teams, this is not a metaphor. When conducting raids that put you in close-quarters combat scenarios, restraint is often the best approach. Once you breach and gain entry to the target, being slow and methodical often wins the race. Hence the phrase, "Don't run to your death."

https://www.inc.com/brent-gleeson/7...al-sayings-will-kick-your-butt-into-gear.html

Stealth_Chopper said:
Earned? What ? your introverted personal victim blaming?

Live by the sword, die by the sword. That's not blaming; it's just observation.

I'll point out that none of the gun-toting dumb dicks in South Texas qualifies as a well-regulated militia. Well, here are some of the results of guns being in the hands of dumb dicks instead of well-regulated militias.

Yep, armed security guards don't want to die.....

UVALDE, Texas — The gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers in a rural Texas elementary school on Tuesday entered the building despite being confronted by an armed school security officer, then wounded two responding police officers and engaged in a standoff inside the school for over an hour, state police officials said. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/25/us/shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde

A well regulated militia is a group of armed civilians under leadership, other wise it is a mob. We the U.S. are a country independent of our former government because of a armed militia, we were British subjects that was our government until we overthrew it and formed our own government. Disturbed people intent on mayhem will find a way to kill, a vehicle running down pedestrians, gallons of gas burning down a work place, improvised explosives made from fireworks and pressure cookers or guns, it will happen.

e-beach said:
The gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers in a rural Texas elementary school on Tuesday entered the building despite being confronted by an armed school security officer
So much for "the only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" meme.

can't help but notice the absolute zero mention the past 3 years of the op's own stank.
(and no need to point out n-Z from o-Z)
hey pot, meet kettle.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...f-australian-terrorist-was-radicalised-online

whenever shit like this makes international news, in germany people watching will nod knowingly & mutter under their breath "das ist amerika" in their smug superiority, canada's no different

having lived next to the states for over half a century, i *think* i've come to understand why this is the necessary lesser of two evils.
freedom costs.
while canada germany australia et. al. get a free ride so they can look down their nose.

[youtube]UfKABeRKSc0[/youtube]
[youtube]PQ8R7R0xT1E[/youtube]
[youtube]SDTZ7iX4vTQ[/youtube]
[youtube]q0h143iKVEo[/youtube]
[youtube]mBqiC5ox8Bw[/youtube]
[youtube]5vTOL5yZczs[/youtube]
[youtube]xG3yGdQYwqg[/youtube]

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
whenever shit like this makes international news, in germany people watching will nod knowingly & mutter under their breath "das ist amerika" in their smug superiority, canada's no different.
Well, they do have some justification to feel superior.
US gun death rate per 100K people: 12.2
Germany: .9
Canada: 2

That gun death rate includes suicides, which skew the figure significantly. Just so you know.
The CDC states the homicide by firearm to be 5.9 per 100,000.
Thus, guns are used in the United States for suicide more often than to murder someone.

If murder, not the use of a specific tool to do it, is of interest to you.. the United States is a more violent than average 'first world' nation. There's roughly 5 times the crime/overall violence here than everywhere else near our league.

Guns are not the reason for that - Americans are.

neptronix said:
If murder, not the use of a specific tool to do it, is of interest to you.. the United States is a more violent than average 'first world' nation. There's roughly 5 times the crime/overall violence here than everywhere else near our league.

It's the guns. They're the thing that differs most from everybody else. I bet if you looked at homicides not using guns, our murder rate would line up nicely with the other economic peers.

neptronix said:
That gun death rate includes suicides, which skew the figure significantly. Just so you know.
Yes. 54% of those deaths are suicide, which of course is still a gun death. And in Germany, 84% of gun deaths are suicides; in Canada 50% are. So the adjusted numbers for just gun homicides:
US: 5.6
Germany: .14
Canada: 1

Like I said, they have very good justification to be smug. They have figured out how to keep gun deaths fairly low; we have not.

The United States is a more violent than average 'first world' nation. There's roughly 5 times the crime/overall violence here than everywhere else near our league.
Could it be that when you shoot someone with a gun during a robbery, they are more likely to die than if you hit them with a piece of pipe?

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's get two similarly violent groups of criminals. Give one a set of wooden sticks. Give the other handguns and all the ammo they can carry. Have them rob a few stores. Do you think you might see a difference in deaths between the two groups? Which one would likely end up killing more people?

I'll leave you with an interesting graph.

Attachments

• Guns_vs_homicides.jpg
    Guns_vs_homicides.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 953
Chalo said:
It's the guns. They're the thing that differs most from everybody else. I bet if you looked at homicides not using guns, our murder rate would line up nicely with the other economic peers.

It's going to be quite hard to prove that point.
The United States has many more guns per person than anyone else.. yet.. there are hundreds of countries that are exponentially more violent that have a fraction of the guns.

2022-05-27 05_43_30-Gun ownership - Wikipedia.png

View attachment 2

Guns may make it easier to murder, ya... but across the world, plenty of people with murderous intent have no problem killing a lot of people without them.

You've surely noticed that the UK is a more peaceful place than here in the USA..
.. but they have their problem areas where no amount of 'knife control' works out for them.

816.jpg

What's the difference between those areas? it's not access to weapons.
Same goes for America..

2022-05-27 06_20_26-Stats of the States - Homicide Mortality.png

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm

Like Texas, Utah absolutely loves it's guns.. in fact, our gun ownership rate is a bit higher than Texans'.
..yet Utah's murder rate is 3 times lower.
..and if you look at a map of gun ownership rate in the USA and compare it to homicide rates.. you will find that the link between 'more guns' = 'more murder' to be a quite loose correlation - it's absolutely all over the map.

It turns out that access to certain weapons is one of the least effective ways to determine whether a place is murder-y or not.

A better way to figure out whether a place is murder-y is:
+ Is there a healthy society/culture in the area?
+ What percentage of the people are living in desperation?
+ What's the level of education there?
+ Are there any racial/sexual/cultural/religious conflicts in the area?

These are the questions i ask before i move to a particular area. If i judged Utah on the basis that i saw tons of gun range/seller billboards all over the main metro freeway, i would have been dead wrong on my threat assessment.

The real problem with weapons is the people who chose to use them maliciously. If you desire safety, don't get away from guns, get away from ( or fix ) places with large populations of crazy/degenerate/dissheveled/desperate people. Switching out guns for knives and black market guns won't do much to make an unsafe area safer.

Going after the root causes of violent behavior will be more effective than chasing it's symptoms.

Attachments

• 2022-05-27 05_46_17-20201023 UNODC Intentional homicides by country - highest rates and most p...png
    2022-05-27 05_46_17-20201023 UNODC Intentional homicides by country - highest rates and most p...png
    110.1 KB · Views: 932
By the way, a majority of mass shooters are on some psychiatric medication, typically a SSRI.
SSRIs are known in medical literature to have homocidal and suicidal ideation as a side effect.

I have taken a SSRI and experienced both of the above and it was so terrifying that it put a scar on my conscience to even HAVE those thoughts.

Another common denominator in school shooters is being socially mis-adjusted and bullied in school.
..and thus far, we have yet to figure out how to not make our public schools schools resemble anything like a safe environment.

Ok, get those guns banned, but the above problems, and more contributing factors will still need to be solved.

..because that teenager who has a chip on his shoulder from being humiliated in school for over a decade who is now taking the wrong mind altering drugs to pacify his emotional distress is one of the most dangerous individuals in society today.

neptronix said:
the United States is a more violent than average 'first world' nation. There's roughly 5 times the crime/overall violence here than everywhere else near our league.

Um... let's see. Pew Research says:
Nearly eight-in-ten (79%) U.S. murders in 2020 – 19,384 out of 24,576 – involved a firearm.

79 percent is very, very close to 4 out of 5.

It's the guns. If you have a machine to reduce the work/effort required to do a task, you can do more of it, more easily. Experience suggests you'll do whatever it is, when you otherwise would decide against it.

Cars and freeways are another system that makes Americans do a whole lot of something they don't necessarily even want to do.

It's the people.
Access to guns has zero correlation to the amount of murder going on anywhere in the world.
It's obvious why most people in America would chose a gun as a murder tool - it's a great tool for the job.

The most violent places in the world have the least amount of guns, and in those places you need to worry about IEDs, knives, bats, and rocks a LOT more than you have to worry about guns in the United States.

A tool of violence is not the cause of the violence. it's not that easy.

neptronix said:
It's the people.
Access to guns has zero correlation to the amount of murder going on anywhere in the world.
It's obvious why most people in America would chose a gun as a murder tool - it's a great tool for the job.

The most violent places in the world have the least amount of guns, and in those places you need to worry about IEDs, knives, bats, and rocks a LOT more than you have to worry about guns in the United States.

Are you suggesting that this little prick in Uvalde would have killed 19 kids and 2 teachers with a knife or a pointed stick?

It's the guns. Americans are still people, like everybody else. The key variable is the guns.

neptronix said:
It's the people.

Look here:
Mass shootings in the United States

Notice what they all have in common? Guns. Guns yea that is the way to get on this list. Also looking at the last 2, seems like white guys who might need a hair cut?
0_Ten-People-Killed-In-Mass-Shooting-At-Buffalo-Food-Market.jpg

Salvador_Ramos_2022.png

11537.jpg

Chalo, Would you like a hair cut? I got Photoshop.

Without guns this list would not exist. Also notice the words "Semi-automatic" There is a whole lot I don't know about guns, but if I was looking to get on the list here:
Mass shootings in the United States
Semi-automatic is the type of gun I would be shopping for.

To stop this craziness. Stop selling guns to every
Chalo said:
dumb dick
Stop selling guns to Dumb Dicks as Chalo says. Or better yet just stop selling guns to any idiot who might be having a bad hair day.

machanic said:
2763 dead world trade center, no guns, box cutters.
Yea good luck with that. See if you can round up 20 guys to fly planes into 4 targets. After 911 I said to a friend. That was a pretty well organized event. He said "I can't find one guy to rake my leaves."

Might be easier to go buy a gun?

Chalo said:
Are you suggesting that this little prick in Uvalde would have killed 19 kids and 2 teachers with a knife or a pointed stick?

It's the guns. Americans are still people, like everybody else. The key variable is the guns.

It's not, and i proved it previously that gun ownership rates have no correlation with gun violence on a global or inter-state scale.
Societal dysfunction is the key variable.

Also... there's around 100 ways a dissheveled person who is determined to get revenge could kill a lot of people. Lack of access to 1 of those 100 weapons does not stop a person from mass murdering.

2022-05-27 18_08_44-School attacks in China - Wikipedia.png

vehicle ramming.png

...and realistically, there is no way to prevent violent people from getting guns in their hands. A gun is too easy to make, and getting increasingly easier to make as time goes on.

2022-05-27 18_19_22-Improvised _Stapler_ Firearms from Papua New Guinea -The Firearm Blog.jpg

[youtube]C4dBuPJ9p7A[/youtube]

UK learned this themselves.. banned guns.. so people kill each other with knives and bats instead.
How did banning guns in the UK go?

2022-05-26 13_49_35-8401477913_87ac4cdea6_b.jpg (843×567).jpg

[youtube]OPR00j7vEIM[/youtube]

Ah yeah, so now guns are black market and therefore mainly in the hands of criminals out there. Sounds like a great deal for the law abiding citizen..

neptronix said:
Ah yeah, so now guns are black market and therefore mainly in the hands of criminals out there. Sounds like a great deal for the law abiding citizen..

It is a great deal for the law abiding citizen, who's many times more likely to shoot himself or another household member, or be shot by another household member, than he is to shoot an intruder. People think they're somehow safer with a gun in the house, but the data show a very different story.

Back